1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior light left on..caused damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pcdave, Nov 24, 2012.

1. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Left the interior light on last night from about 2am till 6pm tonight when I noticed I had a new auxiliary battery fitted in June so should be good. Car light seemed strong at 6pm and started without any problems. Do you think I got lucky or should I go take it for an hour drive tomorrow to make sure its charged back up anything its taken off.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A one hour drive is insufficient. You should leave the Prius READY overnight (no need to actually drive the car), or hook up a battery charger to the battery overnight.

3. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm I don't think leaving it ready on the street would be safe how long a drive should I take it roughly it all seemed fine so far?

Or is my option really to get a battery charger from somewhere. Can I not check the battery volts?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You say the interior light was left on for 16 hours. There are two overhead lights, one in the front and the other in the rear ceiling. I am going to guess that the two lights consume 20W of power or 1.7A of current.

1.7A x 16 hours = 27Ah. If the battery was 100% fully-charged prior to this episode (which is unlikely) then it would be drained to less than 50% capacity after this incident. If the battery was 75% of full charge (which is more likely) then it would be drained to less that 25% capacity.

Since the Prius 12V bus operates at ~13.8V when the car is READY, the charging current is not going to be very high. On average you might expect around 2-3A charging current. To make up 27Ah you would have to keep the car READY for 9-13 hours assuming no power was lost to heating up the 12V battery (which is not a realistic assumption.)

Hence it would be easier for you to hook up a battery charger if you can park the car near an AC power outlet.

You can measure battery voltage after the car has been IG-OFF for 8 hours, and that will give you a very rough idea of battery charge. An AGM battery which is fully-charged will measure 12.9V. 75% will be around 12.6V.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  5. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that explanation bud, think it was only the front light that I left on by accident but will double check if it turns on the rear when I turn that on. I will need to find someone with a battery charger or will leave the car on ready today for a quite a few hours while keeping an eye on it.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The greater risk of running the Prius battery flat, due to its smaller capacity than common nonhybrids, was the reason I switched the interior lights to LEDs that draw about one tenth the current of the original lamps.

7. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right went out and checked it was only the front reading lights on not the back as well as they dont switch it on unless done at the switch do I guess its not as bad as it could of been. The battery was reading 11.9 and with lights on was 11.6 so taken it for a good hour and half drive. Tested again its 12.6v and with heater back screen and lights on its 12.1 So if I take it for another couple of hours drive tomorrow do you think it should be okay now bud?

Also fuzzy im interested in these led lights now was it easy to do ?
    Edit found these think they look okay 8PCS TOYOTA PRIUS 04'-11' LED PACKAGE LIGHT BULB KIT LICENSE DOME TRUNK INTERIOR | eBay

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, if only one light was on then the charging time needed will be half of the values I earlier estimated. Note that the battery voltage measurement is not reliable unless it is done after the car has been IG-OFF for 8 hours or so (which allows battery surface charge to dissipate.)

9. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good stuff bud will check the voltages again tomorrow morning allowing time for it to dissipate and then I guess im going to need to give it a fill up and go for a nice long drive up the highlands for a good few hours such a hardship :D

Thanks for your knowledge again much appreciated

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dave you can put the car in ready mode with the fob in the slot, but remove the ordinary key from the fob first then lock the car.

The engine will start and stop from time to time to recharge the HV battery as required this in turn charges the 12 volt battery when in ready mode.

Remember the Prius does not have an alternator so the engine does not have to be running to charge the 12 volt battery but it will run occasionally in ready to charge the HV battery.

11. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers bud hopefully will be okay now. My dads taken it on a run to Edinburgh and back as well as a few other places so its had over 4 hours of driving today and will take it for another couple tomorrow afternoon. I ordered that led kit as well so just in case i get clumsy again lol

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The festoon dome light there is the same style I use, but the wedge map light is not. This style, with LEDs on all four sides and on the end, would generically work just about anywhere but wastes a bunch of light (and power) in unused directions. I have a model with LEDs just on the end: this (polarized), obtained at a flea market, and something similar to this (selection has changed).

The lower door starts with the same incandescent lamp, and could also use the wedge unit you found. But I have this (non-polarized) and something similar to this. To fit, I had to leave out a transparent plastic piece of the car's lamp housing, but this change is non-destructive and reversible.

There are several other LED threads here on PC, using products from many different vendors. I don't recall anyone else used Wiredco.com products. Numerous readers have used Superbrightleds.com parts, though many seem to have moved on to other venders they like better.