1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED lighting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by darelldd, Mar 6, 2006.

1. cawilkin

cawilkin Junior Member

please advice if/when these will be available as a kit

2. priusblue

priusblue New Member

Those are pretty cool - I have similar-shaped lights under my kitchen cabinets for task lighting. I wonder if I could wire some in series like that so that they all come on at once? Hmmm...

3. Mojo40

Mojo40 New Member

Ditto, especially the cup light in blue or purple.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The cup light will never be a drop-in situation the way I've done it. You have to drill holes and splice into wires. If you do it the way it is made... you drag the wire up the cup holder, and then down into the console and just plug it into the 12V outlet. I have an extra one in purple here if you'd like to make a deal!

5. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

Darrelldd,

Think we can get George to make some of the taskLED's so they fit in the Prius soket?

The taskLED in the trunk sure is nice. I have one there already.

I just have not been able to get one in on the front area light. I don't yet have a dead bulb to make it so I can put the taskLED in the front.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 6 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]221452[/snapback]</div>

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whk.wang @ Apr 19 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]242124[/snapback]</div>
    I am currently working with George to design something new, yes. It will be my money, my project, and his brains.

I assume that you've seen what I did? This is roughly how any production ones would look. My hope is to have a smarter dome that will be user-settable for dimming/autosleep.
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_dome_front.htm

I've made a few of these for others as well.

7. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

Yes. This looks cool! I have the one in the back finally put in. I was worried at first, becasue I had to bend it a bit.

Any idea of price range and timeframe for the the front cabin light replacement? I am very ready to put that in and get rid of the YELLOW! (I know George is out for some of April.) I didn't know how far out you have planned this already.

I think the next replacement lights I am waiting to get to are the front one, and the driver side light. The driver side light would help while loading and unloading the car, but the front light would be nice to see white more often. Look what being an LED freak as done to me...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 19 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]242173[/snapback]</div>

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whk.wang @ Apr 21 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]243188[/snapback]</div>
    Price wil be around $40/each.

I can make more of the front domes and door lights with the constant-current circuit once I get more boards built up. Will be a bit (oouple of weeks) since I'm awaiting some componenets. I'll likely make a new thread, and I'll post a pointer here when I have some inventory. The new "smart" domes are still a few months off as the prototyping takes a while... and this is nobody's full time job!

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Count me in on any that you're cooking up. They look great!

10. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

Any new news on availability of the new interior front light? I am in the market. For the front dome light and the back seat light. My son keeps turning on the back seat light and leaving it on. I have not missed that it was on yet, but I don't want to find out how dead the battery is in the morning if he does leave it on.
    Not a good thing, so replacement lights for both seem to be in order and I might as well do both at the same time.

Any help here Darrelldd on status?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 21 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]243191[/snapback]</div>

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whk.wang @ May 10 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]252717[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to have been so quiet lately. Too many projects, too little time!

I do have a drop-in solution for the front fixture (there are three bulbs up there, so this can get a bit expensive to fill all positions). And the best bet for the back-seat fixture at this time is an imported 3x3 3mm array that just snaps into place. Not nearly as bright as the ones I'm making - and I have no idea how long it'll live, but it is quite a bit cheaper at ~ $11. This is what I'm using at this time.

So the score is this: I can make regulated, bright drop-ins for any of the front three dome positions, and for the cargo light (this one is important since it has no auto-off). I can provide the same regulated, bright replacement for the door edges - but these need to be soldered in at this time (though I'm closer to a drop-in solution every day). And I can resell the drop-in imported 3x3 unit for the rear dome.

If anybody is interested, my email address is always in my sig. Please avoid PM if possible! And please check your spam filters after you email me. More and more I find my replies going unanswered as my email falls into the spam box. And one final note - I'm a one-man operation doing this as a hobby. I regularly have supply slow-downs, and that's just how it is.

12. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Darrell,

You're such a tease! We're convinced of the quality and accept the price, just tell us when they'll be available (in kit form and fully assembled).

Helplessly drooling, Brian

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ May 10 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]252764[/snapback]</div>
    There are serveral of these modules out there now - maybe one of the guys can chime in with their experience (good or bad - bring it on!) And as it stands now, I'm willing to make these on a first-come-first-serve basis until I see if there is big enough interest for me to order supplies in bulk. As it is right now, I'm strapped for ONE part that I need - but I expect to have parts for at least a few of these by next week.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darell, you're still one up on Coastal lol.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 10 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]252871[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'm at least TWO up. I actually respond to input and ship product. :)

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 10 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]252911[/snapback]</div>
    THREE up. You're more honest about when something will be ready to ship. :)

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Have you been able to work out anything to be able to retain the dimming feature that the stock bulb has? You mentioned something about working on a more intelligent piece.

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ May 10 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]252989[/snapback]</div>
    Bjorn -

The new "smart" dome - if it happens - is still quite a ways off. The design, prototyping and testing takes forever when you don't do this stuff full-time, and need to piggy-back it with other projects.. That said - when/if it does happen, there will still be no dimming feature like the stock fixture has. Without completely re-wiring the fixture itself, there's no way to accomplish that feat with a regulated LED. I realize that for some people this "dimming" feature is a must have. In practice, I've heard from nobody who misses it when it is removed - and we have about 700 of these dome modules in circulation right now. The ability to prevent battery run-down is FAR more important in my book than the short delay/dim business.

The master plan for the new smart module is to still have the thing "smarter" than any dome light that cars come with. The user will be able to set the auto-sleep time-out and brightness (in eight steps). When the auto-sleep kicks in, it will begin to dim (in steps) to alert you that the dome is about to go out so that you are not left in the dark if you're actually sitting there USING the light. We already have the code for this, and many circuits that use it. We just don't have it on a foot-print that'll fit in the Prius.

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 10 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]253031[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, OK. thanks for clarifying. Yes, I'm sure you are absolutely right about not missing it after gone, but I do like the dimming feature. ;)

Anyway, keep us updated on what you have available... Thanks!

20. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 10 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]252780[/snapback]</div>
    Super job! I have all three front dome lights replaced with Darell drop-ins, the driver and passenger door lights replaced with the Darell solder-ins, and the rear seat dome replaced with the $11 drop-in. V-E-R-Y happy with the results. Yep, I spent over $200 for half a dozen LED light bulbs. But the inside of the car is bright enough to read a book at midnight, and when you open the front doors at night, you can see what you might be stepping into and then adjust to miss it. Well worth the cost.