1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior fan running every time I open the door?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kelly McDonald, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Kelly McDonald

Kelly McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I'm a newbie! I just got my Prius less than a week ago. It's a 2012 Pearl White basic Prius with solar panel sunroof/navigation package. (Canadian). I make sure everything is fully off when I go to turn my car off. I hold down the brake and press the start button for at least 2 seconds and everything turns right off. However, when I go back into my car after a few hours, or the next morning, soon as I open the door I notice the interior fan is running! What the heck? This has been doing this since I got it and I have no idea why. Does it just come on automatically when I open my door (annoying) or is this running the entire time I'm not in the car? Please help! I'm sure there's a simple explanation but I can't find anything online. I talked to my dealer and he just thinks I'm not turning the car off properly, and I AM! Getting frustrated.

2. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello - welcome to The forum!
    When you say "interior fan"....are you referring to the air conditioning/heat fan?

I believe what you are actually referring to is the brake booster recharging the brake system.
    Open the door....does the fan sound stop after about 2-3 seconds? If yes....it's the brake booster...and its normal

Kramah313 likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well part of the solar roof package is to run the fan when it is unoccupied to keep the internal cabin temperature closer to ambient and not boiling hot. It is a feature you paid extra for...

Kelly McDonald likes this.
  4. Kelly McDonald

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Aw man, seriously? That's great. However, I was misinformed. From my understanding, according to the dealership I purchased from, the A/C only runs when I click the button on my remote for it to start. I didn't realize it would run even when I don't need/want it to! I didn't realize it would run the fan indefinitely. As long as it's not using my hybrid battery charge, that's great.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have a GenIII, so all I know about it is from reading about it. So take this information with a grain of salt.

But you should have a button to the lower left of your steering wheel with a little car and a fan symbol on it. If it is pressed in, that gives the system permission to activate as it sees fit. If it is not pushed in, it won't activate unless told to as far as I know.

But you have two features:

1. Solar Panel Ventilation System
    This one uses the solar panel to power the fan to draw in outside air and vent the hot interior air. This is fully automatic (as long as you've enabled it before you turned off the car via a button to the left of the steering wheel). The fans will come on and off as needed and as power from the sun is stored (i.e. it will run intermittently if there isn't enough for a continuous run). The SPVS will continue to run even after you unlock the car and open the door. It will cancel once the car is started or turned to IG-ON.

2. Remote Air Conditioning
    This is activated via the A/C button on the fob. This one starts up the A/C compressor to further cool the vehicle. The engine stays off because the compressor is powered by the hybrid battery. It will turn off after 3 mins, when the battery is low or when you open the door.

6. Kelly McDonald

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----

Excellent! Thank you so much for such a thorough answer. I really appreciate it! As long as there's no detriment to using the automatic solar panel ventilation system (as in, it's not using my hybrid battery at all), I think I'll keep it on! That's actually fantastic. I can't believe the dealership failed to mention this to me, and when I call them about this "problem" they had no idea what was going on! They were trying to convince me I wasn't turning my car off properly. LOL!

Thanks again for your help!

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The A/C and the solar ventilation are two separate things. The solar ventilation can be turned off with a button below and to the left of the steering wheel. On mine, that button shows an outline of the car, a wavy arrow flowing through it, and a four-blade fan symbol in the corner. In is ON, out is OFF. And in works only when direct sunshine is on the rooftop.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    And you have to look closely at the button to tell if it's "in" (on) or "out" (off). Once it cools off later in the year, you may notice the fan will start up, cool off the car a bit, and stop. Then, after a while it will start up again. You'll notice this if you sit in the car (car off) for 10 min or more.
    I haven't noticed a great difference in interior temp with the fan running, but there must be some difference. ;)
    The fan is not very "powerful" cooling wise, but the sun IS very powerful heating wise!

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I remember being with a friend picking up a new Subaru and not escaping the dealer lot without what seemed like an hour of in-car instruction by the dealer.

I think you'll find the Solar Ventilation System section in your owner's manual tells you anything you want to know about it though. If it's enabled, you might notice (if you're sitting in the car for a while after turning it off) after about a minute, the slight sound of the air inlet damper moving to 'fresh' (if it was on recirc before), and then after about 10 minutes, if there's enough sunlight, the blower starting to run.

They put in the 10 minute delay so those times when you're just hopping briefly out of the car, the blower doesn't come on right away and blow away all the nice conditioned air you already had inside. After the 10 minute wait, you figure there's only hot air to be vented out anyway.

-Chap

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my car, the more noticeably on/off cycling is in weak sun or partial shade. That reduces the solar panel output so that sees enough voltage to start the fan, but doesn't have enough power to run it continuously.

11. methuselah

methuselah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four