1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting things you learned about the Prius long after buying it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnny Cakes, Dec 5, 2019.

1. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    An additional quart of oil drains from top of engine overnight. Changing oil first thing in am yields over 5 qts

2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This car is rediculously simple to diagnose and repair, yet it scares most mechanics to go near it

Rayman2010 and J1050 like this.
  3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Shoot, I forgot that “cold engine” one, which I learned about when we drove out of a hotel parking lot in a blizzard and tried to immediately accelerate onto the entrance ramp of the freeway, and the ECU just refused to let the cold-soaked ICE get the car to more than 35-40 mph, IIRC, which made joining the interstate traffic dicey. Did not have tach then, so do not know what the rpm limit was.

douglasjre likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is hard to tell a successfully-started engine from a cranking engine, because the car cranks it at a high rpm that sounds like the engine is running. Plus the car might not even try to start it until well after you've pulled out of your driveway, and can continue cranking it, in the hope it will successfully start, as you are driving down the road.

Like any engine, once a Prius engine is of a certain age and if its plugs/injectors/controls/mechanical condition aren't in tip-top shape, it can get a bit balky to start, especially in winter weather. The car will only try cranking it for so long, possibly at the same time as you are driving down the road on battery power, and if the engine hasn't caught and supplied steady power by when the timer expires, the car will give up and log the P3191 "engine does not start" code.

Of course when that happens, you may already be half a mile from your driveway.

Bay Stater likes this.
  5. Goat herder

Goat herder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2020 XLE Camping mode has been canceled . Woke up cold Prius went into a quiet dark hibernate mode Dealer service Manager "never heard of that".Later I find press release 12 June 2019 Plano Texas [[ New model year 2020 will have automatic shutoff system]] U G H.

Any ideas on how to hack this will be welcome

#45 Goat herder, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2019
    douglasjre and RMB like this.
  6. spudnut

spudnut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Count me as one, even after 3 years, didn't know about the inside hatch recesses! Here's why I like them, having used them FOR THE FIRST TIME, today: when the rear of the car gets filthy dirty, due to an Idaho winter and living down a gravel road, the outside handle is dirty also, whereas the inside ones are nice and clean. At first thought, inside handles seemed pointless, what, you going to slam it and pinch yours hands?! Turns out, it's ergo correct, and quite....handy.

Just yesterday, I for the first time realized the little chrome doodad on my '13 PIP, is apparently to denote an electrical port. I of course knew that little hatch on the right rear side is where to plug the charger in, as I do it everyday. But it seems the Toyota engineers got a little arty with this symbol of a (oddly enough) 2 prong electrical plug, an unusual bit of whimsy on their part, either that or I'm just seeing things. Sorry for the crappy picture, it was a gloomy day, and the cat distracted me. IMG_20191221_131647581_HDR~2.jpg

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whoa, now I have to go check mine for a cat.

jumpingjehovahs likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ok i don’t know how many of the newer members know this but the older ones (those that were here when the Gen 2 was launched) will know this.

The HSD emblem is actually “H-S-D”. The blue squiggly line is the “S”. The right side with the rounded portion is the “D” and the left side with the two indents top and bottom is the “H”.

The PiP has an extended version with two prongs in chrome to signify a plug.

9. Slowfellrunner

Slowfellrunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the UK. Under the floor is a plastic tray about 6 inches deep. Lift that out and there is a full-size spare wheel with the jack sitting inside the wheel. Are USA spec cars different to this?

Where is the manual hatch release?

#49 Slowfellrunner, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Lift the false floor lid
    2. In the plastic bin, there is a plastic cover towards the bumper side. Locate that cover
    3. Pull the tab to remove the cover
    4. Locate a small metal lever and lift up

Yes, North American spec cars have a compact or temporary spare tire, not a full size.

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    SET EXACT CLIMATE TEMPERATURE WITHOUT LOOKING

You can set the climate temperature without looking -- while holding the temp button (either up or down) the temperature will always stop on 75 and not move farther no matter how long you hold the up/down button.

So if you want 72, press and hold long enough that it will get to 75 and stop (five seconds is plenty), then individual clicks to move one degree from there -- e.g. down three.

Mr. F, douglasjre, Tande and 2 others like this.
  12. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hmm, on my 2010, I can hold the temp button down and it will scroll past 75. It stalls for a few seconds at 75, but then it will keep going until it hits HI.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for comparison, a Honda Fit, the lower level without touchscreen:

8153D16A-DFBE-4720-BF9C-BDA800FA041C.jpeg

14. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you want to turn your emergency flashers while keeping your eyes on the road, flop you hand to the gear shift with the knob between your thumb and first finger -- your fingers will naturally line up with the emergency flasher switch -- no looking necessary.

Great for the freeway when you see stopped traffic ahead and want to warn the cars behind you to take notice, we're not just slowing down.

Mr. F and Tideland Prius like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can overcome this by pushing my foot all the way to the floor but many people may not want to do that to their car. I will say however if you push it to the floor one time you don't have to leave it there. Doing so one time forces it out of the mode that keeps the engine from revving up as needed. You can just tap it to the floor one time to kick out of that mode. That said in your situation you probably already depleted the battery by the time you got to the entrance ramp because the car computer won't allow the engine to rev up so you were probably sucking down on the battery. This is the condition I hope to avoid and recommend others avoid by any means they wish because it cycles the battery and shortens its lifespan

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Have you tried the Techstream computer yet?

18. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If you hold both the lock and unlock door buttons on your remote, the car will switch from opening all 4 doors at one or 2. (Default is 2)

Maybe somebody knows this mystery...my 2017 Prius never did this. I was washing the 2021 Prius yesterday and just left the keys sitting in the front seat. After 10 minutes or so, the car made a very long beep. Then it stopped but then starting another long beep. I took the keys out moved them into the garage...the beep stopped.
    So did my smart car turn into a smart-@ss car by telling me I left the keys inside?? (Which doesn't make sense...what if I left them in the car while running in the store? Someone walking by could say, "Hey the fool left his keys in the car...let's go for a spin!"

19. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good tip, didn't know that. I bought Carista for that.

The key (pun intended) to this is that you were washing the car at the time. The water activates the capacitive discharge switch on the handle and there is a key within range, but the computer detects that the key is actually *inside* the car, so the computer generates the long beep.

20. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "the computer detects that the key is actually *inside* the car, so the computer generates the long beep."

True: I get short beeps all the time when washing my Prius with the fob in my pocket...

Mendel Leisk likes this.