1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interview of Hummer better than Prius guy

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by NoMoShocks, May 16, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 17 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]444535[/snapback]</div>
    But isn't it true Toyota does not have the same profit margin on hybrids as they do on "conventional" cars? So part of that cost would then be essentially subsidized by Toyota. One could look at it as a marketing technique instead of a loss. I know some furniture stores and stereo shops will bring in an item and sell it at an extreme discount just to get people in the store and/or to boost sales and store image. Remember that Wal-Mart spent $740 million or so on their advertising budget in 2004? Sometimes numbers seem big to us but are acceptable to such large corporations. The last I heard form Toyota was that they think by 2010 they can have the same profit margin on hybrids as their gas-only cars due to reduce manufacturing costs.

Donee, thank you for the info. I do not agree with the Dust to Dust report but I can see where they are trying to get numbers from. I feel it is faulty nonetheless. I was aware of the Prius and Yaris engine being the same but not some of the other parts. Thanks again. :)

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bill, thanks for posting the link. I thought I set my DVR, but I must not have. I think the news article did a pretty good job of making the guy look like a fool. Considering the cost of the energy as a factor, how far people drive to work, nickel mines that were an environmental disaster long before Prius are actually improving now.

Give me a break!

The Hummer is good for 250 K les because truck technology is stable and never improves.

The Prius is penalized at 109 K miles because they will make a better hybrid and then it will be obsolete.

With that way of thinking, all non hybrid cars including the Hummer need to be scrapped imediately regarless of their acumulated miles becuase hybrid technology is an advancement, so all other cars and trucks (non-hybrids) are obsolete.

If I assume the Toyota will last for 250 K miles with reasonable repairs, and even though it becomes obsolete, I keep it as a second car, or someone else takes it over, then the cost per mile would go down.

$2.87 per mile * 109/250 = $1.25 per mile.

3. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 17 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]444652[/snapback]</div>

yeah, but wal-mart expects people to buy many things at once. I doubt toyota expects customers to buy 3 or 4 cars at the same time. They basicly get advertisement as being a "green" company, which helps with selling cars in general. Plus, they still are making a profit, just not as big as say on a regular camry.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of the aspects of Spinella's report that was missed by this program is the fact that buy his calculations the energy ratio of construction and operation is backwards when compared to pretty much every other study done on the subject. Toyota, MIT, etc all come to the conclusion that the balance is 15%/85% (ie. 15% of lifetime energy consumption comes from building the car and its components and 85% is used in the operation of the car). Spinella's report has it the other way around. Now that's an important point that the segment should have covered because that's a big discrepancy. One side or the other is wrong. Since Spinella doesn't disclose his sources it's impossible to review the reports and determine where the mistakes are. That should have been addressed more clearly in the segment. They hinted at it, but the lay person won't grock the significance of it.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 17 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]444406[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. If you want to see his nonsensical numbers, look the stuff I attached long ago to http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...mp;#entry272611. The content of http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/ has changed since then.

Now he's even got more BS and MORE misinformation as to why he claims the Prius is only good for 100K miles

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interview questions for Mr Spinella:

- you mean after 109,000 miles, the treehugger is going to let his Prius rust in the back yard instead of selling it?

- ...you mentioned batteries make the Prius a lot less green...explain how NiHM is more toxic than lead-acid batteries that have been in use for a century?.....Also explain your high praise for the Chevy Volt hybrid concept car (see http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16503845/ ) To go 40 miles on a battery pack considerably larger than a Prius, why isn't the Volt in your crosshairs?

7. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Has anyone emailed Mr. Spinella this picture?
    [​IMG]

(I got it from this thread)

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 19 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]445933[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect he would address you as Sen McCain did Sen Coryln and use the F-bomb.

Not blind speculation: in a reply to a GreenHybrid member, Spinella made a flaming response, attacking the inquirer's character, grammer, and ended by stating he would block his email.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 17 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]444240[/snapback]</div>
    SPIN - ella
    Come on, you gotta find humor in this poor hucksers choice of carears. :p
    The only thing more nutty then Mr. Spin's toilet paper report, it that Lutz of GM is scrambling to save GM by threatening to build the VOLT plug in hybrid. Talk about having your cake & eating it too. Lutz ought to build MORE hummers . . . stack 'em deep and sell 'em cheep! Oh, wait, they're not selling? Lutz need to have Mr. Spin write him another 'report' :lol:

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ May 19 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]445951[/snapback]</div>
    The owner of the Prius (Jesse) w/the pictured odometer is now up to 285K miles per http://john1701a.com/prius/owners/jesse3.htm.

11. Brian04

Brian04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 17 2007, 03:02 AM) [snapback]444008[/snapback]</div>

The only truth I saw in that video was the initial comment of the Anchor on the report - "It's heavy"!

12. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 16 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]443611[/snapback]</div>
    Just saw a lead in for it to air on Boise's Channel 2 news for tomorrow (May 21) night. They must have borrowed it from KATU. Idaho's always a bit slower to the gate, but the good ol' boys are more than happy to jump on any anti-environmental bandwagon. Can't send a video link because Channel 2 only posts the transcript. Let you know if they take a different tack.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like intelligent design like pseudo science. Any guess who he voted for in the 2004 presidential election?

14. danatt

danatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Someone should calculate how much energy was wasted generating the report.

15. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danatt @ May 21 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]447041[/snapback]</div>
    They didn't show the report in Boise tonight. All the air time was taken up with a story about a shooting spree (what an appalling term) in Moscow, ID. Maybe tomorrow.