1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent error lights (triangle and hybrid system)engine code 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tarheeltango, Aug 2, 2020.

1. tarheeltango

tarheeltango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We initially got the red triangle, check engine, and hybrid system error light (from the secondary display on the touch screen, images attached). We let it sit a bit and when I went to take a pic of the error lights and to try to move it a short distance, the gas pedal wouldn't "engage", no flow from gas engine to charge the hybrid battery which was on the lowest bar, so parked the car immediately.
    After a couple of days we tried a little trouble shooting including checking inverter coolant pump, the error lights were not coming on at that time.
    So my husband ordered a FIXD reader, which is generating only a P3190 - Poor engine power error code.
    The 12V battery has previously been replaced once but has been a few years.
    The main hybrid battery is a replacement refurbished battery 2-3 years old.
    Another note is this all happened just after we'd had some work done after putting new tires on and having vibrations....the shop fixed the struts in both front wheels.
    Looking for any thoughts on what the problem might be?

2. tarheeltango

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oops forgot to attach with first post

Attached Files:

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Though FIXD claims otherwise, it could be the device isn't able to read all of the codes (DTCs) or isn't fully compatible with toyota hybrids.

How many miles on this 2007 vehicle?

How many hours per week are you currently driving?

Looks like the 12v battery might be fine (for the moment), but what is the resting voltage at currently?

Were you able to drive the vehicle after the strut and tire work was completed?

Here is the step by step work up for DTC P3190 : https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2019/10/176519_DTC_P3190_P3191_P3193.pdf

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. tarheeltango

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the response.
    It has just under 200k miles. Currently that car (just pre the issues) was only being driven probably a day or two for short trips every couple of weeks, given COVID and wfh.
    I think I've seen on here a way to check the voltage? I'll have to see if can get ahold of a voltmeter but that hasn't been checked yet.
    The car was driven after the strut work (well, after the tires, but it was brought home then down to a different shop, tires were put on at BJs) back to the house. I'm pretty certain the next time it was driven was a short trip in the neighborhood when it triggered the error lights. So it's possible my husband didn't notice the battery wasn't recharging on the way home from the shop. There was a brief time where the gas wasn't charging the battery, but it apparently did some yesterday. We haven't done more than really short trips moving it around during trouble shooting as didn't want to do more damage without having a better idea what we may be looking at.
    Thanks for the information as well!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    test the 12v at the front jump point with the car off

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to try using that fixd adapter with another app like Torque, as I'm not sure if fixd is fast enough to be used with Dr Prius app.

If you're up for it, many prefer to use a 'Mini-VCI' cable and a copy of techsteam (dealer tech software), costs about $20 and a laptop.

This link can help you pick out a quality OBD2 adapter : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Does the engine start and run for longer than 10 seconds? (do you feel warm/hot exhaust at the tailpipe)