1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Internet Purchase Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Keri, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Keri

Keri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have been a member here since July of last year, and was reading PC long before that. We have finally decided we are going to purchase a Prius. YIPEEE! I got online and sent out emails to a few dealership's internet managers. No response. From Shreveport to Dallas. What gives? Today I finally got a response from my local Toyota dealership. He said they do not really do internet sales and if I could come by he could "see what he could do for me". I know that there have been several internet Prius buys here and am wondering what I did wrong. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I live in Texarkana, Tx and am willing to drive to pick up a car, I just really want to do most of it online as I really dislike car dealerships.

2. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Try going through Capital One Auto Buying, Cosctco, Yahoo Autos, etc, some dealerships only do internet business going through brokers like these, and you still get very good prices:

Capital One Auto Buying | Homepage

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Keri,

Although I had a very satisfying Internet buying experience in Dec '07, its a
    wholly different buying environment out there right now; really high demand,
    dealers probably taking minimal stock to prepare for the new model in 2009.

All I can offer is to broaden the area you will consider driving to. In this day
    and age, and the Internet, I find it hard to conceive how a dealership could
    stay in business and not do Internet sales.

Good luck

FWIW, my Internet buying saga at:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-...s-purchasing-qdyssey.html?highlight=crapulous

4. Cliff Archie

Cliff Archie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    -----------------------------------
    if you belong to AAA they offer a new car buying service...all you do is tell them what you want and they will find it for you and deliver it to your door....most of the time they will be able to beat any price you can personally get from dealers because they purchase cars in volume....if AAA does the search for you and finds you a car but you decide not to get that cat AAA will charge you $25 for the search fee...

5. evaale

evaale New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. I have just (and I mean JUST) made a deal on an 08 with packg 6 for 25,995. I tried all the things others recommended, including AAA and Costco and neither were worth it, their "special" pricing was only $250 off MSRP. I ended up watching EBAY for several weeks, found a nice dealer in Columbus Ohio who offered his Prius with package 6 for 25,995. Since I live in upstate NY this was a very long drive for me (9 hours) so I decided to send an email to every dealer in NY (ok, not every, but the ones in the bigger cities, with a concentration in the NYC area) and was able to find several who would match this price. I also recieved a few somewhat snotty responses from dealers who tried to talk me out of making a deal via email, and one who "promised" me that when I see the purchase agreement their would be "all kinds of added fees". He was partially right-dealer charged an additional 350 for prep, dmv, tire charge, inspection, etc, but overall I think it was still a better deal than if I bought locally. (Which after one brief visit to the dealer I ruled out completely!) Sadly I am in a 8.75% tax rate so I am still paying just over 28K for the car but with an 80 mile commute daily I hope Ill recoup my loss. My advice is to pick a dealer anywhere in the country who is offering good pricing, and use them as leverage against a more local one. You could always have it shipped if you save enough it'll still be cheaper. My price was $1880 lower than the locals would do!

6. JEFNLSA

JEFNLSA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :confused: I did the internet/fleet thing here in Phx a month ago and my phone rang within 2 minutes. Set up an appt for that Saturday, told them exactly what I was after...they had the exact Prius I wanted waiting there for me and I paid $500 under invoice.

7. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can telephone and ask for the internet sales department too. You don't have to do it by email.

8. Keri

Keri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone for such great info and insight. I know I can always count on my PC friends to help! I did get an email back from Toyota of Dallas today that stated they have a Barcelona Red Touring Pkg. 6 on the lot. I will try and paste the email here and if you guys don't mind I would like your opinion. I left the guy a voice mail with my cell and if he calls me back what should I say? I will be honest, I have never bought a car before. It has always been my husband who has "done the deal". This time it is up to me and I will take all the help I can get. Thanks, Keri

Hello Ken,

My name is Ben Hopkins, Fleet Manager here at Toyota of Dallas. Dale Callen, Internet Director gave me your name so I could contact with and provide pricing information regarding a Toyota Prius Touring w/ pkg 6.

