1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Internal leak in brake actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wes0, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Wes0

Wes0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Prius, around 190,000 miles

For a few weeks now I've heard the "buzzing" under the steering column get more and more frequent. Every once and awhile in the last week I heard some kind of alarm when starting up, but couldn't nail down what it was. Today I finally got the red BRAKE light, the yellow brake warning light, and the ABS light. I took it to the dealer who pulled the following codes (I pulled the descriptions from the repair manual):
    • C1241 - Low battery positive voltage or abnormally high battery positive voltage
    • C1256 - Accumulator low pressure malfunction
    • C1391 - Abnormal leak of ACC PRESS
    All the dealer said was that there was a leak inside the brake actuator and would cost $2718 to replace (he did not mention an issue with the battery). He said this problem would only affect the ABS, and that I still had brakes.

Has anyone dealt with these codes before? I just wanted to get the community's opinion on this before I pull the trigger on such a large bill.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

When was the 12v battery last replaced ?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One possibility would be for you to buy a used actuator for $300 or so. The dealer probably won't install it but if you have independent servicers in your area who service Toyota hybrids, maybe you could get that work done.