1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED Lighting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FreakinToddles, Aug 30, 2009.

1. mskeens

mskeens New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like it would look great. I just got my 2011 Prius a few days ago and love it. Curious as to whether or not you had to install load resistors to solve a hyper flash issue? Oh yeah, do you have any pics (day and/or night)? Thanks..............Mike

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are relays which fix the flasher problem. I don't see much point in putting in LEDs and then adding a 50W resistor.

3. user888

user888 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used these for the overhead and rear hatch from ebay.
    646-1.jpg

646-2.jpg

646-3.jpg

4. user888

user888 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    and some of these for just about everywhere else.
    w5w-7led.jpg

5. blkghost

blkghost New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How I fit the LED dome light:

First I used small screwdriver to pry exactly where the taped arrows point BETWEEN the thin gray plastic rim and the clear glass. Mine was exceedingly tight fit and you have to pry gently at exactly the right two points on the switch side to pop out the clear glass lens.
    image.jpg
    Second, remove the original bulb from the gray plastic assembly by pushing back on the one tab that will bend (the other side socket for the bulb is fixed in place).
    image.jpg
    Install the LED version of the light. The LED was 1-2 millimeters longer than the original and I had to push the movable tab all the way to the side to get it to squeeze in there. Maybe you could carefully sand down the ends and make it fit more easily, but I was afraid I would break the electrical connection. Check that it works before re-installing clear lens as it is 50-50 whether you have the polarity right or will have to take it out and install it the other way around.
    image.jpg
    Carefully push the clear plastic lens back into the gray plastic rim, working mostly at the areas with those four tabs. And now we are good to go!
    image.jpg
    I would like to thank all the other posters in this thread who provided all the info about the LED lights (I used the $15 kit from Amazon.com) and particularly the "where to pry and how to disassemble " instructions as that helped me enormously. I was only buffaloed a bit by that dome light, so I thought I'd post some pics to help the next person through that part of the install.

7. edz

edz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm grateful to the earlier posts on how to remove the overhead console that holds the map lights (aka personal/interior lights, item 2 in owners manual , page 363). I had to remove this console to retrieve a map light base that rotated up into the cavity above.
    Pulling down hard, on the front of the console was the trick. Be prepared for a few things to fly off of the console during this process. To reinstall the overhead console, be sure you have all 4 plastic fastener pins back on the plastic console, to push the console back into the metal ceiling bracket.

Robert Holt likes this.
  8. zxcvb4531

zxcvb4531 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks it work like you said , my bulbs were in so tight that they had to grip with plier to get them out, it was easier with light socket out.

9. Rickkiboi

Rickkiboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So many options on interior LED lighting. I went with 24 chip 960 LM LED panels from Amazon, 4 panels for $15 (two up front and one in the rear dome, and one in the trunk. Then Sirius LED's for the vanity mirrors and doors. Blinding white light, even in the daytime I can't look directly at them! An awesome upgrade for less than $20. IMG_2527.JPG IMG_2529.JPG

AzusaPrius and Robert Holt like this.