1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED lighting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by darelldd, Mar 6, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Airgetlam @ May 26 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]261491[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the input, Bruce! Glad you like 'em. Nothing better than plug 'n' play, eh? :) If you thought they were bright in the sunlight, wait until you see them in the dark!

2. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 6 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]221453[/snapback]</div> Your work here is very impressive Darelldd, and you should be commended for not only your work on the Prius, but your RAV4EV, solar energy conversions, general energy conservation, etc. If everyone were as concerned for the future as you are, the world would be 100x better place. I hope to one day soon match your levels of conservation but the budget situation is limiting until I've finished with college. Anyways, I have a friend in Hong Kong that is sending me some new 1W LEDs in white that come in (3022/3175) and (168/194) sizes for 'drop in' applications, and I am sure that they are not as bright nor match the levels of quality in your impressive LED conversions, but apparently the distributor is going to be putting them on ebay soon as well so that people can do their own 1W LED conversions. I will take pictures as soon as I get them and try to post them on here. The new (not new to you I guess) 3W and 5W Luxeon LEDs that are coming out now have really stolen my heart and I wonder when the Prius can be outfitted with headlamps in LED. I hope my findings do not offend you or take away from your business, but I was under the impression that you were being overburdened for LED orders even after your "It is not my intention to sell or take orders" post and this may be an easier alternative for others desiring 1W LEDs...

Thanks again for your work!
    J :D

3. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Found some on ebay already actually, under "1W LED" search. I'm sure you have seen these before, and they point the wrong way for most Prius applications, but still kinda cool...

[​IMG]

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Shucks... thanks for the nice words! Once conservation becomes a hobby, it all gets fun. ;)

I'm always curious to see what others are coming up with. The picture you posted above raises more question than it answers though. Looks like the circuit consists of a resistor and diode (sort of a poor-man's regulator which can work pretty well). My main concern is with heat - depending on drive current. There appears to be no heat sinking, and I'd worry about the gap temperature. I'll have to do a bit of research here!

I actually *am* starting to sell these things now, though I haven't officially announced it since even without really saying anything, I've got about as much business as I can handle. Once I get all my materials lined up, I'll probably make an official announcement and see how it goes.

5. 98clru

98clru Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyotablackbox @ May 27 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]261832[/snapback]</div>
    Hoping to imitate the amber driving lights that GM uses with the Hummer and HHR without adding alot of current draw I invested in a set. Used in the parking light position they put out an itense, deep amber that looks like a cigarette "head" in just short of an orange instead of red color. It can be seen for about 180 degrees from the front which works OK with the reflectors in there, MUCH too dim to use as anything but a parking light.

Not what I was hoping for, they will make expensive replacements for the "courtesy" lights at the bottom of the door instead... Should have checked the most recent threads here first would have saved some time and money... Thanks for all the great info Darrelldd

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98clru @ Jun 1 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]264118[/snapback]</div>
    One of the drawbacks to LEDs as retrofits in incandescent fixtures. The LED probably isn't too dim for the job, but the RESULT is too dim, since it can't take advantage of the reflector like the factory bulb did.

A caution on that - the bulb will fire the light into the door void - and NOT out to the diffuser where you want it. It'll light the thing, but not much. Probably quite a bit less than the factory bulb. The only place these would work, is in the dome position... but that assumes you want amber there. :)

My pleasure!

Oh, in the meantime, an astute PC member pointed out that I'd missed some incandescent bulbs in the Prius. The little vanity bulbs that go with the mirror behind the sun visor! I couldn't have that, so insto-presto, I've got LED modules for those too. :) Here's the best shot that compares before and after:

[​IMG]

The page: http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_dome_shade.htm

7. car

car New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 1 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]264197[/snapback]</div>
    I just installed a full set of Darell's led's (all except the license plate light). Absolutely fantastic! Clear, bright, white light. Darell's workmanship is excellent and the bulbs fit in perfectly. I would highly recommend them.

8. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When you say you loose the dimming function with the LED conversions does that me the lights will still come on when you walk past it at night but will not gradually come on and dim to off?

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jun 13 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]270688[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. They come on and go off at the same times as always - they just don't do it gradually with the "soft" start and stop. There are about 60 of these modules in various Prii now. I haven't heard a complaint back about the loss of dimming yet. Most folks think they really want it. Yet when it is gone, it is rarely missed.

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 1 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]264197[/snapback]</div>
    Darell,

This is very impressive and all, but I'd really like some practical energy saving LED replacements for lights that I routinely have on for hours on end in my house. I was a fairly early adopter of CFR's but would like to now move in the direction of LED replacements starting in selected high-use locations and also as the CFR's eventually burn out, and have an impact on my electric bill. I've seen some LED replacement units available online, but they were expensive enough to make me hesitate buying them, not being quite sure what I was getting myself into (they didn't show pictures comparing the output as you have above and on your website as you've done such a nice job doing).