2008 Toyota PriusMSRPModel - 1226 HYBRID GAS/ELECBase:$24,085.00Exterior Color - 03R3 RED M. M.Installed Options:$4,374.00Interior Color - LD41 FA41Total:$28,459.00

Your price for one like this is 27598 + TTL

Selected Options and PackagesCodeDescriptionCodeDescriptionFE50 State EmissionsTVTouring PackageNRPackage #6 Touring Includes: Leather-*** -Port Installed- (TD)-Trimmed Seats and Steering Wheel;CFCarpet Mat Set-Voice-Activated DVD GPS Navigation-Carpet Floor Mats-System; JBL AM/FM 6-Disc CD Changer with-Trunk Mat-9 Speakers, Aux Audio Input Miniplug,-MP3/WMA Playback Capability, Satellite -Radio Capability, and Hands-Free Phone-Capability via Bluetooth; Vehicle-Stability Control;Backup Camera; Smart-Key System; Anti-Theft System;-Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with HomeLink

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

thanks again,
    Ben

Ben Hopkins
    Fleet Manager
    Toyota of Dallas
    972 241 6655 ext 1112
    or 1 800 442 4349
    [email protected]

9. Keri

Keri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can see that some things got scrunched in the copy/paste. Sorry. He is saying $27598+TTL out the door, I think. Maybe he'll call. Thanks, Keri

10. AMG

AMG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    there are rooms for negotiation for sure, I am not sure the demand is like in your area.

but many of us have gotten it with touring #6 in the low to mid 25k + TTL here in CA

the price he quoted you is about 2k more than what I paid

11. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You shouldn't have to "think," ie be uncertain, you should know. Get it in
    writing. That's lot of money, and you have the right to know, and to say
    "No," if it comes to that.

If you really want that car, ask the dealer to fax you a completed and signed
    sales agreement. Go over it with a fine tothed comb and a magnifying glass.
    The first one I got made no sense. Them: "Oh, don't worry, we'll fill that in
    when you get here." Me: " Unless the form is completely filled in, I wont be
    getting there." I got a complete form, but it was like pulling teeth. Keep
    going back and resolve any question or uncertainty. My file of pre-purchase
    correspondence is 1/8 inch thick.

Remember, you aren't committed until you sign something. Don't sign/initial
    anything until you know and are satisfied. (Which is not to say you
    are completely happy with the final price.)

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Keri,

You doing all the right things but if I may suggest you can do more. One quote for such a large dollar value item is not enough. Get 3 quotes minimum. You can broaden your search by going to the Toyota national web-site and put in the area(s) you want to search for a dealer. Next go to the dealer's web-site and see if they have an on-line inventory; also lot of dealer's have an Internet Sales Dept. Get an on-line quote even if the price is posted. The more you can expand the geographic area of your search the more competition you'll create. It's best to find a cluster of dealerships with a good selection of the model you desire - this will create some competition for your business.

Don't settle with one quote especially since that price seems high to some of us. A year ago I bought a package 5 for $24.5 K, but prices do fluctuate by geography and over time as supply / demand varies.

Good luck, be patient maybe waiting longer will get you a better deal.

13. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Keri, although NR is the code for a Touring 6, he notes the leather is port installed. This sounds like it really is a 5 with aftermarket leather. Port installed leather is not the same as factory leather. The mats are accessories. You should be able to buy them cheaper from the Parts Dept after the sale or on line either from a dealer or aftermarket. Get itemized quotes. What is his perception of TTL? Ask your DMV what taxes & fees are collected. I'll bet you'll find that the dealer has inflated those figures in the hope that the buyer is ignorant. CH Toyota tried inflating the state's title fee on me. A Buick dealer tried pulling it on my friend until I called him on it. Personally the above quote isn't passing the smell test. Shop more and use the spreadsheet on CarBuyingTips.com new car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying.

