1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED Lighting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FreakinToddles, Aug 30, 2009.

1. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm also going to buy some of these and hopefully they work out better than the SuperBightLED's. As in - with the TPMS problem. That seems like a bit over the top though - 12 LED's? The 5 SMD LED bulbs that I had earlier lit it up really well. I'm afraid 12 LED's would be WAY too bright and look weird. Is this the case? Could you get some pictures of your license plate area? Thank you!
    Thanks a bunch Shaun - I appreciate you trying to get our SuperBrightLED's to work. I have them in the front parking lights, and the interior. I wish we could use them in the license plate area without problems. Oh well huh? I may order some of those LED's off of ebay as well. It just seems that 12 LED's per light fixture in the licnese plate area is over-kill when the 5 LED bulbs we had earlier were plenty bright. Input?

EDIT: I'm sorry, my bad haha. There are plenty of pictures on that eBay listing. My apologizes!

2. fingas

fingas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might need to use Canbus LED's which seem to work for all the newer cars that get errors when using LED's.

I have a few that I bought that I can send to some Gen III Prius owners to test. I didn't need them on the Gen II.

PM me if you'd like to try out.

3. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's good to hear. I also got some of those and am waiting for them to arrive.

5. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a quick tip:
    On the LED's - there are little metal wiring pieces. At first, then I put them in I thought they didn't work and I was super bummed. However, I noticed that the little bits of metal were too close to the plastic to have a good connection with the cars socket. All you have to do is get your finger, and bend these (see pic) away from the plastic maybe a few CM so when you push it into the car's socket - they will fit better. Just some advice if they don't turn on or stay on when you install them
    [​IMG]

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How does the intensity/brightness and color of the eBay 12-LED compare to the 5-LED SBLEDs? Do you have pics?

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not that I'm going to do anything about it since my SBLEDs are working fine (knock on wood) and the gen2 hatch panel is a pain to rip open. I'm just curious.

8. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are pretty much the same. However, the eBay 12-LED's were not as much of a "white" color. However, the light output it nearly, if not identical from what I can remember. There are pictures of a 2010 Prius on that eBay link if you scroll down. The SBLED's are a bit nicer, in my opinion - I say stick with the ones you have now.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I saw you say that in your other post. But what side of white was it on? Blue? Yellow? :)

10. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was more on the blue-ish side definitely.

11. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just thought I'd give an update on my trials with this.. Truthfully, it's becoming very frustrating.. I ordered two of the LEDs Fingas uses. One was DOA, so I couldn't test with both in use. Then I ordered two of the LEDs that LulzChicken is using. While installing those, somehow one came out of the socket and fell into the interior of the hatchback door, so I lost that one too. Arrg!! But I guess the good news is that this morning I drove with one of Fingas' LEDs and one of LulzChicken's installed and my TPS light did not come on. So I think either one of these will be good ones to use. The light is not quite the same - the 12 LED ones LulzChicken uses are definitely more blue-ish white than the Canbus ones. And I also needed to pull out the wire a bit to get an electrical contact in the socket, as message #185 showed. Thanks for the help everyone!

12. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An update on superbrightleds.com and the WLED-WHP5 bulbs.. I just got 4 in the mail today.. 2 for the rear plate, and two for the parking lights. The package contains a warning on it, it says "do not install in headlamp housings. heat will cause LED failure and VOID WARRANTY!".

Looks like these will be unreliable as parking light options. I'll put them in, but I expect I'll have to replace them some time soon..

so, just FYI..

13. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have two of those in my front marker lights. They've been fine for as long as I've had them - 10 months so far. And I'm in Arizona, where it gets to be 110+ degrees in the summer. I'll be interested to see if the ones in your rear plate cause your TPMS light to come on.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My first set in the parking lights died but my second set is holding strong. The licence plate lights came with the first round and are still going strong.

15. FEINT

FEINT New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been following this thread for a while and decided to install some LED lights. I got my LED T10 bulbs off Ebay as shipping was cheaper than SuperbrightLED's. I am not located in the US.

I went with the 5xSMD LED's in white. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

Number plate lights

[​IMG]

I am still waiting on the festoon bulbs. As you can see, it is still yellow.

[​IMG]

One more of the T10's in front.

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, just ask.

I would like to thank all of you who wrote instructions on how to remove the plastic covers to get to the lights. Made changing them much easier! Thank you.

16. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those headlights are AWESOME! They look so nice on your car. I am jealous!

17. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you get the "PRIUS" to glow like that on the footwell??

18. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the Gen III, packages IV and V have the footwell lighting. The original color of the bulb was amber, so I changed it to white.

I know there are aftermarket kits available, both for the Gen II and III that you could purchase to have the same effect. I believe the aftermarket kit even has the rear footwell lighting (under the front seats, I'm assuming).

19. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the coolest thing. Do you have any idea where to find the kit for a Gen II (2006)??

20. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV