1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting Ford Escape Hybrid Article

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Hornhonker, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Hornhonker

Hornhonker New Member

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds good =)

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Using "an Aktinson-cycle four-cylinder" was listed as a difference from Toyota's Synergy system. That's incorrect. Toyota does too.

Using "active battery cooling" was listed as a difference as well. Toyota doesn't need that, because they utilizes battery modules with better thermal abilities instead. Ford is currently stuck with D-cells, so they have to do something special to deal with that excess heat.

A difference that was not mentioned was the fact that maximum electric drive speed is 25 MPH for Ford's system and 42 MPH for Toyota's system. Another was that Toyota has electric A/C, so their complaint only applies to the Ford.

That blog was actually pretty well written. And the illustrations were nice. Hopefully, the misleading content will be corrected. It would be helpful if consistent terminology was used too. For example, the "stealth" ability was referred to several different ways.

Lastly the "The Aktinson-cycle engine offers improved fuel economy, while sacrificing low-end power," sentence was very misleading. Power is indeed sacrificed by using that type of cycle; however, having the electric motor compensates for that.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    During the test drive with the Ford Escape Hybrid, I did notice that it'll stay in EV mode for longer than the Prius. Unlike the Prius, it seems to want to stay in EV mode and hence you can press harder on the accelerator and not have the engine start. However, above 40km/h it will start no matter what.

5. Hornhonker

Hornhonker New Member

There is no doubt the Prius is still the most advanced hybrid out there.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They do point out that the Ford is a much better packed system than the Toyota system, which is kinda cool. I have a Prius, but it's nice to see the home team get ahead on one. :)

7. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I doubt that putting MG1 in the transaxle is really a better protected position. MG2 is still in the engine compartment.

8. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Here is another story I got today on the Escape:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102828

The headline in the e-mail I got about it says:

:AutoWeek - USA
    ... Unlike the quirky Toyota Prius, the Escape Hybrid doesn't announce to the world its eco-friendly nature (that may be a bad thing for some people), and the on ... "

In the body of the article they say that it does not pay to buy the car as it is so much more than the 4 cylinder version of the Escape - BUT then they go on to say that it really should be compared to the 6 cyclinder version based on its power. The difference in price there is only $1880 they claim. Well, if you factor in the tax credit for buying the hybrid version it sounds like it is a no brainer that the hybrid is a much better buy.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Hearing the whine of the electric during assist or regeneration is strange at first, but then becomes a novel reminder that you’re driving a hybrid."

Does the Prius do that? I don't remember hearing that noise and I hear any noise that a car makes if it's unpleasant or strange.

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep... You can definetly hear it.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Must not be unpleasant to my ears then, Jonnycat. The one thing that I do notice every time, though, is when I roll up to the mailbox and the car is utterly silent, save for the sound that the tires make as they roll over the pavement.

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Honestly, you're not going fast enough. Anything under 8mph, you're using your regular brakes and not the regen. If you turn everything down try slowly breaking from about 30mph. It's not a harsh noise, but you can definetly notice it.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It took a little time, Jonnycat, but I finally heard what they're referring to. It's a sound that reminds me of a jet engine turbine (obviously at a lower decibel level though). I've heard it before but I rather like it; it sounds pretty cool to me and is subtle. Maybe the Ford hybrid system's sound is more obnoxious <shrug>.

14. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's possible.. but the gas Escape I've been in was definetly quieter than my Prius. But I think that's just because the Prius is a bit noisy while cruising the highway. I have no idea what the EH would sound like at low speed.

15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with your other statements, but I think this one is due to selective reading/quoting. The quote in better context is:

"The Aktinson-cycle engine offers improved fuel economy, while sacrificing low-end power. This sacrifice is well matched with the instant power available from the electric traction motor."

...which does note that the electric moter compensates for the sacrifice in power.