1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introducing the 2016 Chevy Volt (2.0)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by F8L, Jan 12, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or tea, more likely.;)

Tideland Prius and F8L like this.
  2. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    A 15-20 minutes charge using a 6.6kw charger (2kwh) can only last 5 miles, which is about 25-50 cents of gas. Really not worth the trouble for most people unless it's a scheduled stop.

The Chademo charger is a DC charger though, so it might be able to do 120kw, which is a different story. The industry really needs to come up with a standardized DC charger for all EVs.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The real problem I see with the 3.3kWh (or 3.6kWh on the 2016) is the cost to charge will be higher than other cars with a faster charger when using a fee-based station. As more and more stations begin charging by the hour, the cost to charge will be double what it would cost if the car came equipped with a 6.6kWh or faster charger.

E.g. I pay $0.50/hr to charge at work. It takes about 4hrs to charge from empty so $2 a day * 5 days * 4 weeks * 12 months = $480. If I had a 6.6kWh charger I would pay $240/yr. Of course this is hypothetical and now I only need to charge for 1.5-2hrs a day but you get the point.

On the other hand, fee-based charging coupled with slow chargers will likely keep Volts and PIPs from hogging up stations. lol

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2016 Chevrolet Volt - Q & A With Volt Engineers
    I think they did a great job with the interior and range improvements.

We know the prius takes a hit in the cold and this beast is likely to take a bigger 29% hit. If the 50 mile range is real epa, then its likely we really are at 55 in good weather ( my guestimate based on current generation).
    Electric vs. Gasoline Showdown: Vehicle Range in Cold Weather | FleetCarma
    That makes it 39 miles even at 0 degrees F (-18 C). Enough for 75% of american drivers to drive gas free even in cold weather on most days. That should give it a leg up on sub 100 mile bevs. Ofcourse americans do take multiple over 100 mile trips. Here the first 50 are electric, the rest are probably around 40 mpg. Dropping 0-60 time to 8.3 sec should help it feel fast enough, although a power blended mode would have been nice (but .might have offended CARB).

Exterior, bleh, but compared to the mirai, leaf, i3 I think it looks great. I don't understand why designers are making the exteriors look like this. The tesla S, i8, porsche 918 are great looking, but these start way higher than the volt.

This is a 2+2 hatch, with a bench that can take a child seat. The best selling car is a 4 door sedan, so form alone with keep sales from zooming to high levels. That will wait for an improved fussion energi, tesla 3, or whatever other companies can produce.

Still good job GM. If they Price it at $33,000 and actually hit those numbers and these should sell well with the tax credits. Ofcourse pricing or actual numbers could be disappointing.

F8L likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually like it A LOT more in red. Black looks nice too. I think it's the blue color that makes me think, meh.

img_8874.jpg 10925461_10204854111889781_1321693786126127424_o-1.jpg

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This can be avoided by blended EV powered, warm-up of the gas engine:
    Our 1.5L, 03 Prius takes ~5 minutes to reach hybrid-mode temperature. If the plug-in (and future hybrids) use a blended mode where maximum use of EV is used while the engine warms up at the lowest possible fuel consumption rate, it would be a game changer. No, I haven't tested this, yet, but my data suggests this is the case.

Personally I would like to see the target SOC go to 50% on a cold-start. Then as the engine reaches more efficient operating regions, the SOC would increase to the nominal 60%. Then when the speed after a turn drops to under 30 mph, have the SOC target rise to 65-70% to gather charge needed for the next cold-start. The idea is to have, best case, 70-50 ~= 30% charge available on the next cold-start to run the car while the engine warms up.

Bob Wilson

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It can but it ruins the EV experience and that is the one thing that the Volt definitely has over all of the other PHEVs. However, at very low temperatures the car will force ERDTT (Engine Running Due to Temperature). The ICE will fire up regardless of battery charge and use engine heat to more efficiently heat the cabin. Volt owners HATE this feature and would rather bundle up and keep the ICE off. This is especially true for those with a short commute who can spare the extra battery power to heat the cabin. For example, a fellow was complaining on Facebook about how his engine would fire up on his 3.8 mile commute so his super short trip ends at 40mpg. In my mind that is unacceptable. He should have the choice of defeating ERDTT and using extra range to heat the cabin rather than be forced into using gas.

Volt 2.0 will have more adjustments for temperature but it will still have ERDTT.

austingreen likes this.
  8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely this should work on a blended mode phev running more efficiently with the ice on in the cold. Hopefully it will be adopted in the 2017 prius phv design.

