1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LEDs Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Frank Perkins, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I ordered an 8 LED Interior kit off of eBay for 22, including shipping. I was a little suspect everything would fit as expected and I only had one real issue and a few small ones:
    • The map lights use a 18 SMD Led panel. They don't fit flat against the backside of the light housing but they do have a few sticking points which should keep it secure
    • I was going to use the door lights for the license plate, but they are too long and did not fit. For the door lights, they BARELY fit. Be sure to align the front facing square led in the round hole
    • The only main issue is that they supply an 18 SMD LED for the trunk light and it doesn't fit. Looks like I have to get a few lights from superbrightleds to finish the project.
    As you would expect, everything is now super bright white and not yellow. To be honest, I'm not sure if I like it or not! It's really bright and a little "shocking" compared to the original yellowish incandescent lights. I'm going to see if it grows on me.

IMG_3716.JPG Map light example of before and after.

rsb97080, babybird and WE0H like this.
  2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Daylight colored lighting looks very modern to me. I prefer that color.

Mike :)

Mobile on my SGH-i717

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I think that I can find a better supplier for the LED replacements in the USA.
    I did the same job for my former 2004 and for the 2008.

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Same supplier that I purchased from. Very happy with the transaction, the LED lights supplied, and the finished look. Used one set of light (not sure which) for the license plate. They are bright and that's what I wanted.

WE0H likes this.
  5. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I created a custom order from superbrightleds but it was coming in over 50 bucks and I honestly wasn't sure how many LEDs I wanted per bulb for each use. That's why I just ordered one of these "kits" and figured most of it would work and anything else I can just fit in

WE0H likes this.
  6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Don't get me wrong, I congratulate you for your job and initiative. Also I like your comments of the modules not fitting appropriately and that's what I wanted to know.

babybird and Frank Perkins like this.
  7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the fitment issues because of the circuit board causing issues? Could it be filed or trimmed to fit?

tnx
    Mike :)

Mobile on my SGH-i717

8. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I actually did file the edges of the ceramic and got it to fit lengthwise, however there is a little jut in the plastic that made it overhang off about 1/4 inch. I would had to dremel it out and I decided that it wasn't worth it since I had to order a few other leds from superblahblah anyway.

Im waiting for license plate leds, trunk, center console (have to wire it), illuminated sill plates and LED fog lights.

babybird and WE0H like this.
  9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome :)

I'll have to order that eBay kit when I get home. I prefer the LED lighting over those old school bulbs it came with.

tnx
    Mike ;)

Mobile on my SGH-i717

10. babybird

babybird Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the LED replacements dim properly in the dome lights? I've been thinking for a while about doing this with my 2008 but I wasn't sure about the dimming issue and I don't think I'd ever seen anyone mention it on any of the threads I'd read before.

11. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Seems to dim normally to me.

WE0H likes this.
  12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got done putting an ebay kit in my 2005. Took three shipments and 4 months for the vendor to get all correct sizes to me. Half of the lamp bulbs were too long. I had to threaten him with bad PR to get a working trunk light (and that still took some modification to fit). FYI: The 2005 was listed in the ad as a perfect fit!

13. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got the Ebay set that was like 22$ shipped from China. Transaction went crazy smooth and they only took about 10 days to arrive. Install was cake for me but the trunk light would probably provide a challange for some as it was the only one not "plug and play" I sanded down the board a bit and soldered the light directly to the connections. The rear dome light and the door loghts I could see being a little tricky for some people to pop off.

all in all for the like 22$ I spent I'm absolutly satisfied. Sure there is probably better out there but my understanding is an equivilant kit would easily run $90+... No thanks. The lights are stupid brite, all the same color which is a rich white. The door lights impressed me the most, they actually do there job. Cars can see the door is open a mile away and the entry is vastly illuminated now for entry. I work crazy hours and frequently walk out to my car at 10:00 at night (who am I kidding I work at a college in Irvine, one of the safest cities in the nation, what do I have to fear) and the car lights up like Disneyland. And yes they still do the dimming thing. Truthfully I didn't know the car auto brought the lights from off to adim lighting when you walked close until i put these in. The stock lights subpar brightness + dark window tint makes it hard to tell.

KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy and WE0H like this.
  14. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like the same kit!

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That seller is a fast shipper. Ordered last night and they had a tracking number before sunrise here :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

16. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My order from superbrightleds.com came in. Took about 2 minutes to install ;-)

- 2 License plate LEDs - There are a lot to choose from but I picked the one that has 120 degrees of light
    - Trunk light - This barely fit as it's longer that the OEM fuse. Definately don't try to go longer than 30mm (that's what she said)

I also ordered a center console light, but I still have to wire it up. I'm really hoping the fog lights I ordered from (china? korea?) on ebay work out as they were only 7 bucks. Those are coming next week.

17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Fog lights for $7. URL please?

18. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's linked.. click on "fog lights"!

kenoarto likes this.
  19. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please take pictures/video on install and send report on the fog lights when you get them.

20. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That sounds like a great price. Please, post back with the results good or bad of the lights. I sick of these yellow fogs...