1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED lighting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by darelldd, Mar 6, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ May 10 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]253222[/snapback]</div>
    Wow.... Thanks Walt. As the first official response from a Prius installation, I'm happy to hear it! Glad you got those door units in OK. There's still a slight chance I can make these "drop into" the doors... but aren't those fixtures just crazy complicated?! Wow. I'm a bit worried about any "drop in" I make trying to wiggle out with all that door-slamming. Soldering them in is probably the best bet anyway.

2. benighted

benighted New Member

I don't mind soldering at all, if its easier for you to make them. I wouldn't even mind soldering the other fixtures because these are never going to need to be replaced (unless I sell the car then I'd be taking them with me ;) ).

3. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where are you getting your CCxW driver boards and LEDs (i.e., point me somewhere please)?

I saw a site - TaskLED (I think) that looks like your handiwork. Are you affiliated with it?

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ May 11 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]253521[/snapback]</div>
    McShemp -

George, who IS Mr. TaskLED, is the EE friend that I work with on these things. So yes, TaskLED is a big part of what I'm doing here.

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 10 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]253351[/snapback]</div>
    It isn't really a matter of "ease of making them" more a situation of trying to make them in the best, most durable and easy-to-install way. The front dome positions work well with a drop-in (would be difficult to solder those) while the door jobbies are difficult to design a drop-in for.

As it is right now, I've just sold out of the few modules that I had. Please let me know what you're interested in - I know you've been very patient and wanting these! I should be able to build a few more by next week. I'd like to reserve some for you!

6. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 11 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]253528[/snapback]</div>
    I had e-mailed him because I didn't see any CC1W boards with LEDs mounted. He said he doesn't supply LEDs as a part.

BTW - Should I throw your name around when I order something? I'd like to update most - if not all - of my interior lights after seeing your posts.

7. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 11 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]253582[/snapback]</div>
    Its easy to be patient when you are broke ;) . My work is seasonal and it was a looong winter. How about I make the money first, paypal it to you then you can put me on the list?

P.S. Thank you for using your knowledge to offer a unique product to PC!

8. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Darrell....

You've just given me way to many ideas to monkey around with the car with someone that is a manfacturing engineer.

*sigh*

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ May 11 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]253742[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the parts are hard enough for US to come by. I think George bought his latest round of LEDs from me, actually!

You can certainly "throw my name around" - just make sure to really talk me up so he'll know I put you up to it. George is a great guy and will treat everybody right. We already sell this stuff at the minimum that just barely supports our hobby, so please don't expect huge discounts just for knowing me. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 11 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]253773[/snapback]</div>
    No problem at all. I just didn't want you thinking that I'd forgotten you because I know you've been wanting this stuff since I first brought it up.

LEDs are my hobby. Big fun, mostly. But the screw-ups and scrap are also very expensive!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ May 11 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]253788[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent. Then my work here is not in vain. ;)

10. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 11 2006, 02:42 AM) [snapback]253351[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the URL with photos of the door lamps - shows why soldering is really necessary.

http://darelldd.com/ev/prius_dome_door.htm

11. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

I am also very pleased.

Darrelldd helped me out with the $11 drop in LED for the back seat. It works well, not as much light as the front seat replacement, but better then what was there before.

The Front dome light replacement is really nice. Much more light then there was before.

I am hoping that if the light gets left on because of the wife or child, I will have no problems with dead batteries and this should be a major help to me.

Like someone (Walt) was saying that YES LEDs may cost loads, but in saving you from a dead battery ONCE, you have made your money back. And you will have these light for the life of the car.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

Darell, could you put me on the list for 1 set of RED front map lights and 1 set of RED side door lights? I really like red interior lights. I realize it is harder to get red ones so let me know if you can do it. Thanks!

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 17 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]257337[/snapback]</div>
    The reds are just more expensive for me, since I buy the whites in LARGE quantities and get a better discount (at the expense of carrying many thousands of dollars of inventory!). The reds I just buy onsies-twosies. I can make them for you in red, no problem. The bottom line is that they'll be $8 more each. Just let me know when you're ready to go. (please drop me an email: [email protected])

I've been thinking about using red for the doors myself. Would be an extra bit of safety on the road.

14. benighted

benighted New Member

I can see how you would prefer to make the white ones with that much inventory! I'll still probably want a few white ones later but I really want to get the red ones first.

