1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior heater installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tuomas, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Tuomas

Tuomas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Winter seems to be approaching once again (at least here in Finland). I want to install an interior heater (as well as EBH) to my Prius 2008, but i was wondering what would be the best way to get the power cord for the heater into the cabin from the engine compartment? Is there somewhere existing hole(s) that can be used or should i drill a new one somewhere. I tried to look around on the passenger side (behind the glove box), but couldn't find any easily accessible holes yet at least.

Anybody done this kind of permanent installation or has one pre-installed and could take a look where the power cord comes in?

Thanks!

2. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Holes from the engine to the interior compartment would have rubber boots. Usually they are full. What is the wattage of the heater?
    If you are looking for something to run with the car not in ready mode you will probably run down the "start" battery too quickly.
    Explain why you are coming from the engine compartment.
    Also is the heater AC or DC (plug in or run off the car battery).

3. Tuomas

Tuomas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to use Defa's warmup system, the interior heater is 1350Watts and it's plug in, just used for a couple of hours before leaving to pre-heat the interior when the car's been standing in the frost. There's a kit for the permanent installation, all the sockets, protected cables etc and a splitter through which the EBH is connected to the same cable. So that's why I would need to come from the engine compartment. Usually the outside socket is also placed somewhere in the front grill or so.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes you would need to very carefully make a hole next to existing wires to go to the engine compartment for the interior heater power cable and seal the hole once installed. I saw some wires going though the driver's footwell area but that may or may not be convenient for you. Good luck! :)

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are drain holes in the floor pan under the spare tire. You could run a wire through a rubber bushing in one of these.

Tom

6. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see. Personally the firewall area is tricky. As 2009prius said it's tricky. I would have someone do it for you (other than a dealership). It's a one time cost. One of those things better left to a professional with all the right tools/lift if needed.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Stay on the drivers side. The passenger side has the heater core, the A/C core, and the PT heaters in the way. Unless you work lower, then it's difficult to get to from the engine side as it's behind the engine. Use a chassis punch (electrical type will do) and get a good rubber boot. Ones with bellows are available in the electronics supply. I haven't tried putting a hole in Pearl but I suspect it's a double panel in the firewall.

Wish I had a heater. ;) It's tough sitting waiting for the engine to warm up at a light. Once moving it's no problem though.

This thread is funny, as most members have no idea how cold it can get in the far north.

8. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Tuomas, Fascinating wintertime situation drivers must face in Finland. I googled DEFA and see they offer numerous products. I'm curious, what does a system that includes a block heater, interior heater, and battery charger cost? David

9. Tuomas

Tuomas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I only know the end-user prices here in Finland, but the block heater (model 859) was around 100 euros, the interior heater, 60 euros and the wiring harness set (sockets, splitter, all cables, etc) about 120 euros i think. I don't have the batter charger myself, but i think it's about 100 euros also. There might be some kits that are cheaper than all the parts separately. Those prices include value added tax which is 23% here.

Defa is not the cheapest, but good quality and pretty common here at least. It's also easy to add more parts to the system later.

I got my system installed already, btw, thanks to all, who gave suggestions. I'll try to post some details and pictures, as soon as i've got some more time.

Btw, did you know that the gasoline (E5) price here in Finland is around 1,40eur per liter (~7,33 USD per US gallon) (like 64% of that is all kinds of taxes), so really want to save every drop :). Cold starts waste quite a bit.

10. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Tuomas,

I think this is not best place for get advices for installation of Defa. ;) Electric pre heating car is not so popular outside Skandinavian.

Best info is ask from Defa dealers, they even may have paper instructions for prius. I did my last installation to Yaris and promised to myself that I buy next one ready fitted. It's not easy thing to do.

11. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's popular in the colder bits of Canada, too... but I'm not familiar with the Defa brand since I don't live in one of those bits.:D

12. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad DEFA is not in NA

13. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tuomas, you just brought back memories for me. My dad and I had electric heaters installed in our cars back in the 60's and 70's to warm them up and clear the frost in the mornings. They were plugged into timed outlets and did just what yours does. They came on about two hours before we were ready to leave in the morning.

Thanks for the memories.