1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting Performance Gain

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by EZW1, Jul 9, 2016.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know Toyota recommends no more than 87/89 octane in the tank. That is what I've always used. But here in Phoenix, when the summer temps get quite hot, and using the A/C is a fact of life, I've noticed somewhat sluggish performance while running around. Yes, my mileage is still better than average, but still sluggish.

I know the engine has an engine knock sensor, that used with the engine electronics, will retard the ignition timing when it sense knock occurring. This in turn will also drop performance, or 'pep.'

So I got an idea at yesterday's fill-up at the gas station. I decided to pump 89 octane instead of the usual 87 that I always pump. This was at the same station I always buy gas from, so I'm not mixing brands here. All afternoon yesterday (the temp was 109), last night (the temp was 100), and now this morning (the temp is 87), I've notice a predictable increase in performance. But what was suspected, was also an increase in mileage gain. That is, I've noticed while using 87 octane, I would have to push the car harder to achieve acceleration I desire, and mpg gain while cruising at the 'sweet spot' was very slow. But with 89 octane I don't have to push it as hard, and the mpg gain while cruising is much quicker on 89 than on 87.

So it seems running 89 octane must reduce knock potential significantly, thereby allowing the ignition timing to remain where it needs to be, thereby keeping the performance that Toyota desires. I don't think the extra 2 octane is going to hurt anything (other than my pocketbook a bit), but what do the Prius Pros here on the forum think? I surely like the performance gain and I will switch back to 87 octane when the summer wanes again.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A one-time sample is hardly conclusive. This is a very old argument, and nothing has ever been proven one way or the other.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Confirmation Bias is a real thing. More performance from higher octane, not so much. (you are, of course, free to spend more for gasoline)

Also, what is true in Phoenix, may not be true else where "Hot temperatures and exceptionally low humidity can increase an engine's octane requirements as well." - Test Results

They found no real difference in cars designed for regular with modern electronics, but they did not test in Arizona.

#3 JimboPalmer, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    "Confirmation Bias"

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    alekska likes this.
  6. Michael M Perez

Michael M Perez New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Toyoto must be having something to really cheer for

bisco likes this.
  7. TripleTransAm

TripleTransAm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There's one detail in the low-versus-high octane debate that is often overlooked and that is the ethanol content. This is a crap dilution of fuel, due to its lower BTU content, and will affect your MPG. I lost up to 10% on my V8s when my favorite brand started using ethanol. Found another brand with ethanol free 91 and my mileage came back... especially notable on my 2006 Charger Daytona that I previously ran on 87 or 89 (as per the manual). Cost wise, that same brand sold their 91 at 89 prices on Thursdays so it was overall a win for me (well, a recovery from a loss... I'd still want ethanol-free 87).

Too soon to tell how my '12 Prius wagon behaves (just got it in late November) but I did seem to get a great mpg on a tank with half 87 and half 91, give or take (with the 91 being ethanol free).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've discussed gaso grades quite a lot. Keep in mind the situation is different in different countries. Unfort in the USA we have 10% ethanol mandate which means many cannot get E0, and those who can get E0 it is quite expensive and rare to pay off. Also we have RFG (EPA reformulated gasoline) rules that basically removes some of the energy content out of all grade including Premium. So I would like to try your 91 Octane E0 but we cannot get it here. There may be a few rural U.S. areas with cost-effective E0, but not for most of us Prius owners. We are expecting 3% less MPG for E10, just based on energy content calculations. In your case the Premium E0 could have more than 3% more energy if the base gasoline is better too.

Nicklas likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    SO.....for the increased mileage to actually be a winning proposition......at $3.00 a gallon for regular, your E0 fuel must give you a 17% gain in mileage or else you are actually spending more money overall.
    Highly unlikely that you will get anywhere close to a 17% increase.

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My E10 fill-up yesterday was at $2.05 here.

12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes.....SO ??
    The point IS: Do the math before you decide that you are doing something great by paying extra for E0.
    At that price point, if E0 is still $.50 more, you would need a 23% mileage increase to break even.

It almost NEVER is worth the extra money.

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed!
    I use E0 in my 2-stroke chainsaw & weedeater where it belongs.

14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Edmunds.com article I linked above adds a data point that high compression turbo engines which has become more mainstream as of late may be retarding it's engine timings so much that fuel economy suffers. That's why the E0 91 is worth the cost over E10 87. Usually turbo engines require premium fuel as the high level sport trim offering. But now even a low trim level Cruze has a turbo engine and we 'mer'cans ain't payin' for no stinkin' premium.

15. TripleTransAm

TripleTransAm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For me, the important motivator was the Thursday "same as 89 octane" sale price on E0 91 octane. The recommended grade for my '06 Daytona Hemi (and now' 16 RT Charger) is 89 with 87 acceptable. So for those cars I'm essentially spending the equivalent of 89 if I only fuel up those days. For my Trans Ams it's 91 anyway so not an issue. I also don't trust that ethanol doesn't mess up things on engines that *should * be ok... I've seen photos of some nasty gas tanks due to all the water buildup. No thanks.

Just like our '08 Civic I don't foresee treating the Prius as a collector car (although my OCD still commands me to treat it continuously like a new car even at 65k) so the 87 vs 91 E10 vs E0 thing is more of a scientific curiosity more than anything. As mentioned, so far a 50-50 mix has yielded an obvious bump in mpg given similar conditions but too soon to really tell due to constant temperature variations etcetc.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good to me too! I would also use it, sounds juicy I would expect better MPG. Unfort in USA it is largely unavailable especially at competitive prices.