1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

internet connected kill-a-watt?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Diemaster, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    right now im charging my prime via 120v while shopping/waiting for a level 2 EVSE. im using a kill-a-watt to determined my cost to charge the prime. 0 to 100% is ~$1.07 so far.

im wondering if there is a smart, internet connected, kill-a-watt-type product that automatically gets the rate based on your location for example, and can graph, report, and forecast cost. maybe a dongle using your smartphone. something like that.

even better if theirs a 240V version.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    personally, I wouldn't bother, if i were you - and we refill kWh's equal to over 10X the range of your ride. That said, maybe consider one of the PC sponsors - Chargepoint. iirc, their EVSE (as well as others) is web capable ... where it'll show the amount of kWh's delivered.
    It's not perfectly precise, because there is loss converting from 240 AC, to DC storage - then back to AC when the car's inverter delivers it to the motor. Even so, it's not as lossy as charging on 120V.
    Obviously they are not designed to throw rates into the calculation, because many utility company's rates change based on the amount of juice used per month, sometimes 3, 4, even 5 different tiered rates + time of use, & even seasonal differences.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. rsl360

rsl360 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well, there are certainly devices that will do that for your whole house. I have a TED5000 in my house, and the car is on it's own circuit. So by putting a current sensor on that circuit, I am able to track exactly what the car is consuming. And since I can graph it, I can see when it's charging, and when it's probably doing other stuff, like heating the battery or running the AC. However, this is not nearly as simple as what you are looking for.

It's possible that this might do what you want:

there is a lot of stuff out there, but I did not see wifi enabled kill-a-watt. Seems like a good idea though.

PriusPrime4849 likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    nice!
    had we not just got a ebay $300 price for the Tesla 80amp wall charger, we"d be all over that ... did it sell yet? I may know someone @ work that's interested

6. PriusPrime4849

PriusPrime4849 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The JuicePlug is an adapter that works with any EVSE, and there are Level 2 chargers with the same feature (known as JuiceNet) built in. The idea behind it is not only to monitor energy consumption but to optimize the interactions between electric vehicles and the power grid; see JuiceNet for a description.

#6 PriusPrime4849, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018