Any guidance you could render in this area would be greatly appreciated!

11. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

I have the the upgrade. And it is an upgrade.

The "soft start" is nice, but the fact that you get REALLY BRIGHT and WHITE light far out weighs the "soft start".

The other fact that you can leave the light on for a WEEK and still be able to start your car is awsome! I had one of these in another car, and the wife killed 3 car batteries by leaving the car door open a crack and the inside light on. Now I have a 3 yr old who does not shut the door all the time. I would be poor just from replacing batteries.

The first savings of not having to replace the car battery pays for the light module. AND you get WHITE light till you forget and leave the light on over night.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 13 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]270691[/snapback]</div>

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 13 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]270712[/snapback]</div>
    The easy answer is to stay with CFLs. At least for the time being. CFLs are still more efficient than LEDs today. LEDs do have some other benefits, but the cost is still prohibitive.

You simply cannot yet buy an home LED bulb replacement that will give as much light as a 75W incandescent. Not even 50W. If one were built, the cost would be out of this world. But for just a few bucks, you CAN get that kind of light out of a CF, and the power consumption would likely be better than the LED counterpart.

Those are the quick answers. LED tech is in its infancy, and growing rapidly. Won't be long before incandescents are considered antiques. For now, CFL is definitely your best choice for home lighting all the way around. For bigger fixtures, use T8, and you'll be thrilled.

13. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 13 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]270720[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Darell.

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought of another question. Do you have a lot less illumination if you go with red LED lights for the doors instead of white? I like the idea of the red for traffic but still want to light up the ground as much as possible. What is the turn around time if I send in my door lights? Thanks. Those lights are very impressive looking.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jun 13 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]270789[/snapback]</div>
    This isn't an easy question to answer. Because of the sensitivity of the eye to different wavelengths, we perceive some colors as brighter than others - even when there are the same number of photons being emitted. The red emitters that I have are actually quite a bit brighter (as far as photons emitted) than the white ones I have. Any monochromatic color is easier to make than white (which is actually faked since all LEDs are naturally monochromatic, and white certainly is not). But our eyes like to see white, so the red can seem much less bright even when it is truly MORE light. Just all red. Does this make any sense?

The red gives tons of light, but your eyes may not perceive it to be very bright. To put it another way - I use these emitters for brake lights, and they're plenty bright enough on their own. If you look INTO a red light it seems plenty bright. If you use it to reflect off something (like you use a flashlight or your dome lights) it won't seem as bright. I've made many red dome lights for Jeep drivers, and they love 'em for night vision retention. The red will give plenty of light down to the road (when mounted in the doors) certainly more than the factory bulbs!

My turn-around time at this end is usually same-day - unless I'm out of course! I then send them back Priority Mail. I've learned some new tricks in soldering the modules into the door fixtures, so they're now coming out WAY better than the ones I have in my doors. :)

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is the interior of a Rubicon with my red modules.
    [​IMG]

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK. I've been putting it off and putting it off. But I promised a new sales thread eventually, and here it is in all its glory:

Sales Thread.

Thanks for all those who've shown interest and have taken the risk of purchasing these modules. As long as it stays "fun" for me, I hope to keep making these and ridding Prii of yellow incandescents!

18. benighted

benighted New Member

I decided that this would be a fun learning project so I got ahold of a CC1W dome module and made a dome replacement out of it.

I found the required tools: A regulator board, the plastic dome blank thingy, some wire, and shoe goo
    [​IMG]

Then I soldered and tinned the leads, I will just use the long tinned leads as the conductor wires:
    [​IMG]

Heres the part where it gets fun. Shoe goo!
    [​IMG]

Installed and tested:
    [​IMG]

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Atta boy. The one thing I caution you on is the goo connection from the board to the bulb base. With a few minutes use, the board will be plenty "warm" and it may soften the goo enough to cause a problem. Or not. Don't know for sure, that that prospect concerned me enough to use thermal epoxy just to make sure things stay where they should.

Beats the heck out of the incandescent, eh? You only have eight more to go! :)

20. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 30 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]279553[/snapback]</div>
    I'll keep an eye on the goo to make sure nothing bad happens, its still drying.
    I've always been an LED fan but after discovering these Luxeons I just keep buying, my girlfriend HATES my flashlights.
    I just cant seem to explain in a way she will understand why I need so many lights or why my Q3 needs a Flupic or my Aleph needs UWOJ... I guess I will just have to join the ranks of many a CPF'er and admit that I have a problem :lol: