1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED Lighting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FreakinToddles, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool! How bright are the footwell lighting in "dim" mode?? In stock form with the amber light, it's barely visible. It's much more visible when it's fully illuminated.

By "dim" mode, I mean the shifter is out of Park.

2. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It gets very dim. Sometimes I have to do a double take at my feet to make sure they are on.

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like the amber glow in the glove box, and would like it in the upper box as well. Any thoughts of unloading the ones you took out? I have a type-III, so no footwell lighting for me, but I'd like it.

4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure... just PM me and we'll work out the details. Thanks.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, eh? I wish they were a tad brighter. I know Toyota doesn't want to make it distracting but it's almost non-existent.

6. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Totally agree, especially with the center bridge and gear shift blocking additional light into that region. I think my next project is to find some way to illuminate that "shelf." Been on the hunt for a led light that can be mounted underneath there and plug into the 12V charger... or even somehow tap into it....

7. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, hotbrass has done the under console illumination mod.

did you write up a DIY hotbrass? It seems like a really simple mod that any of us can do!

9. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, not in one place. I dont really have much time to spend on it. I am working 24/7 until after the first of the year. If I can do it, anyone can.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darn... ok I guess I'll have to dig around for it.

11. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just finished replacing a bunch of bulbs on my (and my wife's) Prius and wanted to say thanks so much to Antiflash for the part numbers and to Paradox. Things went much smoother than I thought they would.. Was a bit scared changing the map lights - pulling down the center console was somewhat scary and it seemed like all my snaps let go at once, so when it came down, there was this huge noise and I thought for sure I broke something :) But I didn't. I changed out a total of 14 bulbs across two cars and didn't break a single clip or cover!

I can't find the thread now, but I thought I saw somewhere here that in order to change out the license plates lights, you needed to remove the whole back panel from the hatchback. It was much easier than that. There are two panels inside the hatch back that pop off. The plastic is pretty flexible, so I doubt you'll break them. I popoped them off from the side with a small screwdriver. The clips are at the top.

[​IMG]

Once those are off, you've got access to the license plates lights. You'll see a wiring connector going to the bulb:

[​IMG]

Unplug the power connector by pressing on either the top of bottom and pulling straight back.

[​IMG]

That gray plastic thing is the bulb housing. I used pliers and took it out by rotating it 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and pulling it out.

[​IMG]

Remove the bulbs from the housing and insert your LEDs.

[​IMG]

Put everything back together. When putting the bulb housings back in, turn clockwise until you hear then click into place.

Now I only have the overhead dome light and rear storage area light to replace. Unfortunately, it looks like superbrightleds.com no longer carries the part numbers Antiflash used. I found some that I think will work, but the color is a different temperature (I think 5500K versus 7500K). I'm not sure if I will notice the difference or not, so I'm holding off on those for now.

FYI, I replace my door lights with blue LEDs since I have a blue Prius. My wife saw them and wants blue ones for her Prius, even though it's silver. As a result, I have two extra WLED-WHP5 LEDs is anyone wants them. I'll sell them at my cost - $6 each, no postage. PM me if you want them.

Thanks again to everyone who posted on this thread!! It's helped me so much!!

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That was on the Gen II, on the Gen III it is very very easy by just removing those 2 plastic covers over where the bulbs are. The Gen II did not have them...

13. ogopogie

ogopogie New Member

Model:
    N/A
    What colour are they? I want to get rid of the amber ones in favour of a white LED or blue.

14. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad the part numbers worked out for you! I love LEDs and have been so stoked to have them in and on my Prius lighting up the world :)

16. cassiehvu

cassiehvu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is an image I saw on Ebay.

The price for this is $495. I think it is really overpriced.

I think this is just a LED effect.

If anyone has done this, please give me a guideline of how to do this. I would really appreciate!

Thanks a lot, guys!

Attached Files:

17. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I've paid a lot of accessories for my Prius but I am not paying that kinda money for just some interior cabin lights.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty cool (esp. the ring around the shifter) but that does seem a bit pricey.

Toyota does have JDM accessories for illuminated interior door handles and door pockets.

19. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright guys, I'm in a little need of assitance here if you don't mind. I'm trying to order the bulb to replace the dome light over the rear passenger area. I'm trying to order the "3022 WHP2" bulb. the "W" stands for white. However, if I look on superbrightleds.com I can't find the bulb. All I see is "3022-BHP2" which is the blue version. Is there anyone here that can please help me get the white this bulb?! Thanks!

-Cheers.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that item is no longer in production, that's why.

Would the 4 "bulb" version work? 3022 WHP4?