1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introducing the 2016 Chevy Volt (2.0)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by F8L, Jan 12, 2015.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed although with shorter adults it's not a big deal. At 6'3" my seat goes too far back to be of use to anyone except a small child. With my girlfriend up front (5'3") there is a huge amount of space in the back seat in which even I can sit comfortably behind her. So I guess it just depends on the owner's size.

austingreen likes this.
  2. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My biggest disappointment is not introducing a 6.6 kW charger. Sure, home overnight charging doesn't make much of a difference, but if you are driving more than 50 miles a day, or using public/workplace charging stations, that faster charging sure is nice (and it allows double the cars to use the same station over the course of a day assuming drivers move their cars when charging finishes).

cwerdna, Jeff N and F8L like this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Most definitely. For most average height men though in the drivers seat, it is still way cramped leg room wise in the rear and Chevy could have added more than .6" to rear seat legroom to make a noticeable difference.

4. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I bought into the rumors that there would be a car very much like they announced plus one that was maybe $2,500 cheaper with half of the battery capacity and EV HP -- basically similar to the Ford Energi or the new Hyundai Sonata PHEV.

I'm not sure why they didn't do that but perhaps they saw too much competition in that space and wanted to keep the Volt nameplate branding "pure" as a full power EV vs. a weaker EV mode.

They seem focussed now on putting out a relatively inexpensive 200-mile EV as those go. There's a real market for a car like that and GM has chosen to go after the "affordable" market in that space where Toyota does not seem to be competing (yet).

As you know, I don't believe every big car company has to produce every variation of car. What's important to me is that there are some competition in each of the different vehicle segments by different companies.

In any case, I called the new Volt as being 42 mpg combined and 50 miles EV range at 3600 pounds. It came in as 41 mpg combined (estimated) and 50 miles EV range at 3540 pounds. So, let me try my hand at guessing the MSRP....

I'll say the new base MSRP is $1,000 less than the 2015 model whatever that makes it -- I'm too lazy to look up the exact number right now.

F8L likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does the rear console flip up for third passenger leg room?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wrong question:
    How much is the comfy cover for the foot-stool console?

Does it come with an activated charcoal cover for the front passengers if there are feet in between?

Bob Wilson

bisco and F8L like this.
  7. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Love to see a photo of the 5th seat but can't find one. It sounds horribly uncomfortable if you still need to semi straddle the battery pack and cup holders!

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You pretty much do. I wouldn't mind sitting their if there were hot models on either side of me. Especially if they want to use the cup holders for their drinks....

[​IMG]

retired4999, cwerdna, Emcguy and 2 others like this.
  9. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pricing and marketing need to be pitched to the general public now that gen2 is out. It will be interesting how GM steps up to the plate and pushes this newest generation.

DBCassidy

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Me and a gentleman from California hashed this out in the rumors thread.

The current Volt came up short in announced GM targets; mainly EV range, CS fuel economy, and price. The 2nd gen addresses them. Fuel economy is now over 40mpg combined. EV range improved to 50 miles; IIRC the target was 40. They also addressed the big criticisms of premium fuel and no fifth seat with the new model.

We don't yet know the area of price, but a 6.6 kW charger would increase it, not reduce it. Since most people charge at home, and majority them use just the level 1 charger, a bigger charger would gain GM little while making lowering the price a little harder. For those that due use public charging, a fastest charger would be nice, but it is still early, and nothing excludes it as an option for the car.
    Then why didn't you buy into the rumors of a Cruze PHV with 20 miles EV.:)
    I think GM didn't go the PHV blended route for the same reason many would have been disappointed if they did, it would be abandoning the Volt concept. That doesn't mean they can't or won't do so with a current or new model at a later date. I think they might have to in order to get a more family oriented PHV to market. We see with the Volt and those others that the battery space needs still eats into the car's packaging.

As to price, I'm a little more optimistic. They cut $5000 from the current one in the last year. It's down to around $35k for the base, which meets the under $30k with credits target, but I think GM is still feeling ill pressure over the original $40k, and some early blather claimed a $10k reduction for the new one before the $5k happened. I'll say $2000.
    Oomph, that looks worse than the middle rear seat of a friends '70s era Camero. But then again, rear cup holders weren't a thing back then. If placed on the transmission hump like that, the Camero would likely look just as bad, but with shallower floors. The Volt does have two more doors, and likely more padding in the middle.

