1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent throttle/acceleration issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scottwg, Feb 13, 2016.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, how about at least pulling the spark plugs and inspecting them? Take some nice close up photos and post them if you like.

If they look bad, replace them and see if there is improvement. It will be a whole lot cheaper than replacing ECU's.

In regards to buying the correct spark plugs online, some genuine Toyota Parts suppliers have a presence on Amazon, so ensure you use them, or, use a Toyota dealer with an online parts department.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No codes no electronics issue.

Your throttle body is severely gunked up.

Its amazing how many posts we get with the G2 at 220K miles.

3. scottwg

scottwg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I spent a lot of time cleaning out the throttle body and mass flow sensor just for that reason. I thought for certain that was going to be the problem. When I did it, the mass flow was really dirty so I was hoping that was the possible problem. But when I cleaned the throttle body, it really was not all that bad. I got off everything I could see, but I never would have thought it was "gunked up". When I put it all back together, I was disappointed that that was not the problem. My first warning lights started to come on when my catalytic converter started to go. Thinking that could also be part of the problem, I replaced that hoping it would also make a difference. My new cat increased my fuel mileage a little, and all of my codes cleared, but it did nothing for the acceleration problem. I am finally getting around to putting in the plugs today. I started a new thread on cheap. I just pulled the plugs and they are super clean. They must not be that old. I re-gapped them and put them back.

#23 scottwg, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not good practice to regap used iridium plugs because the ground electrode may break off.

5. scottwg

scottwg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. Good to know. They were pretty much all in place anyway.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes, when cleaning the throttle body, people spray too much gunk in there.

7. scottwg

scottwg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I was really careful. I did not spray any inside at all. I sprayed it on the cloth I used.

bisco likes this.
  8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An anecdote:

I purchased a replacement HID bulb on Amazon (sold by amazon!) and the authenticity code on the box authenticated on the Phillips website. It lasted 6 months. To their credit, Phillips warrantied the bulb with only a small amount of haggling.

The (presumably fake) bulbs I bought on eBay for like $30 each have been going strong for near 2 years now.

I'm pretty sure you can get NGK plugs from advance auto.

Also: is it possible you damaged the MAF while cleaning it?

9. scottwg

scottwg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did the same thing. My bulb is still OK after a year and a half.