1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Internet Poll: Prius vs Jetta

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I'll comment on why I like Prius:
    1. An incredibly sophisticated drivetrain for a vehicle whose MSRP starts at $22K. There's an amazing interaction between the gasoline engine and the two electric motors, orchestrated by the hybrid vehicle ECU.
    2. I'm not sure whether your Prius vehicle had the Smart Entry / Smart Start system or not. One of your videos made fun of the Prius fob and the procedure required to start the car. The Smart system is a highly useful and practical feature. The fob can remain in your pocket (or purse, as the case may be) at all times and the car can be started without any delay, just depress the brake pedal and press the POWER button. All cars should have such systems installed. I suspect that German cars that are popularly priced lack this system because German vehicle electronics are not known for achieving world-class quality levels.
    3. Prius has many ECUs that work together harmoniously. Some of them include: engine, hybrid vehicle, traction battery, power steering, transmission control, skid control, immobilization, smart, body, combination meter, etc.
    4. The hatchback body style makes Prius a very practical family vehicle
    5. Energy displays encourage fuel-efficient driving
    6. World-class build quality, this is not easy to achieve considering #1 and #3 above.
    7. Highest rated mpg for a gasoline-powered automobile
    I've owned two VWs, an 1976 Dasher (my first new car upon completion of graduate school) and an 1999 New Beetle GLS. Vehicle handling in both cases was quite good. Drivetrains were noisy. Unfortunately, the build quality of both vehicles was less than world-class. This prior experience doesn't move me to seriously consider another VW for purchase.

If VW wants to target Prius owners to consider owning a Jetta TDI, I suggest that it should offer some incentive to encourage those owners to take a test drive. For example, from time to time I receive mailers offering a $50 Target gift card (or some other similarly valued incentive) to show up at a local dealer and take a test drive. A couple of times I've been offered a test drive vehicle to be kept overnight.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those particular stations must be aberrations. Per AAA Fuel Gauge Report, right now, in the Seattle-Bellevue-Everett area, the avg. price of regular unleaded is 2.211 vs. 2.385 for diesel. Per AAA Fuel Gauge Report, nationally, it's $2.009 for unleaded vs. 2.202 for diesel. If you look, the diesel premium's been there yesterday, a week ago, a month ago and a year ago.

That 09 Prius price sounds HORRIBLE. On February 26th, I received an email from my dealer (Toyota Sunnyvale) openly advertising:
    2009 Toyota Prius
    Package 2
    MSRP: $24,469
    Factory Rebate: $1,000
    Toyota Sunnyvale Discount: $1,581
    Toyota Sunnyvale's Very Best Price: $21,888

I guess you didn't look too hard in your own area. A quick search at http://nwautos.nwsource.com/autos/search/results.php?cond[n]=1;makes[0]=Toyota;models[0]=Prius;curSort=price+desc;total=53;page=3 turned up an advertised at Magic Toyota in Edmonds for $23,383. The cheapest 09 Jetta TDI I found was at http://nwautos.nwsource.com/autos/search/results.php?cond[n]=1;makes[0]=Volkswagen;models[0]=Jetta;curSort=price+desc;total=101;page=3 for $23,429.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'd noticed that posts over on your site were often answered with silence. Look at the volume by postings and content and it was so heavily weighted on one side, the 'Greenhuman' side with no appreciable feedback on earlier postings. Seriously, at one point I'd considered posting the Pink Floyd question,"Is anybody out there?"

The best place to ask a question of "WHY you like the Prius better" is probably in a place with Prius owners. Understand that many of us had to make purchasing decisions a long time before the 2010 Jetta TDI became available. So we have to use the 'way back' machine and look at our choices back then.

The other thing to realize is having bought a vehicle, many of us don't change vehicles rapidly:
    Cars That Don't Quit Mean a Lot to Investors, by Jennifer Openshaw | wowOwow

My Prius replaced a 1991 Camry lost in an accident in 2005. At the time, the $15-20k choice was between a Scion xB and a used, 2003 Prius. There was less than a $900 price difference and the Prius won on lower, recurring costs.

