1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting semantics in Scientific American

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 26, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Every now and then, you get the impression something slipped by the editor:
    A Nearby Neutron Star Collision Could Cause Calamity on Earth - Scientific American

After billions of years spent slowly circling each other, in their last moments the two degenerate stars spiraled around each other thousands of times before finally smashing together at a significant fraction of light-speed, likely creating a black hole. . . .

When famous faces and producers are found to be sexual predators, I'm not sure "two degenerate stars" was the best phase to use. A better phrase, "two neutron stars" or "two aging stars".

Bob Wilson

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure why physicists and astronomers should change their long standing terminology just because of certain current events in the non-science arena. Neither of the suggested replacements is really adequate to cover the field.

Degenerate matter - Wikipedia
    Category:Degenerate stars - Wikipedia
    Exotic star - Wikipedia
    Compact star - Wikipedia

#2 fuzzy1, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just my ignorance of a technical term. Thanks!

Now I'm wondering what happens to the electrons? Does the dense packing of protons and neutrons pretty well force the electrons to further distances from the core ... some sort of stratification?

Bob Wilson

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "Two aging starlets" is how Hollywood would describe it.

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Black holes are physics beyond our existing comprehension.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At this stage, there ain't no protons or electrons no mo'. At these pressures and densities, the electrons get compressed into the protons to create more neutrons.

There are several exotic hypothesized stages around the neutron star stage, but none confirmed to exist. This latest LIGO discovery is of objects at least at the neutron star stage, but I believe they haven't yet ruled out denser items between neutron and black hole stage, or a mixed merger between two objects at different stages. But it is clearly not two black holes.
    What we can comprehend is that at the black hole stage, our understandings of General Relatively and Quantum Mechanics collide with contradictions. Between those two theories, and our understanding of 'reality', something (eventually) has to give. And of those three items, I won't make any bets against the first two.

... nor can I say much more about this without getting in over my head.

#6 fuzzy1, Oct 26, 2017
    Graeme1949 and RCO like this.
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Bob,

The sun is so hot (14,000,000 degrees Kelvin) that the electrons tend to dissociate from the nuclei in the Plasma. See:

nuclear - Where do the electrons that are released in the sun go? - Chemistry Stack Exchange

For a discussion as the physics is somewhat outside my experience at about 300 degrees Kelvin.

JeffD

Raytheeagle and bwilson4web like this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Things are so squished inside neutron stars that protons and electrons combine and become neutrons. So they say. Not that I understand it but some quarks seem to go out of existence then. Or become neutrinos. Or something.

Degenerate matter is much more degenerate than anything Hollywood, or larger world of powerful unethical males could cook up.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever it is, the process of squishing the protons and electrons is quite spectacular, with ginormous amount of energy and material being thrown off in a 'supernova'.

#9 fuzzy1, Oct 26, 2017
  10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hope y'all have heard 'sounds' associated with LIGO gravity-wave detection. Fine stuff.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have noted that the emission of vast quantities of neutrinos in this process was reasonably confirmed by the detection of supernova SN1987A by Kamiokande and other neutrino detectors:

SN 1987A - Wikipedia
    Kamioka Observatory - Wikipedia

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Neutrino and gravity-wave detectors are the most improbable things that actually work.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Michelson–Morley experiment was performed over the spring and summer of 1887 by Albert A. Michelson and Edward W. Morley at what is now Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and published in November of the same year.[1] It compared the speed of light in perpendicular directions, in an attempt to detect the relative motion of matter through the stationary luminiferous aether("aether wind"). The result was negative, in that the expected difference between the speed of light in the direction of movement through the presumed aether, and the speed at right angles, was found not to exist; this result is generally considered to be the first strong evidence against the then-prevalent aether theory, and initiated a line of research that eventually led to special relativity, which rules out a stationary aether.[A 1] The experiment has been referred to as "the moving-off point for the theoretical aspects of the Second Scientific Revolution"

The irony is a gravity-wave detector looks a lot like a Michelson-Morley device only on a much larger scale. Only a gravity-wave detector isn't the speed of light changes but the distances over which it is measured affected by gravitational waves. <GRINS>

Random thought, I wonder if the GPS array or something like it might also work as a gravity wave detector? Probably not due to the effects of solar wind and near-earth magnet and thermal effects.

Bob Wilson

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GPS receivers don't have anything close to the positioning accuracy to measure this -- meters or centimeters for GPS, depending on available averaging time, vs fractions of a proton diameter for the gravity signal.

The bandwidth of the detector is also limited by its physical size and the number of interference bounces used along the detector legs. It takes a significant amount of time for the laser signals to travel that path, so they can't detect higher pitched signals. A satellite based system all the way across earth orbit won't be able to hear high enough frequencies to pick up the chirps of the same sized black hole and neutron star mergers that LIGO has captured.

On the other hand, some galaxies formed by mergers have binary supermassive black holes co-orbiting at their centers. When those enormous BHs eventually merge, their chirps will be at too-low frequencies for current LIGO systems to detect. Satellite-based systems will likely be needed to pick up such events. But such systems will likely still be based on lasers, not GPS. And they would not be in low earth orbit, more likely high earth or solar orbit.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Michelson-Morley resolves speed of light to 10^-17 precision. Somebody could improve that but maybe not cost effective.

LIGO measures mirror spacing to 3^-19 precision; this is needed because gravity waves to not perturb spacetime very much. In non-technical terms LIGO is effing amazing.

Future, better, earth-based LIGOs seem to have hope for 10x improvement, also lower frequency as fuzzy1 considers. About then they may reach a strong limit from seismic noise.

Going to satellites, I suppose at one of Lagrange points, will reveal a new batch of technical challenges. But wiggle watching is pretty neat stuff.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well that might justify a set of four, lunar based, LIGO sensors. Not only detecting gravity waves but giving direction at the same time. Of course maintenance would be a b*tch.

Bob Wilson

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    OK, moon has a much lower seismic noise floor than earth. Good. For now, tossing stuff at the moon remains very expensive. Bad.

I imagine moon science will focus elsewhere for a long time. Several suggestions for radio astronomy on far side. High 'radio' noise floor on this planet limits our vision.

==
    But consider 'physics of the precise'. somewhere in the 10^-low twenties, spacetime wiggles prevent better assessments of some physical constants by any means. There are many kinds of spacetime wiggles below scale of black holes and neutron stars' traffic accidents. Theoretically known and beyond current experimental veil. 'Locally', Sun/Jupiter orbit around barycenter.

Elsewhere, speculatively, ET performing faster-than-light travel would make spacetime wiggles.

A tribute to LIGO Nobel prize is that it draws our attention to such small details that connect everything to everything else!

==
    On this tectonically giggling planet, what physics can be pushed to extremes? High-energy particle collisions and neutrino detections both require large masses. So, those. Other investigations of externalia are finally too subtle for dirt-based physics.

Good on BobW for sending our thoughts in these directions. But the thread title is not very good.

#17 tochatihu, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i saw what you did there.:cool:

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We live in a galaxy (possibly) along with other technological civilizations. We do what we do. They only do long travel by physics we don't know or by investing in large multi-bio-generational cruisers. Neither have come here to public knowledge.

I suppose that faster than light travel is fiction, that 'others' do exist, and that we'll only know if they send 'radio' our way and if we detect it.

Regard these words as blowing smoke until 'something' gets heard.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A