1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent Sluggish Acceleration/Bad MPG/Vibrating

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by basstyler155, Aug 5, 2020.

1. basstyler155

basstyler155 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2012 Prius C Two
    122k Miles

I hope everyone is having a great day! I'm absolutely stumped with a problem that my Prius C is displaying. I hoping the great minds of PriusChat.

Known Maintenance:

May 2017 - ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK Part#
    4853052M30
    May 2017 - SENSOR KIT, WEIGHT D Part#
    Jan. 2019 - 12v Battery Part# TO0054421181320

The Situation:
    I was driving on the highway for ~20 miles and turned on an exit ramp, no issues. About 1/4 mile off of the ramp, my car started shaking side to side to where I thought I blew a tire. I stopped, got out, and there was no tire damage, nor was my low pressure light on. The remainder of the drive to my location resulted in noticeable vibrations, less MPG, and less power. I let the car rest in my driveway for 1 week, and drove it again the next weekend. It performed normal and had expected MPG's.

6 weeks later, the issue arises again.

Symptoms:
    -No Check Engine Light.
    -Sluggish acceleration, via gasoline & electric motor.
    -Vibrations, or wobbling really, while accelerating and decelerating, via gasoline engine and electric motor.
    -Bad MPG's.
    -I can explain the acceleration as if it feels like something is holding it back. The engine will rev and get loud like it is working hard, however it is pushing the car at about 60% capability or power if I had to guess.

Thoughts:
    I've searched threads, and it seems the most common concern are the coil packs, however i'm not sure if they wouldn't just throw a code or not if they're bad. Also, the problem went away for over a month and then came back.

Thank you for you help.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    might be time to clean the egr circuit

3. basstyler155

basstyler155 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bisco,

That is interesting. I will try and find tutorials on how to do that for a Prius C and update you when I can. I apologize for the late response. I have been extremely busy at work.

Thank you.

bisco likes this.