I was hoping you might have made an mph vs MPG chart so we could compare highway performance.
    As I pointed out, postings over in your web site were effectively ignored. No doubt, you've noticed we're not so shy here.

Bob Wilson

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bullpucky. Seattlegasprices.com (a branch of gasbuddy) lists gas as $1.96 at Covington Costco.

Your Fred Meyer, selling diesel at $2.05, sells gas at .... $2.04!

The AVERAGE Seattle gas price for 3/26 is $2.21, less than your claimed LOWEST. My local Costco ($2.05) and Safeway ($2.19), neither low price leaders for their chains, also have gas for lower than your claimed "lowest". Diesel at Safeway is $0.20 higher than gas, Costco doesn't sell diesel.

-- Dean, Seattle area resident.
    =========
    PS. Seattlegasprices (a subsidiary of gasbuddy) lists only one diesel price of $2.05. The second-lowest price is $2.17, with many stations at or near to this price. There are over 100 listings of gas at $2.16 or lower.

Therefore the $2.05 diesel is an abberation, and fairly likely to be a contributor error.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More unadulterated bullpucky. On Edmunds.com, EVERY Toyota dealer listed within 50 miles of Seattle offers Priuses below that, half of them offer prices far below that.

Edmunds TMV today, for Seattle's zip code --
    Prius, starting at $21,667 (after $500 rebate)
    Jetta TDI, starting at $22,970 (no rebate available).

-- Dean, Seattle area resident.

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Greenhuman, Credibility is extremely important in any argument or when challenging a mainstay proven product like the prius.
    Even if it hurts, its important you keep facts within reason to the point that they can't be shot down in a moment.

There are always unknown variables to any purchase, without that credibility and trust customers won't walk away from a trusted product.

In other words, the challenge product has to be above and beyond in quality and or price to compete with a trusted proven product.

Its true, thats why its so hard to produce a new product sometimes unless you have a mindblower. Thats also the reason so many good products turn into monopolies.

I think there is enough untapped technology out there that it shouldn't be hard to produce a mindblower..... like I said once before, I really don't think that will happen with diesel.... Diesels are loud and stinky... or at least thats the reputation they have earned so far.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would like to expand your point to include problems with other news sources:

• Boston Globe - published a report claiming the Prius cost ~$27k as if it were very much more expensive than some other vehicle. Yet the Toyota MSRP is $22k and when challenged, they cited "Edmunds" as their source. Edmunds had given them a well equipped 'touring' Prius price verus the MSRP of the comparison car. Yet the Boston Globe would not even call or contact local dealers to get equivalent configured quotes.
    • Prius prices vary by fuel costs - had we been in August 2008, the Prius prices could easily have included significant dealer markups because they were getting them. But now, the 2010 model is coming out and the residual 2009 inventory needs to be moved off the lots. This is the problem of using "current prices" because events having nothing to do with vehicle manufacturing cost and profit can have a terrific impact on retail price.
    • Consumer Reports 2006 - tried to do a hybrid premium, payback but made a simple arithmetic error ... and was innundated by reader corrections. Math errors happen but in this case, the error was anti-Prius.
    In terms of vehicle cost, my thinking is:

1. Start with MSRP for both vehicles, the basic vehicles
    2. List the standard elements for each vehicle under that MSRP
    3. Identify each element that has to be added to the other to match and incremental price
    4. List the unmatch options (not everyone will have everything) and list the adjusted prices
    This takes a bit more work and my recommendation is to work with local dealers, one from Toyota and one from VW, to work up competitive quotes. Make it clear this is for cost comparison and you are interested in the "list" prices.

Now I'm OK with using EPA test numbers but if we did that no one would have had to drive 7-9,000 miles nor Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car and Driver and a host of automotive writers would not have to report their individual mileage. All these private reports are doing is showing how inadequate any of the government standard tests are for predicting actual vehicle performance. In contrast, I favor more directed tests that give us vehicle performance characteristic curves.