If this weather keeps up I should be ready by the end of next week. I would have been ready this week but I got water in my poor Prius' gas tank, its at the dealer still getting flushed out... yet another setback but thats how it goes I guess. I'll send you an email when the time comes.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    then you might still be ready before I am! I'm still short of the bulb bases that I adhere to the back for the front domes. I now finally have all the other bits though, and I'm busily building away in my "free" time.

I would have been ready this week but I got water in my poor Prius' gas tank, its at the dealer still getting flushed out... yet another setback but thats how it goes I guess. [/quote]
    Aw, that sucks! Yet one more way that gas cars scare me. I have YET to get a bad tank of electrons in the EV. And I've never dripped any on my shoes. :)

16. momanz

momanz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey Darell,

Love the LED mods. I've pretty much followed your instructions and installed the door LEDs (red). Trunk and rear dome light (white). I'm working on the front dome light and I've got a couple of questions.

What kind of adhesive did you use to stick the driver board to the Lux? I've got some silicone handy, and some standard 2 part epoxy, but I'm not sure if those will work or interfer with the board's operation.

I'm thinking of using a 3 watt white Lux in the front, but I'm not sure if heat will be a problem. Any thoughts on this?

The final LED mod which I'm going to do is foot well lighting (in red). Originally I was going to go with a red CCFL tube, but the cheap inverters I was getting kept on burning out and the red was really more of an orange red. The red Lux stars look great. Any idea on where to tap the power from? I'd like to use the same circuit that controls the dome lights since the lights actually come on as you approach the car and remain on for a while after the doors are closed. A bypass switch that leaves the lights on whenever the headlights/parking lights are on would also be nice too.

Cheers,

Momanz

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momanz @ May 18 2006, 07:10 AM) [snapback]257460[/snapback]</div>
    I use Arctic Alumina Epoxy here or here. Not only does it hold better than anything else, it passes the heat to the board to use the circuit as an extra sink. Don't use silicone - that will insulate the star, and you'll smoke the the emitter before long.

If you only drive the Lux3 at 350mA, then there is no heat issue. But if you only drive it at 350mA, there is no reason to use a Lux3 which can handle much more power. If you put much more power to the Lux3, then you have a big heat issue. Now, you can probably see why I stick with using good Lux1's.

Red LEDs would probably be a better bet. Cheap too. Don't have to use the Lux's since you're not looking for "bright". You could get power from just about anywhere. Choose something from the interior fuse block that is only powered when the car is running, and tap in there. You can use the 12V outlet circuit. Add some resistor and a zener with some nice 5mm LEDs, and you're set for just a few bucks.

18. momanz

momanz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 18 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]257548[/snapback]</div>
    I should have been clearer in my last post. I've attached the Star to the CC1W board using Artic Silver epoxy and was going to use the silicone to attach the unit to the bulb base. I think I'll take your advice though and go ahead and get some of the Artic Alumina.

Hmmm. No point in using the Lux3 if thermal issues are going to be a problem. I fired up a Lux3 for the first time last night and many do they get hot. Bright too, but real hot.

Hmmm, haven't really though about going that route, but it does make sense. I already have the Red Lux1s, but I can think of a couple of other uses for them. Do you have any experience with SuperBrightLEDs.com? can you recommend another source for 5mm LEDs?

Thanks again for your advice and for posting your LED mods.

-Momanz

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momanz @ May 19 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]258020[/snapback]</div>
    Ah... Yes I re-read your post a couple of times before answering, and it certainly sounded like you wanted to attach the circuit board to the Lux star with, "What kind of adhesive did you use to stick the driver board to the Lux?" :) I use the AA for all the adhesive work. Regular epoxy may work, but it'll get soft with heat, certainly.

Let me say again: A Lux3 will get NO hotter than a Lux1 when driven at the same current. The ONLY reason a Lux3 can get hotter is that it CAN be driven at a higher current than a Lux1. If they're both driven from the CC1W (350mA) then they will be the same temp.

You can still use the red Lux1's. They're just more than what you need. I usually buy my LEDs stright from Future or Nichia. I like to know exactly what I'm getting. There are TONS of places to buy discount LEDs on the net... including Ebay.

20. Airgetlam

Airgetlam Junior Member

Darrell,

Just took the 10 minutes to reinstall the lights. Wow! What an absolutely incredible difference. You can actually see the light now, even though it's mid-day here in Sunny San Diego.

Thank you very much, sir. You've made my happiness in owning a Prius all that much more :)

Bruce