1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED Lighting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FreakinToddles, Aug 30, 2009.

1. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went with the 5 LED version because it comes from a reputable seller. I have had bad luck with ebay LED housings in the past and wanted something that was quality... do not know...i go to ebay for lots of things...but i dont feel like pulling the car apart again to replace them when they fail...

2. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    added some updates to interior bulb chart on page 3 and added some exterior bulb info

3. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you for your posts. Do you know if these lights will work in the 2009?

Thanks

4. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do not know. Actually, one of the things I'm still looking for is the manufacturer part numbers for these. I'll check online to see if I can find a service manual for the 2010. That would allow me to generate a chart comparing the LED part #'s to the manufacturer ones...which we could use to bridge that gap.

Does anyone know which LED or what the manuf part number is for the tail bulbs? I'm looking at 7440's or 3156's as they are all single filament (non-brake light) bulbs.

I found that the "mini wedge bulbs" that I have used for most of my replacements (WLED-WHP5) are the 194 type bulbs, the wide ones from the storage area and rear passenger dome (3022-xHP2) are the 3022 (30mm festoon bulb)

5. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ok, so i'm lazy. I finally pulled out the bulbs that I had replaced and looked at the p/n's for them. I'll add them to the list on page 4

6. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can check which bulbs your 2009 uses stock at the Sylvania site then go to the superbright LEDs site and find the ones that best meet your needs. For instance, your turn signals are 7440A's...that's a 7440 type bulb in amber.

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  7. lecounte

lecounte New Member

Model:
    IV
    Just got my Prius IV with Sun Roof today and it has lights in front the foot wells. What are these?

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Lecounte - Congratulations on your Prius.
    I believe this is a feature exclusive to package IV and V. It's just a convenience feature, as much for appearance as it is for checking out your shoes while driving at night. Most times I forget it's even there, but I'm sure if it stopped working, I'll probably notice.

9. jsharpe

jsharpe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are any of the LED bulbs dimmable? Do they just turn off or gradually dim like the stock incandescents? I guess it probably depends on the technique that the Prius uses for doing the dimming. If it varies the voltage then my guess is most or all of the LED replacements will not dim, but if they dim via pulse width modulation then all would probably dim.

10. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The LEDs I installed in mine does dim like the regular incandescent bulbs.

11. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Forgot to add the vanity lights under the sun shades. I dont think i would have even known they were there except that my wife uses them in the morning on the way in to work. (fixed)

Also, I have 7 spare white WLED-WHP5's and 2 WLED-BHP5's if anyone is interested. I ordered them thinking that the external lights were mini wedges when they are actually full side wedge bulbs. I'll sell them for $5 ea, free shipping. They have never been used. PM me if interested.

12. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My extra bulbs have sold. Thanks for all of the interest. Here are some pics of the bulbs (old vs. new).

Here's a video where I attempted to show what the interior and exterior lights look like:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Bls-NGUdjXk&hl

Attached Files:

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I was slowly trying to pry down the whole console and the passenger lens flew out and I ripped the foam tape that holds the b race to the roof panel. It's funny tha tI tried to be extra cautions and blew it. Had I just ham-fisted it like normal, all probably would have went well.

The sagging feature is horrible. I need to get up there and remove all the tape (very little room) and tape,adn install new. I tried body molding tape to what's there to no avail. And, of course, now it rattles. So I really need to get in there to fix what I broke.

14. GNV Prius

GNV Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone tried Xenon bulbs? How do they compare to LED's? Are they brighter?

15. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I shot a quick video of my turn signals during the day for a reference for those considering them:

1 person likes this.
  16. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you think those are bright enough during the day?

17. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would say that they could be brighter but what's weird is that my wife was tailing me on the way to work the other day and she thought they were too bright. My take on that is that they are bright from behind due to the directional nature of LEDs but that it would be a good idea to add marker lights to the car to add side visibility (a good idea whether or not you have LED bulbs).

18. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do those blink faster than standard bulbs?

19. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They currently blink faster than the stock bulbs due to the lower resistance. Currently, I have only changed out the rear bulbs as the fronts require a bit more work - removing some of the panels on the underbody. Superbright LEDs(.com) sells a replacement flasher unit that blinks at a constant rate regardless of the resistance that I plan to purchase before installing the front turn signals.

I confirmed today that the 3rd brake light in the middle of the back of the car is factory LEDs as well.

After much thought and testing...i have decided to keep the LED reverse lights. While they do not put out as much light as the stock incandescents, I think that they have enough pros to outweigh the cons. I shot a video of them in the early afternoon comparing LED to stock but it doesnt even come close to showing true output. I'll try to shoot a vid at night to show the differences more clearly. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJFahWd0Nro"][/ame]

20. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think the LEDs will give you the light for the backup cam at night.