1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior and hatch space (PiP, Gen 4, vs c)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Pasaman, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've previously had a 2014 PiP and now have a 2015 C.

I'm considering the 2016 Prius Three and want opinions of those who have had the PiP or Gen 3 (i think PiP and gen 3 have same interior/hatch space?) and the 2016.

I really miss the space of my PiP and the interior in general. The C is just too compact for me, the hatch space is nothing compared to my PiP and I just don't like the layout of the C interior overall.

I intend to go look at the new 2016s soon but just wanted to hear some first hand feedback.

2. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I didn't have a Gen3 but from my understanding, the Gen4 has more cargo space due to them moving the battery under the back seat. And the numbers confirm via google.

Gen3 cargo space - 21.6 cubic ft (same as plug in prius)
    Gen4 cargo space - 24.6 - 27.4 cubic ft (depends if you have a spare tire or not)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Visually, it looks smaller (possibly because our Gen 4 has a black coloured cargo area and our Gen 2 was beige and Gen 3 is light grey) but according to the Tokyo Motor Show specifications (which use a more reasonable cargo capacity number and not the ridiculous 24-27 cu ft that TMS uses), the Gen 4 gains 56 litres of cargo space on cars without a spare tire. That's 1.98 cu ft. On cars with a spare tire, the gain is 11 litres or 0.39 cu. ft. The difference is that you lose the underfloor bin on all Gen 4 models so even though you "gain" 0.39 cu. ft., you lose the underfloor bin.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, new car every year. I thought you getting rid of the C because you have a company car now?

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tideland what is TMS stand for?
    I agree Toyota USA has never really told us how the "EPA Cargo Space" is measured. So I take it with a grain of salt. I am thinking it is with seats down, and anything under the window line counts.

I assume Gen4 rear cargo space is approx equal to Gen3 with spare, and a little more without spare. I assume Gen4 (with spare) ~= Gen3 (total space above+under floor)
    That would be a little more than PiP1 which gave up some of the under floor space.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TMS = Toyota Motor Sales USA. It's basically the US arm of Toyota.

And just to be complete

TMC = Toyota Motor Corporation (aka the mothership)
    TCI = Toyota Canada Inc.

Yeah I can't remember what the exact measurement of the underfloor bin is but 11 litres might be a bit generous so perhaps the Gen 4 is oh so slightly larger. The biggest difference is definitely the models with the tire repair kit. Two cubic feet (56 litres) is a lot.

wjtracy likes this.
  7. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Haha I do have a work car now but it's not a Prius. The Prius C I have is now our 2nd car (our previous 2nd car died recently) and I'd like to replace it with a 2016. I'm in the process of lease transfer now so I'm doing my research on it's replacement.

Thanks for the info everyone, it looks like the 2016 has a lot more room than the Gen 3s. I'll be checking them all out next week. Right now I'm looking at the 2016 Three since it seems you have to get at least the Three to get navigation and some other nice features.

mmmodem likes this.