1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting fuel economy drop with defroster

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by austingreen, Nov 5, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On saturday I drove to a 5K foot race 18 miles away on the new F1 Circuit of the Americas. Its 18 miles away and I thought I would get great mileage out there, so I zeroed the trip B and drove.

We had thick fog that morning, and I spent a lot of time between 40 and 55 mph because of poor visibility. I also had to use my defroster most of the trip. I was at about 45 mpg indicated, before hitting the traffic jam to the track. Its going to be awful when the real race happens and they get car race instead of running race traffic. When I parked I was at 42 mpg. The battery was at 2 bars.

Coming back without the defroster, and going much faster I got 54 mpg indicated. It would have been higher, but I was at about 30mpg after 2 miles as the car used gas to charge the battery.

Did most of the mileage hit come from the defroster? There isn't much elevation change, but hills in between, so its not from uphill versus downhill. Temperatures were in the low 60s going there, low 70s coming back. The car sat for 2 hours and it seemed to go through the full start up dance.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that the defroster uses the AC. Mix that in with it possibly pulling some heat off the engine to not make it so cold and ya the defroster can really mess with FE.

austingreen likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At least in Gen 2, a pair of electric (PTC) heaters run whenever the defroster is on, so the electrical load is about 370 watts higher.

The ptc heater | PriusChat

austingreen likes this.