As for highway mileage, I'm thinking we need at least a 1 hour run on a flat road in no wind conditions in the 60-70F range at these speeds:

• 30 mph
    • 40 mph
    • 50 mph
    • 60 mph
    • 70 mph
    • 80 mph(*)
    For city driving, the challenge is how to handle acceleration and regenerative characteristics. My thinking is for a reproducible test is to measure the mileage for a series of say 20-30:

• maximum acceleration to 20 mph
    • maximum brake to stop
    • turnaround at 5 mph
    Finally, we need a time to ICE warm up and fuel consumption. Starting with the engine at 0C (requires refrigeration for the engine compartment,) start the engine and driving at a steady speed of 25 mph and measure the time to when the vehicle coolant reaches a steady engine temperature.

This would give three sets of graphs:

• highway mph vs MPG - useful for trip planning
    • city start and stop worst case - dealing with 'parking lot' expressways
    • cold weather delay to usable - how long it takes to get out of the warm-up cost. Note this matches the 30 mph highway band, linking the two charts and data points.
    But this is probably more detail than someone who just finished 7,000 miles of driving was expecting to read. It does match my understanding of what is needed IF we are going to ignore the standard government test data.

Bob Wilson

8. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Volkswagen's TDI engine have a bad reputation of broken turbos at roughly 60.000 miles. I can post you an article but it's in Italian.

Or I can post you a link of someone that changes his turbo, in guarantee, three times. He's desperate and is selling his TDI. You want it? You can have it. :)

Live in a city foll of diesel cars and you too will think they smell. They do smell, smell at your and you will notice the difference Vs the Prius.

As for the noise...
    This is the data for the VW
    This is the data for the Prius

As you can see, apart that the Prius is cleanER, is that the tractor makes twice as much noise than the quietER Prius.

We chose the best, why degrade? :D

9. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a design feature to protect blind pedestrians ;)

10. GreenHuman

GreenHuman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Great follow up guys. I got my comparison prices from the exact same website within 10 seconds of each other. I did the same with the vehicle prices on cars.com asked the question the exact same way and I did note they were dealer asking prices, not negotiated prices. I think the point stands that the two vehicles are priced "about the same" and the two types of fuels cost "about the same" not withstanding daily fluctuations and special deals. The follow up here seems to support that. Fair?

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats fair, but ones an apple and ones an orange... which do you prefer for your money will be the magic question only the market will answer.

Just knowing human nature, we hate to try new things unless there is little to lose.... especially if we are happy with what we have.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    10 seconds is irrelevant, as there were plenty of lower gas prices at the time. I suspect that you may have quoted the bottom 'yellow' price, not the top 'green price, on this page, which would completely misrepresent Seattle's gas price situation: Seattle Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Washington

But this afternoon I did personally verify that the $2.05 diesel price at that Everett Fred Meyer is accurate. And saw no other diesel prices coming even close to it.

One other station had diesel and 87-gas at the same price ($2.39). All others had diesel priced 'similar' to midgrade gas.

I did enough Prius window shopping around Seattle last month to personally know that your quoted Prius price was a farce. For my desired 2009 package if buying now (neither the cheapest nor most expensive), none of the 5 dealerships visited had an asking price anywhere near that high.

Nice backpedaling.

I'm looking both at a hybrid to replace an ancient Honda, and a diesel to replace a less old Subaru. The leader for the first slot is a 3G Prius, and is likely to be acquired this spring. I'll look at the Jetta TDI SportWagen for the other slot, but that choice can be held off several years waiting for Subaru to bring its diesels ashore. I wish you had spent more of your time talking up the TDI, and less time bashing Prius. The hypermilers on cleanmpg had talked up the TDI quite well, despite handily beating its cross-country fuel economy with a Civic Hybrid. Your series only detracted from that.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,

Starting with the base vehicles and matching the operator pedals:

$1,370 ~ +6% higher TDI automatic

My wife has arthritic knees and insists on an automatic transmission. So the least expensive Jetta TDI is already, according to the manufacturer's web site, $1,370 more expensive.

