1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED Lighting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FreakinToddles, Aug 30, 2009.

1. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes the lighting works very well, especially if you use the 5 LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com for the map lights. The approximate cost varies on which bulbs you go for but everything with shipping should be about $40 or so.

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it clearly brighter with these? There was an earlier post stating it was less bright, and another stating the light angle is different...

TIA

3. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found it to be brighter, and how could there be a "bad angle" when the LEDs are facing 5 directions? Just my 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  4. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the same set as Venom in my map lights in white and have to say I love them. Gives the car a very cool look as opposed to the warm incandescent lighting the regular bulbs do, not to mention brighter. I also used those in my license plate lights and now she looks like a Lexus. LOL! Ok, maybe not, but you get the point. Looks really good anyways.

5. Wifey2njchpd

Wifey2njchpd My other car is.... out of gas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Venom: How the heck do you take the dome light cover off? I have tried twice now, but I'm scared to really use any force. I used a very small and thin flathead screwdriver to try and pull it down. I tried from all sides, but nothing did the trick. So I was wondering does it have a hinge, if so on what side? Or will it just pop off like the front map lights? I don't want to break anything.

I already changed the doors, map lights and license plate lights. So I just need to do the dome and the rear cargo light. After reading your post again, I bought the wrong bulbs for those two. Dang it! So then I need the Festoon 3022x4 for both, right? I clicked on the link you provided, but it shows many different bulbs. I just want to make sure I get the right type. ;-)

Thanks again,

Kim C

6. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the links provided, the bulbs that appear at the top of the page are the correct ones. You won't need to scroll at all. As far as the dome light lens goes, just use the screwdriver about 1" in from the side and pry from the rear of the cover (side closest to the hatch) and it should easily pop off. Make sure you are prying out the LENS, not the plastic trim.

Product Listing - CAR

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Venom,

Would you kindly post the part numbers and where it goes - I'm a bit confused....

TIA!!!

8. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The part numbers for which bulbs? All of my links open to the website and whatever I am referencing, those bulbs will open up at the very top of the page.

9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Sometimes I'm a dolt - I'm just tryin to make things real clear to our nice community...

I see details, but I also see a bit of confusion - the links open a page - there is a bulb that I see in my browser at the top, but do you mean the top of the whole thing?

{IMHO} it would be nice to have real numbers so we can all jump on the bandwagon - a previous poster mentioned he bought the wrong one (and he also read all the posts). Websites change, browsers are different - I don't like trusting "just pick this one" unless it is a direct link.

I know it's a hassle, but it would be nice if you just cut and paste each part number with the corresponding description.

Eg. Front convenience lights P/N WDT-234-Y, door lights P/N WDT 235-T, Dome light P/N WDT-xxxxx, License light XXXXXXX, Little light above shifter light (WE NEED A BRIGHTER FOCUSED ONE).

Thanks in advance!!!!

Rolf

10. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To those who want to pop open the map light covers...
    Place the screwdriver in the forward edge of the map light lens near the hinged side (toward the center of the car). Do NOT stick it along the the long sides, this will will guarantee you will break the snap tabs...

1 person likes this.
  11. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found an easier way to change the map bulbs without taking off the fragile covers. Start with the trim piece in front of the overhead console (between the console and the windshield. Grab it from the windshield side and pull down. This will pull out the two snaps that hold it in.

Next, grab the underside of the overhead console on the windshield side and pull down. You will feel a few snaps release and it will hang down a bit.

Now pull the console towards the front of the car. There are two arms that stick back under the headliner in the rear of the unit. Don't pull too hard as the wiring is connected in the back - ease it out.

Finally, disconnect the one wiring clip to relase the overhead console.

From there, bulb changeout is a snap...there are two black twist knobs that hold the bulbs in - a quarter turn will release them and you can change the bulbs out without the need to break a maplight cover.

btw...does anyone have the part no. for the driver side map light cover? my clip broke before i realized that it was easier and safer to remove the console and change them from the back vs removing the map light cover. (doh!)

txs!

