1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Assembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kevgrn114, Aug 27, 2009.

1. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Has anyone actually changed an inverter assembly themselves? It looks like it would just be electrical connections and water pump hoses... Simple right???:confused:

I have an 01 prius that I have had since new. Its been great... I have a 2010 on order but its probably 2 months out as I ordered it with EVERY possible option.
    Monday my prius acted up and went into turtle mode. I ook it to the shop and they said it was the inverter and that it would be $4050 to repair. and worth $3900 as a trade in after the repair. OUCH!!!!:eek:

I can get a used inverter off ebay and keep the car driveable until mine comes in, provided the installation is do-able...

Or I can clear the error codes, drive it to Carmax, and cross my fingers that I can get a decent amount for it to apply to the new one....

Talk about bad timing......

2. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well I stopped on the wayhome and got a Haynes Prius manual. The inverter replacement doesnt look too hard. Hardest part might be finding the drain plug for the inverter coolant.
    Gotta get some insulating gloves, but other than that I think I might give it a go. :cheer2:

Anyone think its a bad idea???

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a good idea to replace the inverter yourself with a salvage unit. I suggest that you invest $15 in techinfo.toyota.com and download the relevant repair manual pages for the job, rather than rely upon the Haynes manual.

You don't necessarily need insulated gloves if you are careful to follow the other safety precautions stated in the Toyota repair docs and use a voltmeter to confirm that all high voltage terminals are at 0 volts before starting work. (I think that latex gloves are sufficient for this purpose.) However it doesn't hurt to invest in those gloves if you aren't comfortable dealing with high voltages.

The hardest part about the job, besides refraining from zapping yourself, will be getting air out of the inverter coolant loop. Note and follow the procedures in the Toyota repair docs.

Also, pay attention when you are removing the orange safety interlock at the traction battery and ensure that you reinstall it exactly the same way as it was before you removed it.

A replacement drain plug washer will cost ~$2 or less at your local Toyota dealer. It is just an aluminum washer.

NolesFan78 likes this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It may be that the electrical coolant pump for the inverter has failed. If you can't test it, suggest you just give Toyota about $150 for the new pump.

Sometimes, in fact, only the pump goes and the inverter enters a high temperature limited operating mode, rather than poaching itself. Are we sure that this is not the case?

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Agreed with everything Patrick said, also what were the codes that the old inverter gave if you know them? Also miles on the car, and let us know how the repair goes. About the drain plug, since your going to trade/sell it anyway, it would be easier (but not as thorough) to just disconnect the lines at the inverter, just drain that part, and not do a total flush, your call. I've had the cover off of my 04 inverter and the connections were obvious, looks simple to change out if you have the right info i.e. safety guidelines in dealing with the high voltage.

6. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Agree with tochatihu dealerships are known to make mistakes , maybe it was a slow day, and someone needed to fill a quota. Is your inverter pump running? In my limited experience, codes from an overheated inverter are not reliable.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick's advice above should be read until followed. I have the bentley manual. It has a nice chapter on electrical safety, but has nary a peep about changing out the inverter.

I like the advice to invest in a new pump. It is a known weak point, so even if it is not the sole problem a good repair should replace it.

8. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks all for the advise. I did forget to add that about 6 months or so ago the water pump for the inverter did go out. I had it replaced and all seemed well until this happened.
    I'm assuming that the overheating damage was already done from that and it just degraded further from there as I drove it in the Texas heat.

I suppose they could have hooked up the hoses backwards or something but I do tend to trust this particular dealership, (first one EVER!)

Of course it could be because I had just stopped in to test drive the new Camaro that day just out of curiousity and middle aged crisisness... (Hybrid Sacrilege:)) .

I will be sure to let you all know how the process goes..

9. TreffEdwards

TreffEdwards Hybrid Family

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I actually had the SAME problem with my inveter water pump, I drove my Prius for 3 days with it out because I couldn't get it into the shop right away. I had it replaced and then ended up I had already done the damage to the inverter and just had to have it replaced a few days ago. :( My fault for driving it in this Texas heat...

10. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    ok, I got an inverter off ebay for $200 best offer bid.
    I should be able to change it out next weekend.
    Until then, I'm motorcycle bound, which isnt all bad, it gets 55mpg and can go in the HOV lanes. Just as long as it doesn't rain.:D

11. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [quote=kevgrn114;949179]ok, I got an inverter off ebay for $200 best offer bid.

Great. I found a web site with at least partial removal of the inverter with good photo's. Hobbit was accessing the top plug (which I did not know of) for the transaxle which lies underneath the inverter.

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/maint50k/

12. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

Great Info! Thanks for the link. My inverter arrives today, it feels like Christmas. :) The Haynes Manual is actually pretty good about describing the removal and installation of the inverter. That along with your link should get me through...

13. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

Ok, so the haynes book doesnt really tell you how to get to the torques head screws that are up under the firewall area on the 2001, so I got a subscription to the techinfo site and it has even less info than haynes does as far as inverter removal.

Does anyone have pics or anything from an actual 2001-2003? the Gen 2 seems to be have the inverter all open and accessible compared to the gen 1.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to first remove the cowl that runs along the back of the engine compartment. This involves removing the windshield wiper arms, then removing the two screws that can be found on both ends of the cowl. Then you can remove the black rubber weatherstripping that runs along the cowl, be careful not to damage the plastic pins or the adhesive tape on the weatherstripping as that can be reused.

Then you can remove the two-piece black plastic cowl cover. After that is removed you will see the wiper motor assembly held on with five bolts. Remove that assembly.

Unbolt the relay box mounted to the center of the cowl and set aside. Then you can remove the sheet metal cowl tray held on with several bolts.

At this point the inverter will be exposed and you should have plenty of access to remove it.

15. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

WOW! ok, great information. Lots to undo.. Still better than paying $4000 though. :) Thanks!!

I'll keep you all posted..

16. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    About 2 hours and teh inverter has been replaced and the car starts up and gets no error codes on teh scanner. :rockon::cheer2:I lost a bit more coolant than I wanted to so I'm going to run to toyota and get some. then I'll take it for a test drive.

I have some pics that I will post later, not real detailed but with the information in theis thread I think most anyone could change it..

I'll get back to you guys after the test drive....

17. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well crap.... I went out and started the car again and it crapped out with a P3125 error code. Which seems to be the inverter again... What next???:(:mad:

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Measure voltage across the 12V battery when the car is READY. It should be ~13.8V. If much lower, then the inverter is not working.

Is the inverter coolant reservoir full?

Do you see fluid turbulence in the reservoir?

Does the front of the reservoir have a higher fluid level compared to the back?

Do you hear air bubbling around when you make the car IG-ON (not READY) and listen to the pump near the driver's side headlamp?

What assurance do you have that the replacement inverter is good?

19. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well, I have no assurance onthe new inverter. Got it off ebay and never did get an answer when I asked what teh demise of teh car was that it came from. The car acts worse that it did with my old on in it. I could at least still drive it with my old one. It wont staty started long enough with the ready light to check voltage at the 12V battery. I can hear teh water pump working and see teh fluid move through, I had just had it replaced not to long ago so it better be working. :)
    I have my 2010 on order and really need to get some kind of value out of the old one for a trade. I guess my next step is to put the old inverter back in and take it to carmax to get what I can for it...

This makes me a little nervous that this one part can ruin the car value and all. We have a Highlander hybrid and I'm about to get another prius. I hear that the inverter should not go bad very easily but there are a lot of people experiencing this. I wonder if I should get a regular ICE car just so I know I can afford to keep it running?

20. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well, got the old inverter put back in, the car is back the way it was. I can clear the errors codes and drive it around the block and such with no troubles. So this Saturday I'm gonna take it to carmax and get what I can get for it. Then I will continue to be carless until my 2010 comes in...
    Anybody got a V winter gray metallic with Tech package and every option yuou can posibly get yet? It's taking SOOO long... :)