15. Keri

Keri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You guys are great. As a car buying newbie I am a little overwhelmed, but I feel so much more informed and able to make a sound decision with all of your help.
    Spoke to Bob at Dallas Toyota a little while ago and he stated that By looking at the inventory in our region I would likely have to order touring pkg 6. It looks like the one he was quoting me was sold before it ever hit the ground.
    I have written down the phone numbers for Concord and Walnut Creek Toyota. I will call both places tomorrow and we shall see. At least a CA dealership will not expect me to drop by, since I am in TX. I will keep you guys updated as this unfolds. All comments and suggestions appreciated and duly noted! Thanks, Keri

16. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One question to consider is, Just what do you expect an "Internet Sale" to do
    for you? If I were pressed hard, I would have to admit that when I started
    my search for my dream car at Toyota dealers armed with data from the
    Internet, I was an arrogant bastard with unrealistic expectations. I though
    that the Internet had given me a club to beat the dealers into submission.
    Not even close.

The internet gives the buyer the opportunity the collect information that in
    turn you can use in having a near-equal chance in negotiating a price that
    both parties consider acceptable. Its a poker game, pure and simple. The
    dealer's wild card is they have what you say you want. Your wild card is you
    have what the dealer wants, your money. The sales people play this game
    every day; think about it.

Your ultimate weapon is to walk out. The dealer's ultimate weapon is by the
    use of subterfuge, smoke and mirrors, bluff and bluster, etc to get you to
    pay for things you don't want, or that have really high profit margins. Your
    protection is to have read enough to know what's going on, and know your
    limits to go only just so far and no farther. Period.

(Here's a trick that drives sales people crazy: never sit down, never. This
    way you can walk out any minute without even a fair-thee-well. They will
    beg you too be seated. Politely decline the offer; "I have a bad back," "I sit
    down all day at work." Politely decline -- as opposed to refuse --all food and
    drink other than water.)

It is best to remember that you are never really "in charge." But you can be
    extremely well informed. Options; average prices in your area; the
    existance of an identical car across town, across the state, or farther. I
    found the internet to be tool of great potential. But it's more a scalpel than a
    cutlass. Once I really understood this I could do my homework and make my
    best offer.

First, nail the price down. Do not discuss financing or trade-in until the price
    is locked, and in writing. The sales person has their manager on the phone
    in the next room. Even things up; take a friend with you, don't hesitate to
    'take a break' and go outside for some fresh air. Park out front so it looks
    like you might just drive off. (On the Internet, wait a day to respond, get
    more info, work the numbers. Here is where using the Internet is really
    powerful.)

After you buy, there will always be nagging doubts; Could I have done
    better, $1000 less, a free cargo net?

Forget it. Drive the car, enjoy the car. In a small way, it really is the first
    day of a new life, or at least a new lifestyle.

17. Keri

Keri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I must be your polar opposite. My main reason for wanting to do this over the internet/phone is because I get so intimidated when at a dealership. I have this overwhelming feeling that they are doing me a favor. I become a spineless noob. Only upside is that at least I see this in myself. Even when my husband uses his GM supplier rate to buy a car, I feel this way. And that is a fixed, no haggle, $100 over dealer invoice price. I am not like this in any other aspect of my life. Go figure. Wow, I feel better. You just saved me a few hundred bucks in therapy visits. :D
    Seriously though, those are some great tips for visiting a dealer!
    Thanks,
    Keri

18. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you tried edmunds.com? It's a great place to start.

19. Cliff Archie

Cliff Archie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    --------------------------------------------
    for what's it worth, i got a 2008 touring model a couple months ago for $27,000 'out the door' cost at a dealer in Rock Hill, SC which included 'lifetime tires' for as long as i own the car....the car i got had leather added at the port in Jacksonville, FL...i read one reply to this post that stated port leather was not the same as factory leather but i don't really understand why if this is in fact true....i would think the leather added at the port is just a swap of the cloth seats with leather seats....i doubt very seriously the seats are actually taken to an uphoulstry shop to have leather skins added...i would think the port has a supply of factory leather seats and arm rest and simply makes a swap out....the results should be identical...