1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intuitiveness of compass

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dslomer64, Jun 12, 2017.

1. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was ready to post about how UNintuitive the 2017 IV compass was, pointing out that NObody riding shotgun could say for sure if the direction was the (wrong) one at the fat end of the "needle(???)", which captures attention, or the opposite (correct) direction that you could possibly convince yourself the "needle" actually is sort of pointing, but not in the same way a real compass does. BUT...

Today the compass is very different. It's not a circle, more pear-shaped. And it doesn't have every direction letter, just the car's actual direction and one more compass sub-point on either side. Same "needle" but absolutely foolproof in interpretation.

Great! But...

How did this happen?

P.S. I did not select compass today, instead having my usual choice. It just showed up on its own, more or less saying, "Check THIS out!".

Gen 2 (2006) and Gen 4 (2017)

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Thought control, you must have the mind reading option turned on :)

RCO and DonDNH like this.
  3. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you touch the compass icon on the Nav Screen, it cycles through the various modes -- not only on the Nav Screen but also up on the top MID display to the right of your speedometer (if so selected).

I like the "N" at top if I am going down the Highway for hours at a time-- It helps give the big picture, I think. Remember, the compass up top works the same way on the Nav Screen.

Otherwise I like the compass to be pointing in my direction of travel. If it is a oval, then the Nav Screen gives the "3D-ish" perspective. If it is Circle without the "N" you get the overhead perspective on the Nav Screen.

I think :)

RCO, dslomer64 and lcastro like this.
  4. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, oval, not pear-shaped. Well, I wasn't driving when I posted.

So I must've hit compass on NAV screen. Don't recall that... Or anything else recent... like Dory.

I now see the oval compass in the option icon list. I guess that explains why I can't find my favorite screen that shows battery, driving score, two arcs showing whether recharging or in EV mode or discharging.

So to get that screen back just cycle through compass options on NAV screen?

Criminey, I want BOTH oval compass AND screen just described...

'LectroFuel likes this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    you sound lost :LOL:

6. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, I'm worse than lost. I found both but not after embarrassing myself several times in a mere two posts

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, just disorientated! :ROFLMAO:

kithmo likes this.