1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting diagonosis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vjz, May 12, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Is there anything that you can do to get the exact codes? Most of them are P0Axx. Just get the codes and otherwise ignore the person behind the counter. It is rare that a service advisor knows anything about a Prius, other than it is easy to scare people.

autobeyours.com in Scottsburg, IN, is a ways away, but it would be your best bet for a salvage inverter, battery or transaxle, if that turns out to be the problem. Better that than a $4,000 repair at a dealer that you don't trust.

Did you open the hood and check to see if there was turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir when the car is in Ready, as shown in the video?

2. vjz

vjz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I do not know how to get the exact codes. And now that they are cleared, I can't really do much but either wait to see if it comes on again.

I can't afford another tow home either. We get three per year from AAA and I need to save it in case we get stranded somewhere far from home. I've already burned two on this damn car.

And since they cleared the codes, I can't tell what the problem is. I don't have the time or money to drive down to Scottsburg and drop a ton of cash on an unknown problem.

I haven't checked anything yet. I had to get back to work.

I recall the guy saying it won't even go into Ready mode.

You can only put the car in Neutral or Park. I was able to get it into Neutral to push it out of the parking garage last night.

Yeah I'm not really sure what we will do. I do honestly believe that they screwed something up and won't own up for it. I can't prove it either, which sucks.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It still sounds like they botched installing the water pump. What will happen with a bad pump is that the car will operate normally until the inverter overheats. When that happens, the warning lights come on, but the car will continue to operate. But with the inverter no longer charging the 12V battery, it's going to drain rather rapidly. Eventually the 12V battery will reach a level of maybe 10V and the electronics goes wonky.

The first ECU to fail because of low voltage varies. Some units can just tolerate out of spec voltage better than others. But even at low voltage, an ECU may retain enough functionality to declare itself sick, and set the a DTC. Or it may just make incorrect decisions, leading to failures in other parts of the system.

So eventually you're at the side of the road and turn the car off. If the smart key system has failed, then it may block the normal method of turning off. Plugging the keyfob into the dash uses alternate equipment that may still be operating.

Once you've stopped the drain on the 12V battery, it recovers slightly over the next few minutes. If you turned the car off at 10V, the battery may recover to 10.2V. If you wait long enough, the inverter may even come back to life. So you can start the car again and it will work until the 12V battery goes too low again.

Eventually the car gets to the shop, and they try to pull the codes. The list will consist of all the ECUs that couldn't tolerate the low battery voltage. Mind you those same ECUs work fine when the voltage is normal.

The 12V battery will be flat. If it's on its last legs, it may even be identified as the source of the problems. But if recharging the 12V battery is successful, then it's not the original problem, only the victim.

Hopefully the inverter protected itself from permanent damage by shutting down. Once it gets normal cooling, it should work fine.

The most likely problem is that there is air trapped in the cooling circuit.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I seems to me that the simple job of checking for flow in the coolant loop (by casual inspection of the turbulence/flow in the reservoir above the inverter) is something that all we all should take the time to do these days. I know that when I first heard of these types of problem that was the first thing I did, to familiarize myself with what it should look like when working correctly. That should give me a good reference point to compare against if at some point in the future I ever have this type of problem.

This procedure is as easy as checking the dipstick and I think it's something we all can do. It's really annoying to hear so many tales of the dealers stuffing up this simple issue. My condolences to the OP. :(