1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intrument Cluster Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ig_ron, Apr 9, 2006.

1. ig_ron

ig_ron New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The glare from the instrument cluster light becomes rather noticeable when it 's very dark outside. The green glare is noticeable on the windshield and becomes a bit distracting. I tried lowering the light through the control dial, but that only dimmed the lights in the middle multi-info display. My regular night time commute is through well lighted freeways and streets, so I didn't notice this before. But last night, I drove through a lengthy dark stretch of the freeway. And I guess, the moment I noticed the glare, I found it hard to ignore.

Is there another way to dim the lights or to cover that area in some way and prevent the glare?

Thanks.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The dimmer also dims the speedo display, but perhaps it wasn't enough for you.

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you are referring to the indicators for headlights being on (lightbulb), A/C Auto, Recirculate, etc., they can be adjusted by the dealer with the scan tool (at least on the '04 and '05).

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ig_ron @ Apr 9 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]237216[/snapback]</div>
    Dim the lights? How to make them brighter! Oh well each to his or her own.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Someone suggested getting a piece of black felt and putting it on the dash along the opening (on the side closest to the driver), which would cut down the opening size and should cut off the glare. You'd use a bit of double-sided tape to do that.

Edit: I have a dash cover and put a thin piece of wood (painted black) under it along the edge. Works like a charm! :)

6. Bill P

Bill P New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 9 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]237330[/snapback]</div>

7. ig_ron

ig_ron New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the suggestions! No other way than a "patch" it seems, so I'll try that this weekend. It doesn't seem like there's a vent there, so hopefully it's ok to cover. A black piece of felt, hmmm... <looks around>

Thanks again.