1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting Article On Wireless EV Charging

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Pads remain perfectly operational and safe in any conditions"

Famous last words.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ;)

I hear there's an experimental/teslacoil quick-charge version in the works too. It's a little touchy ... but it doubles as a theft deterant, as well as a wireless car charger, so - either way . . . .

[​IMG]

no?

2 people like this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    have to agree; putting the efficiency and losses aside, with power transfer rates one can imagine sitting inside 1200wt microwave being safer.
    :target:

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How safe are they? What is the gap between the pad on the road and the one on the car? What happens if a child reaches under when the car is charging (as in reaching to get a ball?) or if a cat thinks it would be nice to sit on that nice warm pad under the car?

Will they be OK or will they be zapped?

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both I hope. That'll learn 'em. :p

7. MontyTheEngineer

MontyTheEngineer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The energy's the pad to the vehicle through a magnetic field, not an electric field. You wouldn't get shocked. Rolls Royce is using this for their electric Phantom (yeah, a Rolls EV. Crazy huh?).

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

What would people that wear tin foil hats while passing under power lines and are convinced that cell phones give you cancer do.:D

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They never venture out - its not safe - so they stay inside their tinfoil lined room trolling Prius forums. :eek:

Well that's my take on it :cool:

10. MichaelTJones

MichaelTJones New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This really IS interesting. They are rediscovering Tesla's work here.
    It's also sad that the petrol industry will do anything in it's power to prevent technologies like this one. And it's power if influence is quite large as it extends its tentacles all across the globe.

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good to hear that Toyota has invested in WiTricity. Not surprised to see Apple taking an interest. Shocked to learn that Italian city buses have implemented this since 2002! And glad to know that NZ is a pioneer in this field (as I plan to retire there someday).

Great article. Thanks for posting.

12. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Wii controllers recharge without being plugged in, my iPhone and iPad recharge just by sitting on a pad... Why not a car?

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could see where this could develop or be specifically used in certain situations to advantage.

But in general? For privately owned EV's? Doesn't seem to make much sense at this point. Because it's only "wireless" from the standpoint of electrical generation...to vehicle....pad to pad..via magnetic field. Well something HAS to be wired, be it electricity source to recharging pad or electricity source to vehicle socket via conventional wired cord.

So for "most" private owners who concievably must be parking indoors and in a garage the advantage at most seems minimal almost non-existent.

For the rest of us? Getting a wired "Pad" installed in a specific location to allow the process to happen I think would be far more problematic than simply plugging in a vehicle.

Long term, if an infrastructure existed..perhaps for fleet vehicles being used and stored at specific locations then perhaps it makes sense.

I think it's valid and necessary technology, but I think we are still a long way from the point where it makes sense for most "private" owners to apply.

Baby steps I suppose. But I think we are a long way from cutting the cord...

14. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two easy differences present themselves. 1) Distance between the pad and the battery is significantly larger. 2) The wattage is much higher, look at the difference in wire size between a iPhone charger charging a a few volts, and maybe an amp, to that for a car charger which is at 100s of volts and 10s of amps (1000s of times the wattage).

Additionally, consider what effect any of the following have on the pad: snow, water, wet leaves,stray pieces of metal.

I am not saying that it won't work, I am not completely conversant with the engineering; however, it is not clear to me that the engineering is exhaustively tested, certainly not to the level of 'perfectly safe'.

15. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think wired and wireless charging will be complementary, not mutually exclusive.

16. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In addition to having wired charging as a backup for wireless, and vice versa, would EVs still need to have a generator onboard (petrol based perhaps) as a third backup?

17. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm still thinking about the neighbor's cat that keeps walking on my vehicles. Instead of unplugging each morning, I'd spend a few minutes with a shovel getting rid of Sum Yung Feline, a new Chinese delicacy.

---
    I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.757580,-83.713950"]Google Maps[/ame]
    - iPad ?

18. MontyTheEngineer

MontyTheEngineer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but Mr. Kitty would be just fine after walking across the charging pad. It uses a magnetic field, so it's got zero interaction with anything living unless they've got a pacemaker or other metal implant.

19. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe it needs a studded collar as a present. :)

---
    - iPad ?