1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED Lighting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FreakinToddles, Aug 30, 2009.

1. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They do...i have LEDs and a backup camera. I'll post a vid when I get a chance...

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I ordered a few of the WLED-WHP5 from superbrightled's as well and just installed them. Wow, they are great bulbs! I just hope they last and don't have burnout problems...

I had installed Philips Blue Vision 5W5 bulbs when I also changed out my front and rear turn signal lamps with Philips Silver Vision bulbs. For those who have not seen them, you can see pics of the car here with them installed: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-parking-lights-rear-license-plate-bulbs.html

Now, here are some pics of the LED install for the front parking lights and the rear license plate lights. On the LEFT in each picture are the LED's and on the RIGHT in each picture are the Philips Blue Vision bulbs I had in there. They were whiter than the stock bulbs, but now you can see how even they appear yellow compared to these LED's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLD BULB IN PARKING LIGHT HOUSING:

[​IMG]

NEW LED BULB IN PARKING LIGHT HOUSING:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So right now you have the WLED-WHP5 bulbs in the parking lights and the license plate lights only? Do you still have the other ones that you originally purchased in the front & rear turn signals or did you replace those with LEDs also?

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

No, I only replaced the front parking lights with LED's and the rear license plate lights with LED's. I do not want to bother with LED's for the turn signals mainly because of the fast blink and the extra work involved to get them to blink at a regular rate. Also, how long are they really on? Not long enough for me to want to spend the extra money to replace them, albeit a little bit of money. I am very happy with the Silverstar's I have in there now since they at least get rid of the yellow tint in the housing. And another thing, they just don't seem bright enough for me (the led's as turn signal bulbs)

I just went down and replaced the bulbs in the front doors and the map light with the 4 philips bluevision 5w5 I had left over (they're the ones I took out when putting in the LED's). Right away I was able to see the difference they make in the door/map light. Not like the LED's of course but still better and at least they are continuing to get used.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you remove the door courtesy bulb? I took the cover off the door but I couldn't figure out which tab to push to remove that cover to access the bulb.

TIA!

Wilfredo likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't find WLED-WHP5 but is this the one?

"WLED-xHP5"

[​IMG]

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Those are them, but the X just gets replaced with the letter designation for the color of the LED. Drop down the menu and you'll see the letter change for the color of each bulb. Like if you want white the X becomes a W and so on.

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, I suck at trying to explain things like this but here are some pics on how to do it... I left out how to get it out of the door as this is simple and you said you did it already anyways Tideland...

For anyone else though, do unclip the whole unit from it's wire connector. If not you'll be fiddling around on the ground the whole time with a short 2 inch wire attached to it lol.

[​IMG]
    another view of the clip after pushing in on it and lifting up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wilfredo, jerryl899, Raywoo and 5 others like this.
  9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    While I'm doing this I took quick pics of how to remove the map light covers since some said they were breaking their clips.

Like I said, I SUCK at explaining how I do things sometimes so go easy! :) And yes, I used a knife but it is so dull it's basically a sturdy piece of steel which won't flex, nothing more...

I removed them like 4 times using this method and haven't broken a clip (yet! watch, now I'll jinx myself).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  10. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for all the great info (in both your posts). I've just ordered the new LEDs, PIAAs, etc. I'm definitely looking forward to getting them and putting them in place.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :redface: D'oh! Should've known

12. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just changed out the stock flasher with the LED compatible flasher from superbright LEDs.com (CF18-08 for $12.95). Turned on my hazards and got all up under the dash. The flasher is on the driver's side, behind the interior fuse box and up near the dash. I removed the panel along the driver's side door sill, then the driver's side kick panel and finally, the panel with the mirror adjustment switch and the hood latch. I removed the 2 electrical connectors and the hood pop latch from the panel to pull it off.

From there, I removed the 4 electrical connectors from the front of the fuse block (including the main power connector) and the two screws holding the fuse block to the frame. I pulled the fuse block down to allow me to see back to where the flasher unit was mounted.

The flasher unit is directly behind the top of the fuse block...up a few inches...not very easy to reach at all! It is mounted to what looks like a factory relay holding block. I laid on the driver's side floor and used a flathead screwdriver to release the clip that holds the flasher unit (relay) to the block. This was probably the most difficult part of the process. After quite a bit of knuckle slamming, frustration and contortionistical bending, it came off. It was held on to the wiring harness by 2 clips that are built into the body of the stock flasher unit. My stock unit was stuck to the wiring harness pretty well to the point that I pulled the cover off of the stock flasher in my attempts to separate them.

Next, I attached the LED Flasher unit, tested it out by turning on the hazards and pushed it back up under the dash.

Granted...this was probably not the most efficent way to get to the unit and change it out...and I hope those that read this learn from my experience. The bottom of the flasher unit is blue (at least mine was) and will help locate the unit. Having the flashers on while trying to find it definitely helped. I would recommend disconnecting the power after locating the flasher to make the swap out a little safer.

I noticed that the flashing speed returned to normal vs the increased speed that it had adopted since I changed the rear turn signals. Next, I plan to change out my front turn signals and confirm that the flasher regulates the flashing speed.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Question:

How bright are they? I ask because the G2 Prius' rear taillights are kinda dim and when I had to replace them, I was surprised that they're of the 192/168 type. So that got me thinking... if we're replacing maplights with LEDs, could we swap out the rear taillight and hopefully get some extra brightness?

14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Pretty bright Tideland... I think they would more than suffice as rear taillights. And you can even get them in red LED's though i don't know if they would be brighter than the white going through a red housing... I think someone did buy the amber ones and they said they were very bright as well (for replacing the front light behind the yellow reflector. It's a clear bulb by OEM but they went with the amber anyway which I bet looks nice)

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a red bulb going through a clear lens (Gen 2 remember?). I'll keep that in mind. If it doesn't work out, I can always use the reds as door courtesy lights (which reminds me, I also couldn't get the Gen 2's bulb out lol)

16. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That's right, it was clear. I thought for some reason the plastic inside the housing around the bulb was red and the exterior housing plastic ws clear...

I think it will work really well Tideland. Here's 2 pictures. One shows the front lit with just the LED parking lights on and the other one (poorly) shows the brightness of the rear license plate LED bulbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the exterior housing was clear, yes but there's this small internal housing around the bulb and I think that might....you know what? I'm not even sure now lol. But I do know that the bulb itself is red.

Well it's got to be a distance thing, right? It has to be viewable at 150m with x lumens or whatever the standard is. I do like the licence plate lights =).

Are there any softer LED lights? I tried replacing the interior one for the smart but the white light was a bit too strong compared to the softer yellow light of the regular halogen.

18. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would definitely give it a shot. the ones that paradox used above (and that I have in many locations in my car are great for spreading light in just about all directions (close to 270 degrees?). If you just want light shooting backwards (if the reflectors aren't as good or whatever), you can also go with a higher quality mini wedge such as the WLED-RHP which I swapped out for my maplights (using white) or the WLED-RLX which is a 1 watt LED. These two primarily shoot at a low angle but would be if you just want to get more light.

do not know...but there are plenty of options to try out...I would also say...go for it!

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what do you mean by "low angle"? As in a narrow beam of light?

Well it's not so much brightness for the interior lights but moreso soft light instead of the harsher white light (which isn't a problem for the licence plates or parking lights where i want them white)

20. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah, that's a benefit of LED's, you can focus the light or spread it out. The ones he showed you basically point the light straight out of it moreso than spreading it 180 degrees around.

How did they work out for the map lights antiflash? Do they focus it too straight down and while on hurt your eyes a bit at night?

1 person likes this.