1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inventory is getting tight

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jayselle, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mlg779

mlg779 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bought My brand new 2010 Prius, Gen III, package II in December for 21900$.
    I knew that was my last chance because I listen on the radio to Alex Jones and since one year ago he was saying( or his sources) that dollar is devaluing fast and also gas prices will go to at least 200$ a barrel that translates at least 5$ a gallon.

After I bought my Prius I told to the guy from the dealership that if he does not have a Prius to buy one, but he was smiling, I think he thought that I was crazy. I don't think that he is smiling now. I also told all my friends and relatives the same thing but everybody just listens to CNN, Fox News, NBC etc. and they were laughing at me.

This is just one thing that you can do to try staying afloat from what is coming.

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bernanke and co. supposedly don't want to cause a 2nd Great Depression as the Fed did back in the 20th century. In their haste, they seemingly fail to remember the other extreme (Europe around the same time) and what too much liquidity can do to a currency. Audit and potentially end the FED, someone!

3. Shervon

Shervon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's a great price for V with ATP. I paid 26,000 for mine with 47,000 miles on it.

4. Tom G.

Tom G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was told by my salesman that the decision was made to make what they could sell in Japan to saves jobs for the Japanese.

Interesting atitude, isn't it?

But I would assume they are planning to gear up ASAP.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recall it was the recession in 2008 that motivated Japan to not bother with producing in the US. It may have been the right choice at the time; foreseeing the impact of a huge Tsunami is difficult.
    Nice price, I've seen ones with 20k miles going for more than that now.
    That's sick. And not sick like a really good move done on a skate board :(
    He's interesting, but also chronically hysterical. Gotta take his stuff with a grain of salt.

6. exbrit

exbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just left a dealership in Fort Wayne, Indiana and the dealer whose name includes the name of the city, just tried to rip me for almost $3500 over MSRP for a Prius 4 that isn’t even in stock. When I refused the deal they came back and offered full MSRP but advised that I would have to buy the “care package for another $2000 dollars. What made this whole deal even worse, is that we had established a deal over the phone before I drove in, On arrival they jacked the price as noted above!

I left the dealership and immediately contacted Toyota corporate. Corporate headquarters were very unhappy to lean of what had transpired.
    They requested the salesman’s name, the Sales Managers name and all the other details. They provided a case number and promised follow up calls to review the incident. They took this call very seriously, as it reflects on them as a corporation, the dealer is their agent.

The corporate people asked if they could have another dealer contact me with the intent of providing the vehicle at MSRP. I accepted their offer and hopefully will own a Prius 4 sometime in the next few months.

If you run in to this situation immediately contact Toyota at 800 331 4331. They want to know!
    It isn’t the Toyota folks jacking the price, its unscrupulous dealers like this they don’t need.

Have a great day and keep your cool
    :)

7. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got my three on 04-24-11. Large midwest dealer had none on lot 6 inbound all sold prior to arrival.

8. Shervon

Shervon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I paid $1500 over private party KBB price. I thought it was a fair price since I had searched for 2 months to find a V with ATP. :confused:

9. azbabs

azbabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got a Prius IV (no package) today, and had a very hard time finding any thing over a II in the whole Phenix valley. There were 2 of us going for the same car, but I already had a set price before I got there, so had my paperwork done first. :) They are getting only 3 more in that they know of and they are all II's. It was $33,000 out the door. That included window tinting, alarm, and paint protection.

The dealer near me had 0 new on Friday, another had 7 saturday, but sold 5 the same day (2 II's left), I got the last model over a II at a dealer 45 miles away.

I really wanted a III with Nav, but none to be had. I had to have a car within the next month since i am giving my camry to my daughter when she comes home in June. She will be taking the camry back to school in Oregon. After going to a dealer with none, knew I had to jump fast on anything I could find.

So far I just love it.

Barbara

10. Shervon

Shervon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats!

11. TWP

TWP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got mine last week, still trying to figure out some function and buttons..

12. exbrit

exbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WEll a nice surprise from Toyota today, I had called and told them about my experience with the one dealer in Fort Wayne. They have worked with the other Fort Wayne Dealer and came back with a nice offer on the Prius 4 I wanted. regular price with no premiums and they will have the vehicle to me in 7 weeks.
    So I am glad to be able to give a thumbs up to Toyoto and a big thumbs down to the one dealer that was really trying to make hay!
    So as ai said, if you find a dealer trying to rip you off, and you can afford to wait, as I could, You can still get the car you want with a little bit of a wait.
    Exbrit;)

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a concept - a 'fully mainstream' car that has gone into wait list status, again. Yes, I know, the e'quake/tsunami. If Prius had competition, there would be no waiting.

14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :confused:

So it is ok for an american company to want to keep jobs in america, but it is wrong for a Japanese company to want to keep jobs in Japan?

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any heartburn with that.
    There's no such thing as a "Made in the USA" car (or motorcycle) anymore. My Harley even has a bunch of non-SAE components.

Besides....I LOOOOVE to watch my union hacks flop and twitch every time they see the "0-percent domestic content" sticker that used to be on my company car's side window (now stuck to my filing cabinet...:) )

In the end..the best way to make US companies competitive, is to make them hungry. Besides....at the rate that the US dollar is being devalued....US cars will be the cheapest on the block pretty soon!
    :D

16. carpedal

carpedal Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Over on the Volt message board, a 2-3 month wait is still common. On top of that, MSRP plus up to $5000 over is a recurring theme. Leaf buyers are in a similar waiting situation.

17. Shervon

Shervon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Aint that the truth

18. handlebar

handlebar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My local dealer offered to buy mine at original sticker price, and I didn't pay sticker. Heck, the first time that I have ever felt like I got a deal on something. I could make money selling it, but then I would have to buy one that is more expensive. I'm keeping this one!

19. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uh huh .... tell him you'll take that deal and watch him back-peddle .... no dealer in their right mind would do that. I'll drive down there tommorrow and sell him mine for full sticker, and it's only got 5K on it.

REV

20. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't forget the sales tax you paid when you bought the car. Figure that into the equation.