1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent HID headlight issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by veggieranger, Sep 30, 2011.

1. veggieranger

veggieranger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm a newly registered user but am not new to your site. This has been a great resource. I did all of my pre-purchase research here, learned how to inspect Gen2 vehicles and have been working through general maintenance items for my new (to me) 2004 Prius.

I have searched through most of the HID headlight issues and haven't found my specific problem yet so I'm posting about it looking for ideas. When I'm driving at night and turn on my HID headlights, both driver and passenger lights work fine. As I drive, eventually, the passenger side bulb goes out and stops working. If I stop, turn off the car and then turn it back on, both headlights work again.

This has happened twice now. Do I need to troubleshoot the harness or could this be the builb starting to fail?

Thanks,

-VR

2. veggieranger

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't seem to get my signature to work on my existing post. Here is a reply that should show my signature.

-VR

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your problem sounds like the standard Gen II HID issue. Start with new bulbs, which are fairly inexpensive. Buy good ones, not an unknown knockoff. Sources are listed in the other HID threads.

It is possible that you may have a ballast issue with the passenger side, but I wouldn't assume that until you try new bulbs.

Tom

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Xenon-Headlight-Bulb-Pack/dp/B00480J4KA should be the right bulbs for your 04 (06-09 went to D4R). There are plenty of threads on doing it yourself. If you've got small hands and are not unlucky like me to have the clip come off, you can do it w/o removing the front bumper cover.

There are TONS of headlight change threads but some of the links and videos at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...d-tank-trying-replace-passenger-side-hid.html might help, as a starting point.

I agree you should start by changing the suspect bulb out first before replacing anything else.

5. veggieranger

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick reply. I actually bought one replacement bulb but didn't change it because the light came back on and started working. When I was reading through some of the posts, several folks suggest replacing both bulbs and not just one. Should I order another and do both at the same time?

I sure don't want to have this new bulb burn out and have to order two more!

Thanks,

-VR

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The bulbs tend to go out at nearly the same time. Your passenger side is definitely bad and will soon fail completely. If you replace 1 following the long form instructions, i.e. removing the bumper, or if you pay someone to do it, then it is a bummer to have to go through it again a month or two later. But if you only replace 1, that in and of itself will not cause the other old one or the new+old to burn out.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed w/seilerts' advice. If you only replace one and are able to do it w/o removing the front bumper cover, there isn't that much of a reason to replace the other at the same time.

Sometimes people do it because there might be a color difference. I didn't notice any when I did only one wouldn't have really cared.

In retrospect, when I had the bumper cover partly off, perhaps I should've done both at the same time. I had 2 replacement bulbs on hand. My passenger side HID on my 06 started winking out in March 2011 and replaced it in early April. Oddly (?) my driver's side one is stil ok, for now.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your 04? Do you know if the previous owner cycled them on/off a lot or used them as daytime running lights?

8. veggieranger

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I do my own service and I'm hoping to replace it this afternoon using the short method. (although I have big hands but a good mirror) It would be great to have a video on youtube of a headlight assembly removed from the vehicle showing how to remove the backing and clip, replace the bulb and reassemble.

If I end up having to take the bumper off, I'll pull the headlight assembly and take a video. I'm hoping this isn't the case since I need to change the drive belt and CVT oil today too.

-VR

The Prius has 130k miles on it. I have it in my signature now but I added it after my initial post.

9. veggieranger

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced the passenger HID bulb a few mins ago. I highly recommend getting the Bentley manual for this. I paid $56 for the brand new book on eBay and it has already paid for itself with this one job.

I spent a few minutes reviewing the detailed drawings of how to replace the bulb and then spent a few mins watching a Youtube video of the short method.

