1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent Red Triangle when coasting - low oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LewLasher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Within the past week, my 2006 Prius (251,000 miles) started exhibiting a problem involving the Red Triangle.

The triangle would come on for a few seconds, and the video display would show the not-really-very-helpful message "Problem", but there was otherwise no perceptible change in the car's behavior. Upon closer examination, I noticed that the intermittent Red Triangle only happened when the car was coasting (and, therefore, when there was implicit regenerative braking). However, it was not easy to reproduce the problem just by coasting.

I read through some of the many threads in this forum about the Red Triangle. One thread suggested checking fluid levels. Although the car got a new radiator at 250,000 miles, the radiator fluid level was OK. However, the engine oil level was low. For all the excitement about getting the new radiator, the normally-scheduled oil change seemed not to have happened. I added a quart of oil, and then could not reproduce the Red Triangle behavior after that.

When I bring the Prius in for its forgotten-and-delayed oil change, I'm thinking of asking the mechanics to check the error codes.

Question: how long are the error codes stored? The Prius has gone over 100 miles since the last occurrence of the Red Triangle.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is probably the oil. you shouldn't wait for an oil change to top up, and now that you know it is burning oil, you should check it regularly, like every fill up.

codes will be stored unless the 12v is disconnected.

Mendel Leisk and johnjohnchu like this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. After adding a quart of oil, where is the oil level on the dipstick?
    2. A low engine oil situation is not going to result in a logged diagnostic trouble code. If you did not see any warning lights on besides the master warning red triangle, there will be no DTC to retrieve.

Mendel Leisk and johnjohnchu like this.
  4. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Unfortunately, I could not detect an oil level on the dipstick even after adding a quart.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning for the slightly-delayed oil change. I'll ask them to check for a trouble code. It's possible that there was some problem detected other than low oil, particularly since the light only came on at times when the engine was not running.

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You drive the car on which the oil wasn't showing up on the dipstick? That's no good. I would not drive the car until I saw oil at an appropriate level.

johnjohnchu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I predict that a replacement engine or car is in your near future if you continue to drive with an inadequate engine oil level.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just when I thought I'd heard everything, then something like this comes along.

You guys had better watch out. "Negative" comments like that can get you in trouble. :whistle:

8. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the exact same issue a few years ago. It is obvious that engine is burning a lot of oil. This is very common for Prius if oil level was not monitored and topped off on the very regular basis. The only true fix is to rebuild / replace the engine. Catalytic converter probably will also need to be replaced soon. Both repairs are expensive, but will fix the problem.

#8 johnjohnchu, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not negative comments, per se, that gets a poster in trouble, it is the attitude in which the information is delivered that is usually the issue. :whistle:

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So u add 1 qt, oil still doesn't show up on the dipstick, and you drive the car anyway? The warning indicator goes off after doing so, and you still dont add more oil and you continue driving it? Am I reading this correctly?

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My comment was meant as a joke.....mostly.
    It's REALLY hard to accurately judge "attitude" in a written statement.
    Some people don't seem to know what "constructive criticism" is these days.

12. Donitza

Donitza New Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So this was happening with my car. And it was the low oil. However the oil was really really low the engine oil was smoking and there was just a tiny bit of black oil at the bottom of the dipstick. I know my car is burning oil now. What can I expect, should I do and is there any way to fix this problem? What would happen if I had kept driving with no oil in the car?

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Expect that the engine oil will continue to drop.
    2. What to do: Keep the engine oil level full, which means the oil must reach (but not exceed) the second dimple on the dipstick. Measure engine oil level on the dipstick each time you refuel, after the engine has been turned off for five minutes. Keep a quart of 5W-30 engine oil in the car for your use in replenishing the engine oil level. The oil level must always be kept above the first dimple.
    3. How to fix: Replace the engine. For now, that would be overkill. See what the engine oil consumption rate is. When the consumption worsens to more than 1 quart per 1,000 miles, you should consider getting rid of the car or replacing the engine, as the catalytic converter will start to clog up with so much oil being burnt.

1. The engine would fail due to lack of lubrication. In extreme cases metal fatigue would cause a bearing to fail, metal to shear, and a hole might appear in the side of the engine.
    2. You would be stuck on the side of the road with your car, calling for a tow truck.

johnjohnchu, Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    1) You should have known that long ago.....IF you had been checking the oil regularly like you should.
    2) You were right on the verge of a total engine melt-down......and some additional damage probably was done beyond the "normal wear".
    3) You can expect......nobody knows. It might run for another couple of years or it might die tomorrow.

What can you do now:
    If you haven't already, you need to fill it up with oil, drive it a hundred miles or so and then change the oil.
    Using something like a 10W40 high mileage oil might help some.
    Have it inspected for obvious leaks......but don't hold your breath.

4) Start shopping for a newer car.

Did they really MAKE a Prius in 1998 ??

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Low oil in a 12-year-old car with lunar mileage is not to be unexpected.
    In fact....if you've been replacing the oil regularly and this is the first time that the flickering light of shame has occurred then I would suggest that your car is in pretty good shape - but remember!!!!

....An 80 year old human that is in very good shape requires a different level of maintenance than the same human when he or she was 20 years old.

You just paid for a radiator, and so here's what I would do:

1. Immediately buy a quart of oil (5W30) and keep it with you, and check your oil level every time you load fuel. Your oil was just changed according to your OP, so I presume that the level is pretty close to being topped off or something more catastrophic was discovered since you haven't been beck yet.
    2. If you get to the point of having to put a significant amount of oil into the car every time you stop for gas (like: 1/4 of the quart) then it's time to consider next steps.....either a heart transplant or hospice.
    3.Otherwise.....if you're not burning a significant amount of oil, then you can back the dipstick checks off to about once a month or every 3rd tank or so.

The Op lives in the Bay State.
    They use VETs in states like that for very different reasons than they do in fly-over country.

....this means that it's going to be a self-solving problem.