1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent Flicker of Dash Display and Center Console

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dschwartz1957, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dschwartz1957

dschwartz1957 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Over the last few months there has been an intermittent flicker of the speedometer display and center console touch screen display. This has happened several times and the duration varies.

As I am driving, the dash lights flicker for an instant, then come back on. I usually drive with my headlights on. Both the speedometer display and the center console display are affected. This happened several times a few weeks ago, then it stopped. At that time the dash lights flickered and stayed on a low level for a while before coming back to their brighter setting. This time the lights went off very briefly (under a second) and then came back on.

Any idea what could cause this intermittent flicker? I don't want to be driving on the highway and experience a major system failure of the hybrid system or various computers.

I replaced the 12v battery 2 years ago. The hybrid battery is original to the car.

My car is a 2006 with 192,000 miles. The A/C stopped working last July and I am hesitant to spend a lot of money repairing a high mileage car with a mysterious electrical problem. There are no warning lights displayed.

Thank you,

David Schwartz
    2014 Prius - 35,000 miles
    2006 Prius - 192,000 miles
    2002 Prius - 198,000 miles

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bad dimmer switch?

3. Ragin' Ronnie

Ragin' Ronnie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The same exact thing happens with my '06 Prius. It just happened almost 5 times in a row quickly, which is the most it has ever done it, and which is why I started looking online for tips.

It has done this every once in a while, maybe twice a week, since I've owned the car (about 2 years). It has never affected the the car in any other way....just a couple flickers to dim and back.

I think yeah, could be a faulty dimmer switch. I use that switch a lot, so maybe there's just a bad connection going on. The dimming effect is the same as when you turn your dimmer switch just thru that first click.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could also be the combo meter going out. bad solder joint on the board. you can find threads here. also, check the 12v health and connections, especially negative to ground.