1. I removed the black piece covering the radiator
    2. I removed the small black plastic piece that covers an air tube in the engine bay behind the headlight housing.
    3. I removed the intake hose from the side of the airbox and moved it out of the way.
    4. I turned counter-clockwise and removed the black cover off of the back of the headlight assembly and moved it out of the way.
    5. I turned counter-clockwise the HID controller module on the back of the bulb assembly, removed it and moved it out of the way.
    6. I released the spring clips on either side of the bulb and pushed them down to clear the bulb.
    7. I removed the bulb being careful to memorize the orientation of the bulb in the socket.
    8. Wearing nitrile gloves, I placed the new bulb in the socket in the same orientation without touching the glass of the bulb.
    9. While holding the bulb in place with one finger, I manipulated one side of the spring clip over the bulb assembly and locked it into place. (side closest to the passenger side of the car first but not sure if this matters)
    10. I continued to hold the bulb in place and moved the second side of the spring clip over the bulb and locked it into place.
    11. I placed the HID controller module over the bulb assembly, pushed it in all the way and turned it clockwise until it locked into place.
    12. I positioned the black housing cover back into place being careful to make sure the wires were not crimped when closing the cover.
    13. I turned the black cover clockwise to lock it into place.
    14. I returned the small black piece to its position on the air tube.
    15. I reattached the intake hose to the airbox.
    16. I reassembled the black cover on the radiator and then tested the headlights.

It worked like a champ and took about 15 minutes. I haven't tried the driver's side but you definitely don't need to remove the bumper and headlight assembly to do the passenger side bulb. I have huge hands so if I can do it, anyone can!

Thanks for all of the great help on this project.

-VR

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can find such a video at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...nce-replacing-hid-headlights.html#post1140981.

You're lucky that you your change went trouble free. The black cover on my passenger side light was REALLY tight. For awhile, I didn't realize that I could move the whole assembly over towards the middle of the car, fearing I'd break something like the wires. I think that's how the darn metal clip came off and there was no way to get that on there blindly, nor with the aid of a mirror on a stick.

So, what I thought might be an hour job for me turned into multiple hours and a lot of swearing... :(

11. veggieranger

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. I could see how having that spring clip come off would make for a lot bigger job. The longest part of the job was trying to get the back cover off because mine was really tight too. I didn't realize that it only turns a little and then you have to focus on pulling it off. Once I figured that out it will be easier next time.

Thanks for the video link!

-VR

12. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same problem with my passenger side HID on my 2004. OP, did replacing the bulb fix the problem?

Thanks!

HHPrius likes this.
  13. gnuster

gnuster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Starting about a year ago, the driver's side headlight of my 2006 Prius sometimes failed to go on when I first turned on the car's lights. Toggling the headlights off and back on usually reset the lights. More recently, the headlight has failed while driving, so I took the plunge to replace the light as a DIY job (bought the bulb on Amazon).

From the forum posts and youtube, I was able to figure out most things for the short way (remove the fuse cover, loosen the cap, remove the headlight connecter, the two sides of the spring pin). But it was really hard to budge the headlight cap in the limited space on the driver's side.

When I watched the 3-minute lusciousgarage video, I noticed that the mechanic grabbed a long screwdriver at one point. I couldn't easily figure out what she used it at first.

There's a hole in the car frame that is almost directly below the headlamp cover, about 3-4 inches lower. By sticking a long screwdriver (I used one about 8-10 inches long) into that opening, I was able then to leverage against the lower part of the headlight cap -- specifically against the part of the cap where the cable enters. Like opening a jar, I carefully applied firm pressure and voila! it moved.

Be careful to not snag any wires with the screwdriver and also I started gently to ensure that I didn't break off parts of the cap. Using this method once was enough so that I could finger loosen and tighten the cap.

Attached are some pictures for reference. I had used the blue masking tape to make it easier for me to see if the cap was budging and to figure out the position. There are markings on the plastic cap and housing, but you have to look close to see them.

All told the job took about 30 minutes -- it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to budge the cover the first time and the rest was pretty simple. I didn't remove any screws or other parts than the fuse panel cover.

Attached Files:

14. IggyBeast

IggyBeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Folks,
    The intermittent headlight problem.
    the lowest hanging fruit is the headlight relay located in the engine compartment (cheap)
    Bulbs are next and most likely... hard to get too... no matter which way you go.. and I suggest you change them in pairs.
    Ballast is third and last on the most probable list
    Wikipedia has an excellent article on HID discharge lamps...... which clearly describes many of the symptoms we all are having.
    Obviously the bulbs are first and foremost... but also note the Wikipedia talks about NOT the fact that the bulbs age while turned ON.
    Apparently running the lamps ages them, Sure... BUT
    But.... but the fact that turning them on, off, then on again while hot, really deteriorates and degrades lamp life.
    I agree, manually turn them on and off... and attempt not to simply turn them on for a 'short time, then off, then back on.

SFO likes this.
  15. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure everyone on this thread resolved their problems...6 years ago ;)