1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent engine vibration

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pokey13, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Pokey13

Pokey13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had intermittent vibrations since I bought my car. I made a little video of the sound - I can't post the link because I am new to the forum, but would be happy to send it to any of you who are interested. PLEASE let me know if you have this sound happening in your car...is it normal??

Only happens when the engine is on.
    Seems to happen more in the winter.
    Will happen when I come to a stop (and the engine is on due to heater, seat heaters, etc)...I can let up on the brake and it will stop.
    Seems to happen when, as I would say in the old days, you shifted too soon! Kind of like low power...happens maybe around 19mph, 29mph.
    Only happens for the first 15 minutes or so -- I drive 7 miles to work, all side roads (although there is about 1 mile where the speed limit is 55), and I drive like a Prius owner who is trying to maximize my gas mileage!

It doesn't seem to happen once the car is warmed up and it happens less in the summer.

Thank you for any advice.

2. Pokey13

Pokey13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you describe the sound - is it high-pitched, rattly or grumbly or something else? Loud or soft?

Also - is it ONLY when you're stopped? I don't understand what you mean about then letting up on the brake?

PRIUS does make some odd noises at times - we get used to them. They're normal for PRIUS - just not like a "normal" car.

Have you asked the dealer?

4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The Prius has always shuddered, from light in the current gen to noticeable in the previous gens, when the ICE kicks on or off. You'll have to make a recording of the noise that it makes in order for us to help you out.

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She has recorded it - but couldn't post the YouTube link because she's a new member. It's now above on POST #2.

#5 alanclarkeau, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2019
  6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I can hear which sound you're referring to - it's very difficult recording in a vehicle, because there are other "normal" noises as well. It's hard to say - but it's not something I've heard before, and I'd just be guessing.

Have you asked the dealer's service section?

7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, I've never heard my Prius make that noise before. Might wanna find somebody nearby, preferably forum member, with a code reader to see if the computer's got any codes stored.