Rear spoiler, least expensive:

• $329 - add to Jetta
    • $0 - standard on Prius
    So we're looking at:

• $23,699 - Jetta TDI with matching automatic transmission and rear spoiler
    • $22,000 - Prius with standard automatic transmission and rear spoiler
    $1,699 - 8% more expensive

Did I miss something? Understand frugal means only those elements that are key to the vehicles operating and handling. I was on the fence about the air dam because the 2009, NHW20 Prius has underbody panels. IMHO, the air dam, another $1,600 compensates for the standard under body panels.

Bob Wilson

14. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. What about maintenance?

Insurance?

Taxes?

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How much will it cost do maintenance after 3 years / 30k miles? What if I run on bio-Diesel? Will the "carefree" maintenance still be honored?

16. GreenHuman

GreenHuman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    @Bob. Using the links you provided, the base 09 Prius is $22,720 and the base 09 TDI is $22,270. What you did in your analysis was to add an automatic transmission AS AN OPTION that added over $1,100 to the TDI.

I agree with your earlier comment that to be truly fair, you would have to create a side by side menu that had similar features. The problem with that is that manufacturers will "package" these features so that the sum of the parts is less than the whole so even doing it that way is going to cause some inequality. Hey, floor mats, a security system, a refrigerated glove box to keep my energy drink cold and actual 115 volt outlet that I can plug a laptop into might be important to one person, an automatic transmission might be important to someone else, THAT'S WHY THEY ARE OPTIONS.

So, based on the sites YOU selected and using the BASE lowest cost model, I stand by the statement that the cars are comparably priced.

Thanks for comments as to why you like the Prius. I doubt I'm going to find anyone in the room that doesn't like their Prius but if there is one thing you could change about it, what would it be?

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope, see my earlier post.

Diesel FAQs - Energy Information Administration also mentions that "Since September 2004, diesel prices have been higher than regular gasoline prices almost continuously". You can see the raw historical data at http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_w.htm.

Personally, I had not really been paying any attention to diesel prices until maybe 2 years ago (esp. since I don't own and never have owned a diesel vehicle) but since I started actively looking, I've ALWAYS seen diesel higher.

When we were in the $4/gallon range for regular in the SF Bay Area (when gas prices were at the peak), I ALWAYS saw diesel costing even more than premium unleaded. You can see some reflection of that in the year ago price at AAA Fuel Gauge Report ($3.665 for regular, $3.955 for premium, $4.211 for diesel). It's also relected in the highest average recorded price:
    Regular Unl. $4.588 6/25/2008
    Dsl. $5.147 7/17/2008

18. GreenHuman

GreenHuman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    oh and here's the link to the gas site I used, this link pulls up a tab you can toggle between the differnt fuels. Seattle Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Washington

At this moment diesel is .06 higher than regular but it was different yesterday or whenever I posted. So I also stand by my statement that the prices are "close" we got here because one of the big "objections" cited in an earlier post was the "high price of diesel". .06 seems in the range of "close" to me, that is subjective and again it's predicted to go the other here over the next few months and actually be lower that gas, but that hasn't happened yet. Just don't want anyone to think that I am trying to pick and choose, I want to maintain an honest conversation and truly appreciate the time you've taken to post comments, good and bad. I wish all this was over at the greenhuman site, I think people visiting there would appreciate it too, at least I hope they would. If you're all okay with it, I'll export some of this over there and you can comment there too if you like.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i can tell you that

get a plugin version:)

and a 2 seater would be nice. ( with better MPG;s of course )

20. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    You said fair is fair?
    The prius IS automatic, I bought it because it IS automatic. To be fair, it has to be compared with an AUTOMATIC Jetta.

And I was told that in USA automatic transmissions are more popular.

Bigger batteries. :)