1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Assembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kevgrn114, Aug 27, 2009.

1. kevgrn114

kevgrn114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Final Fate of the Prius.

I put the old inverter back in and drove it up to Carmax for appraisal. I didn't get any more error codes and it made it through the process.
    A 2001 base model prius with 139k miles on it. in ok condition. I got $2000 for it. COuldn't really haggle or anything so we took it.
    Now I am just waiting for the new one.... still......

2. Barry CLEMENTS

Barry CLEMENTS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

3. Barry CLEMENTS

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

First, i want to thank you, Patrick, and the other Prius gurus who have taught me so much about my hybrid gem.

So a few questions about invertors. I think mine might be fried after a 2ell meaning brother in law reversed poles when jump starting dead 12v in a Gen 2 with a measly 149K miles. Fusible link is replaced as well as a few other blown fuses. Got a P2118 code which disappeared as soon as a new 12v battery was installed. Now I still get 6-10 seconds of engine churning before the stutter and stall. I checked the voltage across the new 12v terminals at Ready Mode and get about 8.7 volts. Is this always traced back to the bad inverter? Could this be a lame traction battery? Would a dead/dying traction battery give off any codes? The only codes I am currently pulling are 3190 and 3191. I don't have an old laptop that would enable me to utilize the Mini code reader.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With 8.7V across the new 12V battery terminals when the Prius is READY, either the DC/DC converter in the inverter had failed, or else the 100A DC/DC fusible link has blown. If you have replaced the fusible link and if the wiring to the inverter is good - then I would say you have to come to the conclusion that the inverter needs to be replaced.

Barry CLEMENTS likes this.
  5. Barry CLEMENTS

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick. That is what I thought. I hope there is nothing else lurking there as well. Time to source a refurb inverter.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. Barry CLEMENTS

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. I found one for $240 including shipping with a 6 month guarantee. Just a few clarifying questions concerning the HV battery, please. Would a dead traction battery give a low voltage across battery terminals? As long as the engine is turning over for that 6-12 seconds, can I assume my traction battery is still functioning? How do I test the traction battery without an HV charger? Would I receive any codes on the OBD if the traction battery is bad? I want to be sure that isn't the problem before I shell the $500+ for an invertor install. Thanks for all your help Patrick.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A traction battery can have several issues. For example, a battery module could have an electrolyte leak, causing a high voltage ground fault. A module can have lower voltage than the other 27 modules. Neither of these occurrences would result in a "dead" traction battery as the battery can still produce power. However the traction battery ECU would log a DTC in either case because the traction battery is not safe to be used as-is and must be replaced.

When you say "battery terminals", I assume you are referring to the 12V battery. Low voltage across the 12V battery terminals typically is due to a discharged 12V battery. The battery is discharged because it is old and cannot hold a charge, or it is not being charged by the vehicle.

See my answer above. The fact that MG1 is spinning the engine is evidence that the traction battery is producing power. However that does not guarantee that the traction battery has no faults.

Use Mini VCI which is a Toyota Techstream clone. I have no idea how good your OBD-II code reader is. It might not report DTC logged by the traction battery ECU.

9. Barry CLEMENTS

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again Patrick. I was referring to the 12v terminals above. The battery is brand new as is the fusible link. I neglected to mention the 8.4 volts measured across the terminals was while car was in Ready mode. Also, please help a newbie with the meaning of DTC. Thank you for your patience.

10. Barry CLEMENTS

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DTC

11. Barry CLEMENTS

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DTC...Diagnostic Trouble Code...got it.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter definitely needs to be replaced. I can’t say that the traction battery is definitely good or bad.

I suggest you put a charger on the 12V battery while you are waiting for the replacement inverter to arrive.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 to that, and the sooner the better. The longer the 12 V battery sits in that severely discharged state, the more damage is being done to it.

Charge it up now.

14. Barry CLEMENTS

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. I actually unhooked the battery after a few no starts.