1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting CO{2} experiment

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 22, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks to the CORVID-19 pandemic, travel has significantly decreased with measurable improvements in air quality. Yet we have this report from last summer: Greenland Lost Around 600 Billion Tons Of Ice Last Summer | IFLScience

Greenland lost around 600 billion tons of ice during the exceptionally warm Arctic summer of 2019, enough to raise global sea levels by 2.2 millimeters in two months. While much of this water would have returned back into ice once winter came around, the remarkable scale of thawing is certainly a cause for concern.

New research led by the University of California, Irvine (UCI), and NASA has used satellite gravity measurements to assess the thickness and span of ice sheets in both Greenland and Antarctica. Reported in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, the team estimated that Greenland lost 4,550 billion tons of ice between 2002 and 2019, an average of 268 billion tons annually. The rate of melting appears to be on the increase too, with last summer's losses in Greenland equaling more than double the yearly average between 2002 and 2019.
    . . .

Nothing will change the opinions of skeptics but we should see some interesting data about CO{2} and sea level in a year or two. Hope we'll be around to read 'em. I'm thinking back to the mini-chill in 2001 after 9/11 grounded airliners over the USA and the contrails went away.

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok Mayor:

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe I'll pull out my copy of Jaws while stuck at home.

The Birds was because I've been having the same conflation with COVID.

5. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We could see decreases in CO2 rates of increases, once the seasonal natural rise & fall of CO2 is accounted for. I'm most curious about methane level possible drops in rate increases, which might be greater percentage wise, than C02? The strongly increasing ppb increases from Arctic perma-frosts will also be interesting to monitor for rates of ups & downs. Parts of those rate ups & downs may be accounted for by yearly increases or decreases of temperature due to random weather. Of course, any rate increases or decreases of nitrogen oxides, as well as Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, will be interesting.
    In all, you point to a good subject for investigation.

#5 litesong, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  6. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't know if the reductions in CO2 will show up so quickly in Arctic ice (my impression is that the time lag is longer than a year), but COVID-19 shutdowns are definitely apparent in other air pollutants:

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting to see if Mauna Loa observing station shows a noticeable CO2 difference.
    This biggest change is probably some longer term change in travel and commute habits,. more working at home etc.

Another huge +eco change this year 2020 is the ocean going vessels having to stop using high sulfur bunker fuels unless they scrub etc. Presumably this is saving countless megatons of sulfur. particulates, and I assume NOx from entering the ocean. I really hope we can see some positives.

iplug likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: reduced nitrogen dioxide emissions over China

As I posted to another thread, reductions of the same over the U.S. too:
    Satellite images show less pollution over the US as coronavirus shuts down public places

Trollbait, Rmay635703 and noonm like this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A coarse indicator of how much motor vehicle traffic has fallen in Washington State:

"11:25 am

Traffic-related crashes in Washington fell by two-thirds last week compared to 2019, data show

As more drivers are heeding pleas to avoid unnecessary trips, motor vehicle crashes in Washington fell 67% last week compared to the same time period last year, according to reports from the Washington State Patrol.

During the third week of March last year, there were 2,014 crashes. Using the same time period, weekday collision data compiled by the personal injury firm Davis Law Group show there were 656 crashes. ..."

This is one of many items strung together on a daily update page:
    Live: Coronavirus daily news updates, March 23: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation | The Seattle Times

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The commute was great while I was still driving to work.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Running my usual errands, instead of being +5 mph over the speed limit, there are a lot of folks going +15 mph. Then tonight:
    Pedestrian killed in wreck on Memorial Parkway | WHNT.com

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A pedestrian was killed in a wreck on Memorial Parkway access road near Redstone Federal Credit Union. HEMSI emergency crews arrived at the scene but the person died at the scene. Huntsville police closed the southbound lanes of Memorial Parkway from Drake Avenue to Joe Davis Stadium.
    . . .

Bob Wilson