1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent p0420 - Cat efficiency issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gbru316, Aug 15, 2013.

1. gbru316

gbru316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2006 prius with 142k miles on it. For the past 6 months, I've been experiencing an intermittent CEL, p0420. It hasn't noticeable affected performance, or gas mileage. I have a 67 mile (1 way) commute and average 49 mpg.

Lately, I've been suspecting that this code is triggered by high humidity. I confirmed it today, it was on this morning at 5 am and stayed on until evening. I made a quick stop (about 10 mins) on the way home from work and the code was cleared when I started the car. A quick meteorological check via the internet showed humidity had dropped to 35%. Last week, we had a few gorgeous low humidity days and the code cleared then as well.

I just got done cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body. I'm due for an inspection by the end of the month and I don't have the time to analyze o2 sensor voltages. I'm just looking for some input. Does the intermittent nature of the CEL rule out the cat?

2. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Po420 is a failing catalytic converter and it's not uncommon at 150K.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No.

You might try replacing the air/fuel ratio sensor first, to see if that will help. If not then the catalytic converter will need to be replaced.

A failing catalytic converter has no impact on fuel economy or engine performance (unless the cc is beginning to clog up, in which case engine power would be restricted.)

ydpplqbd and SFO like this.
  4. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing the Air Fuel Ratio sensor is a waste of money. This is a newer car and has a post cat sensor.
    It monitors the cat for efficiency loss.

SFO likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I understand that.

As the engine ECU varies the air/fuel mixture, it compares the voltage output provided by the upstream air/fuel ratio sensor, with the voltage output provided by the downstream oxygen sensor. The engine ECU expects the upstream sensor voltage output to vary widely while the downstream sensor voltage output should be fairly constant which proves the catalytic converter is functioning correctly in converting HC to CO2 and H2O.

If the upstream sensor is marginal then its voltage readings will not vary as widely as a new sensor. Hence the installation of a new sensor may help the engine ECU to decide the catalytic converter is acceptable.

Especially since the OP has pointed out that the issue is intermittent, that provides further hope that replacing the air/fuel ratio sensor may allow the OP to defer replacement of the catalytic converter.

ydpplqbd, SFO and koolingit like this.
  6. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Not quite! An A/F sensor doesn't have the same signal as an Ho2s.
    The post sensor input is the determining factor for P0420.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  7. mikee024

mikee024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am very interested in this subject as well as I have been getting the P0420 code intermittently.

After clearing the code it might come on after a few days, or may take many weeks. It never comes back on within the same day of clearing it.

This week I have cleaned the MAF/TB and replaced the spark plugs. I am going to run only Chevron gas and plan to put a bottle of Techron through the system as well here soon.

Is there a way to check the O2 sensors while leaving them hooked up without buying a OBD II scanner?

I would rather not remove any sensors to do a blow torch bench test and I'm not keen on the idea of splicing into the signal wires. I suppose it could be possible to run a small jumper line in between the male/female plug junction. Feel free to flame me is that is a bad idea.

I'm simply looking to make intelligent choices in troubleshooting this code rather than making my wallet lighter by blindly ordering parts.

Any input is greatly appreciated as I'm always looking to learn!

ydpplqbd likes this.
  8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Replace the downstream O2 sensor first, it is much cheaper than the A/F ratio sensor.

9. mikee024

mikee024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your input!

10. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to use a capable scanner to read active A/F and post cat sensor data. It's a pretty fool proof system and most (99%) P0420's are cat failures. As the precious metals on the substrate degrade along with the converters ability to store oxygen, it causes the post cat sensor to detect the AF ratio changes in the exhaust stream. The ECM detects it based on the post cat feedback and sets the DTC. Replacing the post cat sensor won't fix it. It's a total waste of time and money. Everyone tires these fixes to get around paying for a cat, but it's a fruitless effort. Don't waste your time. Don't buy the cheap FleaBay universal converters. They won't work. Buy an OEM unit from Toyota and save yourself the headaches.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is true that the downstream oxygen sensor is less expensive. However, replacing it does not help if the intent is to try to get around the P0420 code without replacing the cc.

As the oxygen sensor deteriorates, it tends to be less responsive to changes in air/fuel ratio, which is exactly what you want here. You want the downstream sensor voltage output to be slow to change.

If you replace the downstream sensor, the new part will be more responsive, hence will produce greater voltage fluctuations.

I agree with this, once the OP has decided to invest in a cc replacement. However this requires the OP to step up to paying $1,650 MSRP (or ~$1,236 plus shipping if he buys from one of the dealers selling discounted parts over the web) plus the associated labor cost.
    2006 TOYOTA PRIUS Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

Hence the interest in trying to defer that four-digit repair price.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  12. gbru316

gbru316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Drove to work this morning (89% humidity), car runs smoother and no CEL.

13. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Techron works great on the fuel system and will clean off carbon on the intake valves and combustion chamber.
    It won't fix a P0420 :eek:

14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Intermittent CEL for P0420 usually means a failing downstream O2 sensor.

15. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    More urban myth and misinformation is more like it :eek:

16. gbru316

gbru316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I didn't use techron, you're mistaking me for the other poster with p0420. I cleaned the MAF sensor.

The cat could very well be on it's last legs, but a dirty MAF causing rich conditions could exacerbate the problem, could it not? I'm just trying to make it through this state inspection prior to replacing it.

17. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A dirty MAF will report skewed data, but if it was causing a rich condition to the point of converter damage the system would set a P0172 or the cat would be glowing red hot.
    It won't report a P0420 immediately. It will take at least 3 drive cycles before the system sets the DTC. Most of the monitors need to run and set before it fails it. This is why it appears to be random.

SFO likes this.
  18. gbru316

gbru316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's the thing, the CEL doesn't come on in the middle of a drive cycle. It comes on within a few seconds of turning the car on, usually when I'm pulling out. If it's not on by the time the car is warmed up, it doesn't come on.

Please don't think I'm trying to argue with you, I'm not. I'm no mechanic, but I have an engineering mind, analyzing situations is what I do. I understand that a cat replacement could very well be in the near future. I'm just trying to exhaust all other options, no pun intended :LOL:

ydpplqbd likes this.
  19. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a capable scan tool and look at the data. It's the only way to know what's taking place. To many interweb idea's always lead to wasted money replacing parts that aren't the problem. I see it everyday and it always cost more to try and save money by doing it that way. If you don't have or can't get access to the proper equipment, find a qualified shop to do the diagnostic work. It's always worth the money to know what's wrong. Don't pay for guesswork either. Shops they say things like we thing it could be, or we need to replace this first are just guessing and wasting your time and money. The dealers are really good at the dart game of automotive diagnostics :ROFLMAO:

20. gbru316

gbru316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've got an 0bd-II scanner, voltmeter, access to an oscilloscope, logic analyzers, you name it. I'm looking for a smoothed response from the second o2 when compared to the first 02, right?

If it comes back, I might check it out.