1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

intermittent icons on dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ruggb, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ruggb

ruggb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    07 Prius - option 3 I believe w/o nav system.
    IE, upgrade audio, bluetooth, backup camera, abs, stability

My wife say that intermittently a number of icons including:

Master Warning
    Slip Indicator
    Hybrid System
    Recirculate Mode
    Airbag SRS Warning

come on randomly at the same time while she is driving, stay on for a while then FADE out. They also come on white and not the color they show when starting the car.

I drove it tonight but did not notice all that, but I did see Recirculate come on once as I was backing up, then go off as I moved forward.

Has anyone run into this?

obviously the dealer isn't going to have a clue and since it is intermittent and I can't really explain it, it will never get found.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe your wife should keep a digital camera in the car and take some photos when this happens. The idea that these warning icons appear in white instead of the normal color is especially creepy...

3. cuong.v.nguyen

cuong.v.nguyen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We just got an 08 Prius and I saw this once for about 1 sec then have not see it since. We got the car for about 1.5 month now. What this remind me of is like the regular car when you turn off the ignition or the normal car stall, then you see all of these light come on. Our went off quickly because I press the accelerator.

4. mymimi

mymimi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have seen this problem on my truck when the 12v battery is low. that might explain
    "went off quickly because I press the accelerator"

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *Moved the thread up one level to the Care, Maintenance & Troubeshooting forum*

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Icons like these can appear lit when ambient light hits them just the right way. The description of them being white makes me think this is the case here. Sunlight shining in the right way reflects off of the icon stencil, making the icons appear white, even though they are not lit.

Tom

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Rug..,

You should have your mechanic check the connections to the 12 V battery in the rear passenger side of the car.

Those icons do not normaly flick on an off randomly. They can come for their intended purpose - like a person or heavy bag on the pasenger seat will make the airbag light come, or accellerating heavily over a loose or wet man-hole cover will make the traction slip icon come on. And recirculate should only switch when you press the button recirculate button.

A loose connection to the 12 V battery may cause this action, however.

8. uddinsamsu

uddinsamsu New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know how or if you can change the language display on the multidisplay monitor on a 2000 imported Prius from japanese to english