1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent exterior door lock button

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eisenson, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    '04 - Oct 03 - 22k miles - no mods to the door lock circuitry

Perhaps 1 out of 10 times I'll exit the car, push the black button, and NOTHING.

I can open and reclose the door, no difference. Nothing's been left on, and the remote LOCK button works. The black buttons on the rear deck and pass side don't work either.

Anyone else encounter this, or is this my personal black cloud?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

any beeps when it does it? also just might try and cycle the SKS on/off button under the wheel and see if some thing there is amiss.

3. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nada, rien, shum d'var, p'ta, tondai monai. No beeps, lights, clicks. It's as though that part of the system (the three black rubber buttons and associated wiring, relay, whatever) are disconnected. When it's in that state, nothing (including that button under the wheel) will change things unless I turn the car ON and then OFF, and try again.

But remember - the remote will lock the car, so that portion of the system is fine.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    do you have a cell phone in your pocket? if my cell and my key fob are in my pocket, it decides not to work sometimes. When opening the doors i have to do it twice or hold my hand there. maybe your batteries are low. it has to detect the fob naturaly. when you press a button it sends the signal on demand. since it scans on a non constant basis ( <-- i think this is correct ) then if the fob is low it won't detect till you are fairly close.

try holding the fob in your hand when you press the button. nothing to get in it's way, it's really close. should work. If you already tried this, then ignore my comment.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I'd hazzard a guess that there is a loose connection in one of the wire harnesses that run to the alarm ECU from the door switches. Maybe Kyle or Rick have run across this before.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every once in a while I'll hit the button and get no response. But usually if I wait a brief second and try again it works fine. Never had to resort to the fob lock button.

Have you noticed any pattern to the vehicle location. I've seen reports of folks parking in certain areas (a shopping center in one case) where the SKS didn't seem to work properly in some areas. The assumption is that there is some sort of radio interference or something.

If none of those factors seem to be the case and it's really as often as 1/10 times it's occuring you probably should have it checked.

7. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cellphone is on a belt clip and the Prius fob is across my body, so that's not it.

On my car the LOCK buttons won't work without a fob in my possession, so perhaps this is just first evidence of a failing battery. I changed it, and will see what happens. The car and the original fob battery are 15 months old...

I was surprised to learn that the fob is necessary to LOCK the car, and I'm hopeful the solution might be as simple as replacing a failing battery.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've been using the rear lock button on a regular basis, so the wear-and-tear is spread more evenly. Maybe that's a REALLY good thing...

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    since you mention how long it will ast with normal wear and tear.. i wonder how long before it does wear out. Think of an old doorbell, they always have a hole in the center. I wonder how long before this rubber wears out.

10. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think these switches are million+ (standard these days), so their electrical function will surely outlast the rest of the car, and the polymer cover is unlikely to ever develop a hole.

I might have cried 'wolf' - it was probably the fob battery...

11. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, cry wolf. it gives a post for others to read if they experiance a simular problem. When your car is not working properly you don't always know what's wrong, so you ask.

That's where we are here for :)

Good luck with the battery change working.

12. xevious

xevious New Member

Fob battery life is rated at 1-3 years, so you're in the right range. Please let us know if a new battery resolves this situation.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I would think that if the fob appeared unresponsive to the car because of weak battery or interference, you would have gotten a nice long beep, instead of no feedback at all.

Carspeak for: You can't lock the car that way, you don't have a fob!

14. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

Ever since I got a cell phone with Bluetooth, I've been having the problem. Every once in a while I push the lock button to lock the car and nothing happens. The fob and cell phone are both in my purse. So I take the fob out and try again and then it works.

15. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

I sometimes have the same problem if my cell phone and key fob are right next to each other. ALSO, if I leave my cell phone in the car, and the cell phone is still on when i go to get back into the car, the only way to get in the car is to manually open it with the key.

16. jeepien

jeepien Member

This symptom can also happen if you have another fob with you and it's inside the car. The outside black buttons will refuse to work, but the fob buttons wor fine. I think the outside sensors also fail in this case, and you have to use the fob buttons to get back in again.

I discovered this when I had one fob in my pocket and one in my briefcase in the cargo area. Naturally this happened in the rain, and I'm standing there trying to push the black buttons with no result.

I figured it out much later.

17. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

The only issue I mentioned on the new Prius survey was intermittent drivers side door lock button.

I have never had hatch or passenger button fail to operate.

I do use blue tooth phone on my belt.

I have noticed on those times it fails to operate a pump is running - probably the coolant to dewar pump.

I don't think it is a bad switch or fob battery - this is a 2005.

The drivers door just does not want to lock right now.

If I wait a bit, it works OK.

Robert

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It has happened to me rarely. More often I hit the button and do not hear the beep because of noise. Just to be safe I hit it again and watch for the light flash. It seems to me that the non lock thing happens more when I am in a hurry and moving away from the car and hitting the button with out stretched arm. I have discounted the doppler effect I no longer move that fast. 8) If I step back and stand closer it works ok.

19. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"67935)</div>
    Just ran across this thread. I have not had any complaints from my customers here. Maybe they all use there FOB and never use the buttons :roll: Who know,but I will keep a look out for any probs.

20. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

I was reading and found this thread like rick.
    I do know what is happening. It happens when you hit the button to quick.
    There is a setting that your dealer can make to make the sensors check for the key more often.
    TRANSMIT INTVAL
    (Transmition interval)
    Function to set the smart key signal interval transmitted from the outside of the vehicle when the vehicle is parked.
    300 ms is default
    150 ms/
    300 ms/
    450 ms/
    600 ms
    Also I like to change the park wait so when I forget something I can open it without waiting.
    PARK WAIT TIME
    (Wait time to permit
    opening door after
    locking)
    Setting a wait time to permit opening a door after it being locked with SMART entry.
    2.5 s is default
    0.5s
    /1.5s/
    2.5s
    /5s
    There are other things that will interfer with the signals, but this will make a ton of difference I can tell when a car comes in that doesn't have the Transmition interval set at 150ms.
    WARNING: This will also cause your 12v battery to run down faster if it is left for a long time if you drive it every day it is no problem. Just turn the smart key off if it will be siting for a few days. you can still use the remotes to unlock your doors.