1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting note on fuel

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Randi, May 19, 2020.

1. Randi

Randi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Interesting Note on our fuel sipping hybrid.

I found this only in the 2020 Owner’s Manual Quick Guide on the very last page.

I hope this helps. FED5F36E-810B-4DA4-9B3B-B734D09357B2.jpeg

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It’s in my 2018 manual. I suspect all the Prime manuals have it. The topic has been discussed multiple times albeit not recently.

Randi likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why do they repeat themselves in parentheses in the first part, and what is 'a certain amount of time' in the second?

4. Randi

Randi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The certain amount of time I would translate as “a long time “.

5. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Gained in translation? :)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because they want to emphasize that it says "a total of". So they're implying that as long as within a 12-month period, you add fuel, as long as you add 20L (whether it's 20L at once or 5L, 4 times during the 12 months), you're fine.

7. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've gone almost 10 months without adding fuel and have never seen that message. At the end of that 9.5 months, the tank was still 7/8ths full.

8. Randi

Randi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    wow! I googled how long does gas stay fresh and it says about a month.

9. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As you know "everything" you read on Google and Wikipedia is true.
    I'd say your number is low.
    In today's world the gas underground is already bad according to your number.

10. Randi

Randi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I never really thought about that! :)

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on what you're using it for. my lawnmower manual also says one month, but car fuel systems are closed

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In PRIME, I use the engine often enough on HV, a full tank rarely lasts longer than a month. Now, with COVID-19 stay home order, the full tank is going to last more than two months, but doubt it will go much longer than that. So, I never worried about freshness of the gas in my PRIME.

But in my small gas engine machines, gas often sit in the tank over winter (for summer equipments like lawnmower) or over summer (for winter equipments like snow thrower). Yeah, the manual says to fill with fresh gas each time used. But I am not going to run to a gas station to buy 0.5 gal of fresh gas each time I have to cut grass. But I did buy ethanol free gas for my small yard machines last time. I did put Stabil but it's been sitting in a jerry can more than a month now. :(

benagi and snead_c like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. as long as i'm using them frequently, having a few gallons on hand doesn't seem to be an issue

14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So.....what is your plan going forward ?

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That figure is for gas in a generic plastic can for the lawnmower. The tank of a car sealed tighter. Even then, gas lasts longer than a month when it comes for most uses. Friend got a car that started up on the ten year old gas in the tank.

Gasoline goes 'bad' because of evaporation and oxidation. The lighter compounds float off, and air reacts with the rest, forming undesirable ones. The evaporation controls on a car greatly limit how much of the light stuff escapes the tank, and limits the amount of air getting to basically just replacing the space left but used fuel. As plastic gas can has none of those systems. Its the difference between a closed bottle of water in the fridge, and an open one on the counter.

Short term, the gas in the can will lower in octane. Which is probably the main reason power equipment calls for midgrade fuel. When someone uses the gas from last season, it is still high enough octane to not damage the engine. Long term, the undesirable compounds will lead to bad deposits in the engine. That friend bent a couple of push rods because of the gum build up in that car.

The gas in stations around me usually aren't in the tank for longer than a couple of weeks.

While I had gas lawn equipment, I just dumped any leftover gas at the end of the season into the car; even the small bit of oil mixed stuff. I think it is more important to run whatever dry before storing. The little bit that is left in the equipments' tank probably goes bad faster than in the gas can. I also added a shot of acetone of rubbing alcohol to the first tank of the season to clean out water and gunk in the carb.

16. Randi

Randi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well that makes me feel better. Thanks Trollbait for some great information. ❤️ Randi

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let us know when you get to 12 and if you see that message.

Half of my tank is from Nov. I topped up in March to take advantage of cheap gas. Now that I think about it, I probably didn't have to since I needed to burn it off to put in summer fuel. Oh well. Now I have a full tank lol.

Randi likes this.
  18. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Might happen. COVID-19 has cancelled our two driving vacations this year. I filled up Dec. 10th last year. I have burned about a half gallon since and I can't tell by the gauge if anything is different from completely full. The Miles to Empty says 505 miles. At this rate it could take several years to go through this tankl!

benagi, Tideland Prius and Randi like this.
  19. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is no additive that will recondition stale gasoline. That said, I'd add some good gas system additive. Pick one that claims to improve general engine operation, clean things, remove moisture in the system, and maybe also stabilize fuel. Dose according to label instructions. Run in HV operation until that fuel is mainly consumed.

Then, for this situation, I'd look for ethanol-free gas, fill up, and add a gasoline stabilizer. You'll be good for many more months this way. Ordinarily I don't care about ethanol, but gasoline with ethanol does need a stabilizer when stored many months. So does gasoline without ethanol, but the problem is less. (Well, I care about ethanol about 5 pm every afternoon, especially ethanol with added flavoring of juniper berries, or maybe smoky peat.)

benagi likes this.
  20. Channell

Channell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am in a situation where no daily amount of driving exceeds 32 miles and my 2017 Prime is getting 32-35 miles to a charge. I have not added fuel since July 5 when I took my last long trip. I have about 1 gallon of fuel in the tank. I plan to keep driving without adding fuel until I get that warning to add fresh fuel. My miles per charge seemed to increase as the amount of fuel in my tank decreased. I guess 10-11 gallons of gas might be heavy enough to affect miles per charge?