F8L likes this.
  11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those aren't cup holders! ;)

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've been frustrated that hybrid sales peaked at ~3% and flattened out. Since September 2012 it has been headed south. Worse, there are credible surveys showing nearly half of all buyers are already biased against hybrids and plug-ins. Then add the current low oil (and coal to follow?) prices, we looking at effects that threaten the future of efficient cars. The real enemy are sales of inefficient, ordinary cars.

I never cared for VW trying to 'capture' Prius sales with the Jetta TDI when the real goal should always be buyers of inefficient cars. It didn't help that some of the VW claims were overly optimistic.

One technique I've thought about is shifting the charge target SOC, 60%, based upon engine warm-up cycle. When the engine is too cool to be efficient, the traction battery target charge should be ~50%. Once the car reaches hybrid operating range, the target can gradually rise when the car is at a constant speed to say 65-70%. At speeds over 30 mph, SOC target should be 65% and under 30 mph, 70%. This peak charges the traction battery to provide cold-start energy to off-load the engine. In effect deferred charging done automatically.

Bob Wilson

13. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The next time around GM can presumably use the new "200-mile" battery cells to design a 3rd gen Volt that takes up less interior space.

14. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Is that a factory or a dealer option?

F8L likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 3rd Gen Prius lost a few inches of rear legroom on paper and that didn't stop anyone from buying it. It was mentioned in a few reviews but not many members, if at all, lamented the lost of legroom.

As for performance increase? The reduction of weight does a lot of things ;) all else being equal.

F8L likes this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's called a red herring, since the size is still bigger. People have been wanting an increase from compact to midsize. Knowing larger would have increased appeal, why wasn't it delivered? Balance of priorities is what has always helped Prius.

Notice there still isn't a rear wiper? That too is a factor which could increase appeal.

#56 john1701a, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look nice all around, only 2 issues so far.
    1. Wonder why they went with mechanical shifter. In the Prius, when I reach my destination, hit the "OFF" button and it shifts itself into Park!,
    2. The Very bright high gloss grill covering, has anyone seen it at the show,

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ditto. UGH! They should've made it at least optional. Heck, even the Accord PHEV has 6.6 kW OBC. The BMW i3 (both REx and BEV versions in the US) have 7.4 err... 7.2 kW OBCs. Most BEVs (except GM) currently sold as new have at least 6 kW OBCs standard or optional.

I charge my '13 Leaf at work on 208 volt 30 amp-capable L2 EVSEs and it usually pulls ~5.7 to 6.0 kW. When I start sessions for Volts (and watch them on the Chargepoint site) on the same stations, they pull ~3.1 kW. Until my Leaf starts tapering and doing its bounces at the end (only if I charge to 100%), I am charging roughly double the speed of those Volts. Allowing for more rapid turnover and being able to achieve a significant or full charge even if I plug in late (say 4 or 5 pm) is great. I almost always intentionally leave the stations open for others who leave earlier than me.

I also sometimes charge at public L2 30 amp stations and it's great to be able to pickup juice 2x the speed of say the Volt and other 3.x kW vehicles.

PriusC_Commuter and F8L like this.
  19. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The Volt is not a BEV though. Faster charge time does not buy owner convenience, merely less gas. For the vast majority of people, the gas saving would be minimum especially given the new 50 miles EV range. Even if GM built super chargers, nobody would stop every 50 miles to save on gas.

Trollbait and fotomoto like this.
  20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well the UK experience of the massive selling Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV might contradict what you've just said. The UK Outlander PHEV has a Chademo fast charger, which seems strange at first, yet a cursory glance at the UK BEV forums shows lots of whinging from Leaf owners that fast chargers are getting hogged by Outlanders.

People want convenience, even a PHEV owner. Because of the smaller size of PHEV batteries, such a fast charge takes 15-20 minutes. Enough time for a coffee.