1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Internal Hatch Release Button Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Joshzen, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Joshzen

Joshzen New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I couldn’t find any info for the gen 4, so I trial and errored my way there. It’s a nice option to have, especially when you just spent the night sleeping in the back and you want to get out now.

2017 Prius 2 was the test subject here.

1. Pull off the rear hatch interior trim (a series of pins hold it on). There is a slot for a trim tool and after that I would pull firmly and with purpose.

2. Once removed locate the plug just to the left of the center in the top open section. (See red circle in photo)

3. Tap into the white and black striped as well as the red wire with similar gauge wires. Leave the grey one alone. At this point you can touch the free ends of the tapped wires together and if the car is unlocked, you should hear it actuate the latch release and be able to push the hatch open. (See green circle in photo)

4. Figure out where you are going to run the wires through and drill an appropriate sized hole for your button. I chose the small removable panel that gets you to the manual release. Leave plenty of slack for next time when you rip the trim off but forget there are wires connected. It’s nice to have it low and on the hatch itself so you can perhaps open it with a toe as well as push out at the same time to open that hatch. (Photo)

5. Mount your button and attach your wires. Tape, insulate, zip tie. Put everything back together and viola, never feel trapped in the back again.

Here is the button I used: Ulincos® Momentary Push Button

Any momentary button you like should work fine. There are covers available for various diameter buttons as well if you are concerned about accidental actuation. I keep my doors locked while driving, you can’t open the hatch on mine if the doors are locked anyway. If your smart key does allow you to open the hatch when locked (touch sensor) 1) these instructions might not be for you and 2) even if locked it’s possible if something hit the button just right it could open on you at a bad time. Think about a cover?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done, great write up, thanks!

3. Joshzen

Joshzen New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks I appreciate that. This is my first Prius, new owner as of a month ago and my first post here on Priuschat. I have some other projects I hope to post later on.

bisco likes this.
  4. jellyDonut

jellyDonut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    thank you for this. Its every rideshare driver's* dream. Now riders who aren't very bright can stop breaking-off the expensive liftgate trim trying to lift it before finding the release button above the license plate.

* driving a car without this feature from the factory

5. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The page updated, I had some dns hiccups last 48 hours but all should work as expected.