1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting observation since owning a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Myrdx, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've learned that it is the no trunk issue. Cars seem closer. I had the same issue with my 2006 Scion XB. Cars seemed much closer, because they are. But they are still within a reasonable distance.

2. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is some observations :

The reason why the majority (not all) of the population hate prius drivers are the following:

They accelerate extremely slow (the pace it gets to cruising speed)

hyper milers (self explanatory)

Left lane hugging (not letting traffic pass and lying to themselves that they are doing the speed limit to justify hugging the left lane)

Huge (multi car) gap space between the prius and the car in front of it.

Some prius drivers try to regen with severals cars behind it.

iPhone ?

3. ryankokesh

ryankokesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've noticed a big difference by region. I used to live in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, and never noticed people right behind me. Even though folks drive relatively crazily there.

Moved to Indiana, though, and people constantly do it. Even had one guy pull up next to me at a light in his truck and threw a cigarette at me while yelling derogatory stuff. Fun times.

iPhone ?

4. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You must be referring to secondary roads. On the Mass Pike, 10-15 over the speed limit is the norm. I have to drive the far right lane to avoid getting hit. Now have to contend with the 18 wheelers...

merged

Totally agree. Since driving a Prius, it has changed my driving habits. I tend to go with the slower traffic flow on the right lanes.

#24 Bay Stater, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  5. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Driving a Prius has not changed my driving habits at all. I drive it like I would drive another car. Im normally out in the fast lane going along with traffic flow. I get about 44 to 45 MPG city and 45 to 47 highway. Happy with those MPG. I am in Texas and have a NRA and a Sig Sauer decal on lower rear window. No problem with tailgaters other than the normal ones we get here. Life's to short to spend it in the slow lane.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  6. Quattro

Quattro Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is true. And not just tailgating, I noticed people tends to want to cut in front of Prius. For example, I'm in the slow lane going the speed limit and someone wants to change into the lane to exit the freeway. Most cars tend to want to speed up and cut in front of me even if there is a huge gap behind my car. I do not notice such behavior if I'm driving other cars.

bisco likes this.
  7. ryankokesh

ryankokesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed. I've noticed that quite a bit as well.

iPhone ?

8. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    duplicated

It's not only for Prius, don't take it too personally. I think Prius drivers in SFBA are pretty good guys and girls. Go with the flow, no hanging on fast lane, unless going fast. I had an impression it was different way probably five years ago.

Regarding streets, I don't speed in residential areas. And it is not because I can be fined, just my decision for sake pedestrians

bisco and lar.smith42 like this.
  9. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in lovely Nashville, Tennessee. I've driven over most of the country and Tennessee is the only place I've noticed that the when you cross into the state within ten miles people on the roads get twice as rude.
    I can definitely say that when driving in the Prius or in my company branded Ford F250 it's the same treatment. People floor it to get ahead of me when they're merging only to slow back down and realize I'm doing 5-10 over and now riding their bumper, people twitch back and forth while tailgating me debating if they should go over the double line to get ahead of me while I'm doing 5-10 over then when they get a chance to pass me and do they realize how fast they're going and slow down till I'm riding their bumper. People see a Prius or a company truck and get nervous of being stuck behind someone that goes 5mph under the speed limit but never looks to see if you're actually slow. Yet once I get in an everyday car like my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee or any of my friends/families typical daily driver cars they don't have such issues.

sprtent and bisco like this.
  10. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Use the dynamic cruise. Set it and forget it. Tennessee is such a looong state.

11. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not lucky enough to have that feature unfortunately. It would make my trips to Arizona so much nicer, instead I am stuck routing my trips for more night than day to lessen traffic.

12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not a slow driver. But I've experienced several tailgaters since getting my Prius, including the nuts that "weave" back and forth behind me.

Many times, the person tailgating me is a younger woman. Sure, there's always some dude in a pickup truck... but watch out for those soccer moms, too! I try and avoid school zones in the mornings. Some of those women are crazy.

bisco and herqulees like this.
  13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

i said the same thing in another PC subforum and was attacked by a crazy PC member who didn't like to hear the truth (post since deleted by admin).

fortunately in my area, most prius drivers are normal people who are too busy with life and profession to be obsessed with hypermilling.

i have encountered only a few slow prius drivers who would block the traffic during the usual traffic hours congestion. i quickly passed them with disdain and only hoped they got the message.

lar.smith42 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  14. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before I bought my Prius, I told myself I would be fine with only 45 mpg. (My V6 Camry was getting only 17 in the city!) I keep my car in the Eco mode, but I drive it just like I did any other vehicle. I'm not sure I even know what "hypermilimg" is. Whatever. I get 60 mpg without even trying.

I'm doing 10 over the speed limit, keeping up with everyone else. But there's always the occasional freak that tailgates, and then tries to swoop around me on the left. I cut off a couple of those guys... then I decided to not do that again. I like my windows with NO bullet holes. :eek:

#34 Coast Cruiser, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Bay Stater likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fortunately in my area, most drivers have a wider concept of what is considered 'normal', and are not as obsessed with insisting that others drive at the same speed as themselves.
    Why are so many drivers, from a certain area, so concerned about bullet holes? In much of the rest of the country, in both legally gun-rich and gun-sparse zones, the highway bullet hole problem is negligible compared to the basic motor vehicle collision rate.

solrunner likes this.
  16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, thanks for letting me know. looks like an area to avoid.