Joe-G, bzyrice, longhaul and 4 others like this.
  12. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here are the aftermarket LED bulbs I used:
    INTERIOR
    Door Lights: WLED-BHP5 BLUE @ $6/ea X 2 @ Superbright LEDs.com. for different colors, change the "B" in the part number to the color (ie, W=white, R=red, etc) (CONFIRMED)
    Map Lights (over shifter): WLED-WHP5 in white @ $6/ea X2 @ Superbright LEDs.com. (CONFIRMED)
    Vanity Lights (Under Sun Shades): WLED-WHP5 in white @ $6/ea X2 @ Superbright LEDs.com. (CONFIRMED)
    Dome Light (over rear passenger area): 3022-xHP2 in white @ $7ea Superbright LEDs.com . (CONFIRMED)
    Rear Storage Area Light: 3022-xHP2 in white @ $7ea Superbright LEDs.com (CONFIRMED, tight fit)

EXTERIOR
    License Plate Lights: WLED-WHP5 in white @ $6/ea X2 @ Superbright LEDs.com. (CONFIRMED)
    Rear Turn Signals: 7440-A15 in Amber @ $7 x2 @ Superbright LEDs.com (CONFIRMED)
    Front Turn Signals: 7440-A15 in Amber @ $7 x2 @ Superbright LEDs.com (ORDERED)
    Reverse Lights: (Not super bright...probably switching back to incandescent for reverse lights) 7440-WHP3 in white @ $13/ea x2 @ Superbright LEDs.com (CONFIRMED).(Can also use 7440-WLX3 @ $25/ea or 7440-x15 @ $7/eAmber bulb, large wedge, 9660 typea).
    Front Headlight Markers (amber patch on outer edge of headlight housing): WLED-AHP5 in amber @ $6/ea X2 @ Superbright LEDs.com. Stock uses clear bulbs, I went with Amber as the light output seemed to be higher (CONFIRMED)
    Front Headlight Markers (clear bulb above high bulb): WLED-WHP5 in white @ $6/ea X2 @ Superbright LEDs.com. (CONFIRMED)

As requested, here are the STOCK part numbers:
    Door lights, Map lights, license plate lights: Toshiba 12V8W U95 (clear mini wedge bulb)
    Rear passenger dome light: Toshiba 12V8WAL:95 (clear festoon bulb)
    Rear Cargo Area (drivers side): Toshiba A12V5W (clear small festoon bulb)
    Front & Rear Turn Bulbs: Stanley 9660 WY21W E4 (amber wedge bulb)
    Reverse lights: Stanley 7440 W21W (clear wedge bulb)

Current status: Content with currently lighting. May purchase a few UV bulbs for interior just for kicks :p

Let me know if you have questions (PM me or post here)...Cheers!

Josiana, glutaman, Madriz10 and 25 others like this.
  13. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is great - I was wondering how to remove that to build some stuff inside :D You answered my question before I posted it :D

14. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any reason you didn't go with the 9LED version???

15. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HAHAHAHA, when I did this, the passenger side map light lens flew out broken, and the foam tape that hold the rear-most clips ripped. So now I have a broken lens (packing tape discreetly holding the lens in) and a sagging (1/8" gap) overhead console

16. FreakinToddles

FreakinToddles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ouch... ok has anyone successfully replaced these map lights without breaking something?? I'm really starting to get worried about trying this myself. If you have done it please tell us the method you used.

17. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are talking about the map lights as the ones in the overhead console (not above the sunvisor), those are fairly easy to get at. Just use a flat screwdriver and insert it in the horizontal leading edge between the bulb lens cover and the plastic cover for the console. Pry slowly and you'll hear a few pops as the clips release from their hold.... You could pry quickly, but then the cover will probably come flying at your face (and you'll risk breaking some of the clips).

1 person likes this.
  18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ??? I don't get the post - you did this today? Why the Hahaha - did you think it funny? Do you think the sagging overhead is a feature (you like it?)? Generally unclear on your post......... Did you follow the post, or did it your way - and what was that way so we all don't do it????????????

TIA!!!

19. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK - I'll bite - what about over the sunvisor???????

BTW - these lights are cheap and available on Ebay - Ebay "h11 led" - door - or "194/168 led" - map, dome, license - add a 10X and white to that, and you cover your car twice (10 pieces ~ $17 delivered...) Look at the number and position of the LEDs - you want them all around and on the end of the bulb - not all in the end. You will get the customary 2 week lead time from China (Hong Kong).

They have 9 LED lights that I would like to try - but don't know they will fit........

The wonders of a free market economy :cool:

20. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the thing you flip down to block the sun from blinding you... when you are driving west into the sunset or east into the sunrise. :)

1 person likes this.