The volt though is trying to act as a bev though, and the hit comes from less efficient battery in the cold (either battery is too cold or in the case of the volt power is used to warm the battery) but also from the extra power for the heat and increased air resistance (drag increases because cold air is more dense). The best things you can do is liquid conditioned pack that the volt has, and heat pump for hvac which the leaf and tesla S have but the volt uses resistance. It was likely less expensive to add more battery than to add a heat pump to the volt ;-) I think its great that they added enough battery to over come the cold penalty. That extra battery helps even if it is not cold, so a good engineering solution.

I think ERDTT is a feature not a bug. It is more efficient to burn a little gas to heat the car and battery when it is very cold. There should be driver control though, where the driver, can over ride this. It is bad news that chevy didn't give the driver an over ride.

F8L likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummmm, something the Leaf handles without a problem. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

F8L likes this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heat pumps are pretty awesome. Unfortunately they come with packaging issues. The BMW i3 has a heat pump and it's awesome. The i3 REx doesn't have a heat pump (packaging issues) and it's not awesome. lol

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what kind of cold are we talking about? i can keep my pip off down to 14 degrees according to the manual, athough there are a few situations that will trigger the ice above that temp.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is the 15deg ballpark. I never focused on it much because it rarely gets below 30deg here.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, that's not too bad, unless your living in john1701 territory, frostbite falls.:p

F8L and retired4999 like this.
  14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While the new Volt looks good as an incremental improvement on last year's model, it still has a number of strikes against it in my opinion. First of all, there's no direct coupling of the engine to the drive-train. The engine is basically a generating plant to charge the battery. Despite GM's numbers, there's no way to avoid conversion losses that directly impact fuel economy. The battery has been improved, but there's no getting away from the 3-way triangle of power-density vs. longevity vs. cost. It also impacts directly on the interior space of the car.

Although the Volt promises to be all things to all people, it still occupies a fairly small niche in the market. For someone who drives less than 50 miles to work, where they can get free charging, it makes sense. For someone who wants to save money on long trips, not so much; a lot of energy is wasted charging the battery along the way. For someone who stays fairly close to home, a Leaf might be a better choice, (however I maintain that a bike might be an even better one).

Personally, I think the Prius is actually the best of all worlds. No better combination of fuel economy, ride comfort, interior space and reliability can be found on the market today. With the Gen 4 Prius just around the corner, the last thing I'd consider right now is buying the new Volt.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The ice can act as a pure generator, or be attached in a similar way as the prius. The car is heavier and less aerodynamic than the prius, that is where the big efficiency hit is now. It is 16% heavier with 8% higher drag and higher rolling resistance tires. Chevy claims it will now close the hybrid mode efficiency gap with a combined 22% less efficient - most of that coming at city driving with those bigger tires and higher weight. At sub $3 gas, and probably 70% of miles electric and most gas miles highway, that is not bad. It should only use about 37% the gas as a prius a big improvement over the current generation volt.

The 2+2 + child area on bench is the result of battery packaging. The prius is a better form factor, the camry, fusion, accord even more desired. That definitely hurts sales, and gm needs to move voltec to other cars. A phev cute ute (cr-v, escape, rav4 sell 900,000 a year) might sell well.

90% of the us popultion drives less than 25 miles to work. Most because of time, weather, safety can't bike to work. A leaf falls further behind for american needs with this improvement. Never fear, in 2 years Nissan expects a bigger battery to be able to go on longer trips that current owners use a different car for.

I hope the next generation prius is a good improvement. gen II volt will not sell nearly the units of the prius, but Toyota may bleed owners to the volt, leaf, i3, tesla 3 if they don't get a better plug-in out there. I think the peak for the American peak for prius liftback was in 2007, and I doubt we will hit that level again. Gen III voltec should be able to work in a wider variety of vehicles, and battery costs and size are falling.
    Toyota Prius Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

#75 austingreen, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  16. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Apparently, there's a law somewhere saying that ERDTT is mandatory for cars with a gasoline engine. Then again, I am not sure how Volt would perform in -20C temperature with the engine comes on first.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably would perform like a geo metro, and the driver would likely need to drive in a jacket, but why not let them do that ;-)

I definitely think having ice heat in the cold is an advantage not disadvantage, but the driver should be able to turn it off.

18. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I drive a Prius C, but the numbers are increasingly not in Prius's favour. A 2015 Prius would only win for trips over 300 miles (50 MPG for both) and the Volt has better drive characteristics. According to GM, the vast majority of people have a two way commute of less than 40 miles, my commute is certain within that range. The Prius is a great machine, but I worry that Toyota is missing the EV train.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the volt was the same size as the prius, i would be in one. i don't think there are any other real negatives unless you regularly drive well over 50 miles.

austingreen likes this.
  20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does the Volt..
    • use an Atkinson-cycle engine?
    • use an exhaust heat recovery system?
    • use an electric air-conditioner pump?
    • have a drag ratio less than 0.25?