1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent problem starting

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by JeffMorasco, May 24, 2019.

1. JeffMorasco

JeffMorasco Junior Member

I have a 2015 PriusV with only 27,000 miles. It has suddenly stopped starting, and then after an indefinite period will start. The 12 volt battery seems fine and I have replaced the battery in the fob. The dealer has not seen this before and seems unable to figure it out. Has anyone else had this problem? Solution?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    By “stopped starting” do you mean that it will not initiate a start with the START button? Or it turns over but won’t run? Do you get any instrument panel indicators? Has anyone checked for retained diagnostic codes?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    "Seems fine" is not good enough. What exactly do you mean by that ? Has it been tested ??

A VERY high percentage of "won't start" problems are resolved with a new 12 V battery or by fixing a loose main battery connection.

Air_Boss likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the brake switch

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And if the dealer can't solve the problem, ask them to call in the zone level experts. They will consult with the tech on the phone and help diagnose the problem.

#5 mikefocke, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, check:

12 volt battery
    Brake switch (you need to be stepping on brake for engine to start, and that switch may be out of adjustment)
    Start Button (flakey?)

Probably in that order.

7. JeffMorasco

By not starting, I meant that the whole starting sequence was not happening. The dealer had the vehicle twice, checked the battery on both occasions and did a check of all the computers on the second occasion. The both fob batteries proved low, and so we replaced them. That was good for one start then nothing.
    It was completely dead this morning. I tried jumping it with the recommended procedure with no luck. It did jump start from AAA. I think that the battery must be the culprit. I am having it pulled, replaced, and stored in case it proves to be something else. I don't know why the intermittent problems. Its failure would be considerably different than a conventional car where the engine would try to turn over slower and slower. This was just variable degrees of dead intermittently with a variety of irrelevant messages on the screen.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which IS a very common symptom of a failing battery in a hybrid.
    Sometimes it is more "dead" than others.

A really LOT of places don't really know how to test a battery.
    It needs to be done two or three times in a row with a short rest in between.

AND......before you spend money on a battery, ALL of the main connections need to be checked, cleaned and tightened.

9. JeffMorasco

We tried all of the above, but eventually replaced the battery and it seems to be starting and running as per usual now. The intermittent part is news to me, but now it is old news. A new battery for the V is pricey by the way.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pricy for all pri