1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting notes on Electric cars, premature?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SR13, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Intriguing title ... how Volt will be "better" ... not different aspects of "where" it's better ... not how it's "better or worse" ... not how it "differs" ... call me intuitive ... even befor I read it, I'm going to know where the author is coming from. :p

2. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ancient thread.. not my title or idea for a thread. Both are good, each in its own way, for different needs.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Strangely, the OP only made that single post 1/2 yr ago, then poof.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Even so (for example), 2012 Leaf sales were up over 80% above year 2011 sales. Lots of "unexpecteds" were going on too. In japan, a Nuke melt down, power outage, horrible economy, tidal wave, terrible dollar/yen exchange rate etc. So things are getting better in that regard. Hind sight is 20/20. We look back at the dismal start-up for the Prius when it began in the U.S., and you'd have thought they might have canceled it 10 years ago.

Zythryn likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Morning Drive section has a 'Focus Electric' ad'd for 'low' price of only $34,990 after $4k dealer discount and $2k Ford Credit. But, you get a $7,500 Fed credit too (and maybe CA credit?) Or, $179 / mo lease

..... but, get to window sticker to find out the thing only goes 73 miles on a full charge. What? ... Amazing ford sold 81 of them across US in jan.

That's a lot of discounts and credits to move a 'compliance car' off the lot.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    81 is good for the focus EV, it sold only 685 last year. That 73 is likely the 2012 leaf, the focus range is 76 miles. 81 cars is probably fine for ford. The focus EV is not really a compliance car, for is mainly using it to test their ev system and dip their tow in the water. If it was compliance only they would only be selling them in California like the Rav4 bev or the bmw active e. There is no way ford wants to cut the price as far as the leaf, but it needs to get enough cars out there to get experience. The discounts will end as soon as ford gets the number of customers ford wants. If the leaf starts selling well, ford will have some experience to get a more competitive car out there. Think of it as a just in case car. I'm sure the engineers at ford have already started designing a next generation based on customer feedback and what Tesla and Nissan are doing.