1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent failure to go into "ready" mode

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jbreebs, Oct 9, 2019.

1. jbreebs

jbreebs New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius v, and recently I've had an issue where I follow my usual routine - get in, foot on brake, turn headlights on, buckle seatbelt, and then push the power button. All the accessories come on just fine... and then the car won't go to "ready" mode. After waiting for the accessories to turn off (pushing the power button again does nothing to speed this process up), I will try again, and the same thing happens. On the third try, it tends to go right to "ready" mode. I thought maybe the 12v battery was failing, so I had it checked and was told it was fine, and I'm stumped about why this keeps happening. The hybrid battery appears to be charging as normal while driving/braking. The failure to go to "ready" happens more often when the car is cold - while running errands around town I haven't had issues with it going to "ready" when the car is warm. Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Check the brake lights to make sure the brake switch is working. Some have had problems with that switch.

Air_Boss likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good call. That’s an interlocking failure point.

4. jbreebs

jbreebs New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had someone check them when it didn't go to ready the other day- brake lights were functioning as normal

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the original 12v? i don't trust people who test the 12v and say it's 'fine'

6. jbreebs

jbreebs New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure. I bought the car used from an estate sale, and the lady selling it didn't know those details. I had the local toyota dealer do a PPI, and they didn't mention anything about the battery being old. I had it tested at Autozone, and they didn't try to sell me a new battery, so I guess I trust their judgement?

7. jbreebs

jbreebs New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I looked at the 12v battery today and what I assume to be the manufacturing date (only date-like number I see) is 020911, meaning that the battery is ~8.5 years old? Maybe it's time for a new battery?

8. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    bingo-bisco got it!

Start there then see if problems persist